Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
The world needs an African Game of Thrones

(WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Epic fantasy needs to leave medieval Europe. At least, that's what Marlon James, author of the Man Booker Prize-winning novel A Brief History of Seven Killings, thinks. In a recent interview, James talked about his upcoming book Black Leopard, Red Wolf, and described it as an "African Game of Thrones." And he's fully prepared to "geek the fukk out" with it:

extended entry

"I realized how sick and tired I was of arguing about whether there should be a black hobbit in Lord of the Rings. African folklore is just as rich, and just as perverse as that shyt. We have witches, we have demons, we have goblins, and mad kings. We have stories of royal succession that would put Wolf Hall to shame. We beat the Tudors two times over."

He's absolutely right. There's already a severe dearth of central black and brown characters in high fantasy. Judging from his letters and legendarium, Tolkien's work featured an inherent bias against "dark" peoples, usually casting them as servants of Morgoth and Sauron (though his writing did evolve to reject that early racism). George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire isn't much better, despite our collective love for Khal Drogo. These works are incredible on their own, but are inherently limited.

“Elevating African folklore to the level of the Lich Kings we know and love

A series with A Song of Ice and Fire's scope but set in medieval Africa would challenge how Western readers understand fantasy and the role of people of color in the genre. Black writers like N.K. Jemisin and David Anthony Durham already take on the genre with fresh perspectives about oppression and "darkness." James would take that one step further, calling on Africa's history and elevating it to a place where dragons and Lich Kings are already recognizable.

I imagine fantasy based on the rise and fall of the Mali Empire. Maybe the hero would lead a coup against the ruling Mansa, but be possessed by an Adze, or firefly spirit, telling him to turn back. And maybe Ananse the Spider would play the Varys role, telling stories and weaving lies to hide the truth of the empire's inevitable collapse. There are too many ways for a story set in Africa to be powerful and eye-opening and utterly surreal. I can't wait to see it happen.

The world needs an African Game of Thrones

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I completely agree. But the thing is, we keep supporting stereotypical trash like Empire and Power yet wonder why the only black shows that get made are in the vein of Empire and Power.
:patrice: "Power" isn't good? I was thinking about getting into that show tonight.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A book about the summer isles.
50-cent-blames-awful-pitch-on-jerking-off.gif

but then again is that what GRR thinks about black people?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I completely agree. But the thing is, we keep supporting stereotypical trash like Empire and Power yet wonder why the only black shows that get made are in the vein of Empire and Power.

:patrice: "Power" isn't good? I was thinking about getting into that show tonight.

Its entertaining but not 'good'. Lotta dumb stuff and soap opera stupidity to make the plot semi work. Not the worst show but not exactly high quality

So........ "Power" is basically a Black version of "Sons of Anarchy"?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Power is entertaining, but it's not good. It's not Empire bad though. My thing is that there's more to black people and black history than busting guns, sex, and the entertainment industry, but that seems to be the only way we get portrayed and the only shows that do well.