There's a game about the slave trade on Steam Greenlight (Now released on Steam)

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
the game is about freeing slaves what makes it offensive is how the africans are portrayed as helpless and unintelligent...had the graphics looked realistic and the dialogue not been in such a campy fashion where it makes something serious and violent seem light hearted it could have been more of a historical type of game that highlighted a historical instance of heroism at the time

now none of us have completed the game fully to see the full theme of the game though...I doubt the creator had ill intentions and probably is trying to highlight the evils of slavery since the protagonist character you play is attempting to free his sister

Daps
You play Tetris with slaves on a ship

And now there's a demo of the game: http://beta.dev.seriousgames.net/beta/playGame/ph2Demo

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

XII

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thanks for all the comments, and appreciate this is a sensitive subject. However, I really don't think that all the comments here are warranted - I will try and keep the eye on the ball. A few comments towards some of the feedback in here. Please try and keep the comments on the game.

1). We do in no way take the subject lightly. We have actually spend a lot of time researching this, and trying to thread a very thin line. We are definitely not making it into a joke. I have never heard anyone claim that we were racist with this game. I think it is a pretty harsh term to use based on a video. If you will enlighten me to exactly what parts you think are distasteful we are listening but general claims are very hard to do anything with.

2). I think it is a real shame that a lot of people are so ignorant towards the potential of games for more than entertainment. Like any medium or tool it can be used for good or evil. It is our aim to reach people that would normally not reflect or learn about this subject. Furthermore, I have a feeling that many of the negative reactions in here are knee-jerk reactions and she eps following what other says. Please take time to look at the game before forming your opinion.

3). In terms of what games come next all the games suggested all exist, and have actually for many years. Some of balanced and educational form. Others in propaganda games from political organizations.

4). I grant that the stacking of slaves in Tetris is a borderline example (it makes up about 30 seconds of the entire game) but please allow me to explain the point. Slave ships was actually almost stacked like you do in Tetris (google stacking slaves, and see the images) as you had to very careful to make the most room to earn as much money as possible - things had to fall into place. As such we try in the game to communicate the absurdity of the past. Our experience is that in the game it really gets people to think about just how absurd and cruel it is - trust me nobody is laughing or finding it a joke to play that kind of Tetris. They do however get a ahaa experience that will indeed haunt them. They will also discuss afterwards, and most of them will probably remember more than did from most their history lessons.

Bonus info: The game is used in around 300 Danish schools, and has been for a few years but recently we updated in with several new languages.
:mindblown:

BDsavage92

lil boi
Daps
Reppin
Earth
It doesn't look too bad, though it looks like something they let kids play in an elementary school's computer class. It doesn't look like it's trying to be offensive or trying to poke fun at the transatlantic slave trade.

:yeshrug:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Let them release the game. I don't believe in censorship. The game looks horrible and will fail on its own and the creator will be back working at Walmart in no time anyway. Theres bigger issues in the world than this piece of crap excuse of a game that we know is going to fail anyway. I'm sure it'll see downloads based on shock value alone but there is no doubt this will end up in the trash world wide.
The same rules that would quiet the voice of these types of outrageous morons are the same rules they would use against anyone else.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I understand that any fukked up person can make a game like this

but how steam let this get greenlit ? :dwillhuh:
They let Hatred get greenlit too. Steam's users hate censorship. There was a big hoopla about Hatred and censorship when steam tried to block it's sale. It's pretty much anything goes on steam right now. The users demanded it. Gabe is about his money

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
I had a feeling it was going to get the green light. You have to keep in mind it's the internet and a lot of racists can get behind stuff like this because they think it's funny or take the position the CEO is taking and hide in anonymity, it's too easy. Hell the reviews on Steam for the game are mixed meaning you had about an equal amount giving it good and bad reviews.