The Wire: I've always felt Brianna Barksdale was more despicable than De' Londa Brice

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
I know I'm in the minority on this one

anigif_original-grid-image-2190-1418766237-2.gif

Both were trash mothers, but if I had to choose the lesser of two evils, I'd go with De'Londa, mainly because of Brianna pressuring her son to go to prison for 20 years just so she can maintain her lavish lifestyle. Sure, De'Londa was using her son Namond as well, and presenting a meaner exterior (which is attributes to people's dislike of her, IMO) . But I believe in a lot of ways she just didn't know any better and thought that "Soldierin' " was the way to be. Not to let her off the hook because she did some shytty things. I just find Brianna's acts more reprehensible.

Just my .02

Last edited:

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Nah, I can't agree.

At most you could say they were equal, we just saw them are different stages in their lives. Brianna forced D'Angelo into the family business just as De'Londa was doing to Namond. There's no way De'Londa would be encouraging Namond to snitch or ok with him snitching if he got jammed up.
Yeah I think they were the same just in different parts of life....if Weebay doesn't give his son the greenlight to go with Colvin she would've still had that poor boy on the corner

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t see what the issue with Brianna is AT ALL. D’Angelo knew what he was doing and the situation he was in and was trying to turn bytch and shut the whole situation down for EVERYONE in their family. You gotta take that into account.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
The way I see it (and I could be wrong), but Brianna was worse.

Both mothers were "using" their sons, but Brianna's was more sinister. D'Angelo was a pawn to his own mother. She was fully indoctrinated in the game, and to her it was more than money. That's what all the "family" stuff was about with her. He was a pawn on the Barksdale chessboard and she was moving him (or urging him on how to move) for all of their benefit.

Namond's mother used her son, but she viewed him as more of a piggy bank than anything. On the surface that might seem worse, but it isn't. When she was trying to get money out of his father and other hustlers, she used him, so when that didn't work, she told him to go sell, but if a talent scout came around and said I'm looking to start a rap group and I wanna sign your son, she woulda done that. Same with ball, same with anything.

If D'Angelo was a lawyer, his mother would make him defend the fam. If he was a doctor, his mother would make him pull bullets outta soldiers. Whatever he did, wherever he did it, he woulda had to do it on behalf of the Barksdale clan.

Namond was a piggy bank, and whatever he did his mother was gonna bleed him, because she just wanted money.

D'Angelo, regardless of what he wanted or what he tried, was going to be pushed into the game, because his mother believed in the streets.

To me, that's way more sinister.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Both mothers were "using" their sons, but Brianna's was more sinister. D'Angelo was a pawn to his own mother. She was fully indoctrinated in the game, and to her it was more than money. That's what all the "family" stuff was about with her. He was a pawn on the Barksdale chessboard and she was moving him (or urging him on how to move) for all of their benefit.
Cersei Barksdale :damn:

Daps
The way I see it (and I could be wrong), but Brianna was worse.

Namond's mother used her son, but she viewed him as more of a piggy bank than anything. On the surface that might seem worse, but it isn't. When she was trying to get money out of his father and other hustlers, she used him, so when that didn't work, she told him to go sell, but if a talent scout came around and said I'm looking to start a rap group and I wanna sign your son, she woulda done that. Same with ball, same with anything.

If D'Angelo was a lawyer, his mother would make him defend the fam. If he was a doctor, his mother would make him pull bullets outta soldiers. Whatever he did, wherever he did it, he woulda had to do it on behalf of the Barksdale clan.

Namond was a piggy bank, and whatever he did his mother was gonna bleed him, because she just wanted money.

D'Angelo, regardless of what he wanted or what he tried, was going to be pushed into the game, because his mother believed in the streets.

To me, that's way more sinister.

I don't see how you can say Brianna viewed D'Angelo as pawn in the Barksdale org when she wanted him to boss up and run the org one day.

D'Londa was literally pushing Namond to be a pawn like his daddy.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I don't see how you can say Brianna viewed D'Angelo as pawn in the Barksdale org when she wanted him to boss up and run the org one day.

D'Londa was literally pushing Namond to be a pawn like his daddy.

Don’t take the word “pawn” literally. I’m talking more in the abstract - more like any old chess-piece.

Whether it was a pawn, rook, knight, king whatever. He was a piece on the Barksdale board to her.

Daps
Don’t take the word “pawn” literally. I’m talking more in the abstract - more like any old chess-piece.

Whether it was a pawn, rook, knight, king whatever. He was a piece on the Barksdale board to her.
Yea, and so was Namond to D'Londa...except she actually wanted Namond to be a pawn!