THEM: Prime Original Series 4/9/21(Season 2: 4/25/24)

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First 2 episodes in and it's a chore.

From the racist ass living people to the racist ass entity - do they catch a break with these staring ass weirdos.

I need some get back - I don't want this to be a horror flick on how terrorized an innocent black family can get.
Unless you count a slap and a bullet to a leg, aint no get back. And they never catch a break

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Elliot Smith @ IndieWire Nailed This shyt To a T

‘THEM’ Review: A Strong Start, but a Shaky Finish to Amazon Prime’s New Terror Anthology

...It may not be fair to continually compare this season of “THEM” to “Lovecraft Country,” but it’s hard to avoid. One strength of “Lovecraft” was that its characters retained a sense of agency. Yes, they suffered, but in many cases, they brought the fight or avenged their injustices.

In “THEM,” we see the Emory family and other Black people beaten, shot, maimed and hanged. Aside from one shocking incident, most of the white people get away with it. Yeah, that’s how it went back then (and now), but it’d be nice to have the tables turned in televised
escapism. You don’t walk away from this feeling particularly good, and that’s perhaps what Little Marvin intended, but many people don’t want to watch suffering for the sake of suffering.

“THEM” will return for a second season with a new cast and a new story, and it will be interesting to see where they go from here. Hopefully, they will be able to tell a story that stands on its own
:scust:

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I feel like a lot of people missed the point of this. Point was white people were the real monsters in this show. This also wasa deconstruction of the idyllic 1950s an era that white America in particular romanticizes almost fetishizes.
I don’t think any of that was missed. Lena just is a piss poor storyteller and they pedaled in black trauma in a way that wasn’t well received by most viewers. You can’t offend your viewer and then be like “you missed the point” how about you do a better job connecting your story to your viewers so you don’t have them turning away.

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Exactly, and let your kids go to an all white school. Like what you expect to happen?

EJVpW11WkAExrMY

Pioneers are not an uncommon thing.... :yeshrug:

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Watched whole thing in one sitting. 7.5/10. Couldve been shorter. I don't know why people are considering thing black trauma. The family wasn't on some victim shyt. They were putting in work the whole show:wow:. Dad was really with the shyts :banderas:.

When that cracker that thought she was free but got shot:russ:
When that guy was getting his ass beat in the street by the dad:pachaha:
When that Amish demon got sent straight to the underworld:whoo:

Last edited:

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
For one tap dance had me fukked up because even though he was taking Em down the drain further and further, that what you gone do shyt is real...whole time he was showing Emory what he looked like and was when he was trying to cater to the white folks. At least that’s what I got from it. It was very man vs self to me. It being the boss at the end kinda threw shyt off. The end is like they just had started running out of film and just slapped shyt together for tv sake.

Everybody got trapped in their respective demon but how the mom just came home and saved the day I wish it could’ve been stretched out more, more of a challenge.

I loved the black and white episode as it was one that had thorough and interesting story. Loved seeing them crackers burn lol I had to keep reminding myself this is just a show so many times I was ready to fight for the family and just getting tight over the white audacity that was portrayed.

Also what happened to the baby the woman was having they didn’t show anything that resulted from her water breaking. They were in stable then running away and that was it for that