'There's a crisis in young American actors right now': Michael Douglas

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Veteran actor Michael Douglas has blamed social media for young American actors' losing out on top roles.

The 70-year-old has claimed rising British and Australian stars are taking the best parts from their US counterparts, who are too preoccupied with their image.

The Fatal Attraction actor, who is married to Catherine Zeta-Jones, branded the situation a 'crisis.'

07C57E1F00000514-0-image-m-88_1436362287404.jpg

+2
Fatal Attraction star Michael Douglas, pictured with his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones, claims American actors' are losing out on top roles due to their preoccupation with social media

'There's something going on with young American actors - both men and women - because the Brits and Australians are taking many of the best American roles from them,' Douglas reportedly told The Independent.

RELATED ARTICLES
Share this article
1A96B38200000578-0-image-a-89_1436362377885.jpg

+2
Douglas said British actors' take training more seriously

In Britain Douglas said actors' take their training more seriously, whilst in the States they are more concerned with their social media image.

'There's a crisis in young American actors right now,' he reportedly said.

'Everyone's much more image conscious than they are about actually playing the part.'

Douglas, who has won five Golden Globes, said Australian leading men were very masculine and in America they do not have many Channing Tatums or Chris Pratts.

The Behind the Candelabra star's comments come as he is coming to terms with the death of his mother, who passed away over the weekend.

Douglas is yet to comment on the death of, Diana, who lost her battle with cancer on Saturday at age 92.

The father-of-two is currently in London with Zeta-Jones to promote the upcoming release of his film Ant-Man.

In the film Michael plays Hank Pym, who mentors Paul Rudd's Scott Lang, teaching him how to use the Ant-Man suit so that he can retrieve Pym technology that has landed in the wrong hands.

Evangeline Lilly and House of Cards star Corey Stoll also star in the movie, which is set to hit theaters on July 17.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-media-stars-losing-roles.html#ixzz3fJXnYg3e
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
While true who cares? A crisis denotes something important, this isn't.

Crisis =/= importance. It's a turning point, or a period of instability leading to change.

I don't know what's worse....you coming into a thread solely to say "who cares?" or misusing a word to illustrate why you don't care. :snoop:

Fred.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
He has more of a point with actors but there are a nice group of really good young (under 35) actresses from the US currently working.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
He has more of a point with actors but there are a nice group of really good young (under 35) actresses from the US currently working.

That's what I was thinking and something I heard recently too. The group of actresses are fine but the young male american actors under 30? Cats may as well be extinct

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Crisis =/= importance. It's a turning point, or a period of instability leading to change.

I don't know what's worse....you coming into a thread solely to say "who cares?" or misusing a word to illustrate why you don't care. :snoop:

Fred.
If we are going with the dictionary let's use the entire definition:

crisis
[krahy-sis]
Spell Syllables
noun, plural crises [krahy-seez] (Show IPA)
a stage in a sequence of events at which the trend of all future events,especially for better or for worse, is determined; turning point.
a condition of instability or danger, as in social, economic, political, orinternational affairs, leading to a decisive change.
a dramatic emotional or circumstantial upheaval in a person's life.
Medicine/Medical.
  1. the point in the course of a serious disease at which a decisivechange occurs, leading either to recovery or to death.
  2. the change itself.
the point in a play or story at which hostile elements are most tenselyopposed to each other.
adjective
of, referring to, or for use in dealing with a crisis.

I think definition 2 and 3 support my point. Nice try though.
What's worse coming into a topic to discuss another poster instead of the topic at hand or being wrong altogether? No need to reply you can just internalize the answer.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As far as the topic at hand, he's right. Most actors care about their image more than expanding their craft. Most of them won't play a role outside of their comfort zone, either.

Fred.
Agreed. Other then Michael B who's getting it done right now?
That's what I was thinking and something I heard recently too. The group of actresses are fine but the young male american actors under 30? Cats may as well be extinct
I really thought Efron would be bigger by now.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Agreed. Other then Michael B who's getting it done right now?

I really thought Efron would be bigger by now.

He's not talking about "bigger" tho he's talking about the craft of acting breh...and he's not the first one to say it. @FlyRy sent me an article a few weeks ago from the new yorker i think saying the same thing that Douglas is saying. American actors aren't as trained as they once were and definitely aren't as trained as european actors. They're more focused on their image, their brand, and ducking TMZ cameras than the work. I'm not saying I agree with that or don't because he can see things I can't as a trained actor but he's also not the first to say it

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's not talking about "bigger" tho he's talking about the craft of acting breh...and he's not the first one to say it. @FlyRy sent me an article a few weeks ago from the new yorker i think saying the same thing that Douglas is saying. American actors aren't as trained as they once were and definitely aren't as trained as european actors. They're more focused on their image, their brand, and ducking TMZ cameras than the work. I'm not saying I agree with that or don't because he can see things I can't as a trained actor but he's also not the first to say it
Oh I agree then, it seems the lack of skill comes in right through these days. Cumberbach is dancing circles around his counterparts in every film.Would love to see that article.

Everybody Hates Chris has been doing pretty good, Dear White People, TWD, Cameo on Ballers and a Criminal Minds spinoff.
True, true, give him credit. But I wish he did more movies though.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734

Fred.
I think getting on your high horse to correct someone on a definition is worse than him dropping a "who cares," by a pretty big margin.