Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
  • i

Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer
    Shares
  • Print
  • Comment
Second-year Atlanta Falcons defensive back Dezmen Southward knows he's fighting for his job this week with no guarantee he'll secure a spot on the team's 53-man roster.

Southward came to the Falcons last year as a third-round draft pick out of Wisconsin. Although he recorded an interception and a sack, he had minimal impact as a rookie while playing free safety. Then he made the transition to cornerback under new coach Dan Quinn, who viewed the 6-foot-2-inch, 210-pound Southward as possessing the ideal body type and speed he desires at corner. Southward has not had a smooth transition to the new role, though, and hasn't really made any plays this preseason.

"The speed and the length that you see when we played at the end of the line, that's what I like," Quinn said of Southward. "The transition, sometimes when you see a lot at safety and you move over to corner, where I don't have to have the wide vision as much as I do, so I think the transition sometimes can be easier going from safety down the corner than vice versa, where I look at a little and then I go back into the middle and I look at a lot. In that way, we've been pleased with him at the end of the line."

Thursday's final preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens is important to Southward if he hopes to open the eyes of the coaches before the roster is set Saturday by 4 p.m. ET.

Desmond Trufantand Robert Alford along with newcomer Phillip Adams, rookie second-round pick Jalen Collins, and even undrafted rookie Kevin White.

Injury issues haven't helped Southward's cause, either, as he had offseason wrist surgery and arthroscopic knee surgery in May.

"The knee hurt me a little bit," Southward said. "At the same time, it wasn't so much the knee as it was the timing of it. If it was something I could have gotten done a couple of months earlier, it would have been a totally different story. But the fact that it was so close to camp, you don't get a chance to get exactly where you want to be. It's a little setback, but everyone playing football has setbacks. It's not really an excuse or anything. It's not a crutch for me."

Being a higher draft pick puts a little added scrutiny on Southward. The Falcons already have cut ties with three of the nine members of the 2014 draft class in fourth-round pick Prince Shembo, fifth-round pick Marquis Spruill, and seventh-round pickYawin Smallwood -- all linebackers.

Southward has a close bond with Spruill, who never recovered from tearing his ACL as a rookie.

"Marquis is a good friend of mine, but everyone has a different situation," Southward said. "I think no matter how high or how low of a draft pick you are, you can't succumb to or view it as more pressure. That's not how I see it at all. I see it as an opportunity. I see it as an opportunity to improve, to get better and fight. What are we all if we can fight through a little adversity? That's something that I'm looking forward to showing that I can do. I don't think it's going to be a big deal for me."

So if the coaches sat him down right now and asked why he belongs on the roster, how would Southward respond?

"I just think my work ethic, the way I work and the way I grind," he said. "I'm not sitting here complaining or crying about many other things that other guys would. I fight through injuries. I come to play and I prepare. And I'm continuing to get better."

We'll see how it all comes together for Southward on Thursday night as he sits on the roster bubble.

@Kaedus not lookin good for your boy breh :francis:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
I've never liked Dezmond Southward from jump street.

I'd take Thomas Decoud over Richardo Allen and Southward any day
if they could bring him back for the low.

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps

You out yo mind if you think Southward, Richardo Allen or Ishamel
are better at safety than Decoud.

Decoud isn't a bad player, he just the ''Whipping boy'' somehow all the blame gets put on him.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
You out yo mind if you think Southward, Richardo Allen or Ishamel
are better at safety than Decoud.

Decoud isn't a bad player, he just the ''Whipping boy'' somehow all the blame gets put on him.

He's not even on a roster right now.................

Sly Cookin

based
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
That was a great heads up play for mooney. That should lock up his spot as our fb.

Tevin coleman looks real good btw:whoo:

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Carlton Mitchell lookin good out there. I can't see him or Nick Williams clearing waivers tho