The Weeknd: The Official Thread

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Notice Rihanna got The Weeknd opening for her European tour. :sas1:

She needs it after all those bad reviews she got last tour bein late and shyt. Smart business move..

Populair

Guess what?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Just a Kid From Chicago
Great interview. Click the link below to read the entire thing.

I imagine things are nonstop these days.

It’s crazy, I took January off. Well kinda, I can't really take a day off, I’m always working. But I took the month off and I went back home to Toronto which is a safe haven -- nobody knows where you are, no paps, no anything. I just slept for a week straight. I didn’t speak for like two weeks to get my voice back because we were singing so much last year, especially the last half of the year. It was just so relaxing.

Recently you were here for two sold-out nights at the Forum. An arena packed with screaming fans is such a massive leap from when you debuted at Coachella a few years ago.

It was probably my third or fourth real show. I had the Mod Club [in Toronto, his first performance], a few shows in Ontario and then boom. It wasn’t just Coachella, it was the second biggest stage, the best hour. We’re hype now, but the hype was crazy back then too. It was a different kind of hype.

It’s a dream come true to be on that stage, but it was a nightmare. I didn’t know how to control my voice. ... I was scared. I watched the tape back and I said, ‘This is not right. I can do this, but I’m not going to do it like this.” I told my agent to book more shows. I didn’t want to put out another album until I was good enough to perform and kill the nerves that I have. I just kept touring and touring until it became second nature to go onstage, perform and sing. I’m much more comfortable on stage now than I was back then and it feels great.

It really felt like your coming out as a rockstar.

Nothing feels better than going on stage and everybody is singing every word -- and actually wanting to see you. I’ve opened up for people, and it's not the best feeling.

It must have felt great going back to Coachella last year and getting rave reviews.

Yeah, that was my revenge.

The late-night slot made you an official headliner, which must have been an added bonus.

That was the best feeling. It was a big moment. That was like my revenant, pretty much. I came back from the dead. It was revenge in the best way possible. And I hope to do it again.

When you first started and you were releasing your music online without showing your face or revealing your real name, was this moment, now, the end goal for you? Were you thinking this far ahead?

I was very in the moment, to be honest. Of course I always wanted to be the best that I could be. I had my own agenda. I wanted to drop three albums in a year because no one had done it. It was bold, unheard of. And the music no one had really done either. My agenda to be where I am now, came from after touring. Back then I didn’t even want to get on stage.

Really?

Yeah, but as soon as I got onstage and I saw people [it changed]. After I started touring I watched Live Aid with Queen, Phil Collins and Elton John and that’s when I said I want to do this: Big stadiums, bigger than life [records]. But back then, no. Back then it was just about the three albums.

"Nothing feels better than going on stage and everybody is singing every word -- and actually wanting to see you," the Weeknd said of his breakout year. (Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times)

What was the vision for “Beauty Behind the Madness”?

When I was performing the songs on “Kiss Land,” it was a great singalong. But there were moments where I realized some parts were catchier than the others. There’s maybe two choruses on all of “Kiss Land.” I wanted that feeling more for this album so that when I went back on tour I wanted people singing everything. The next album might not even be anything like this. It might be me whistling the whole thing. I get bored easily. Even when I write songs, sometimes I’ll start writing and I won’t even finish it, I’ll just go to the next.

There certainly has been a major shift in R&B between “Kiss Land” and “Beauty.” You turn on radio and even when it’s not you, it is you. To inspire a sound has to be flattering.

Oh it’s flattering, of course. It means what we’re doing is connecting with people. I mean you don’t want people to listen to your music and go, ‘I don’t want to do this.’ But only I can do what I do. It doesn’t feel like a threat or anything, it’s flattering. I would actually love to collaborate with a lot of the young artists coming out.

When did you first notice your style was catching on?

Believe it or not, around “House of Balloons" and “Thursday” [mixtapes]. I felt like elements of it was starting to be used in mainstream. Again, flattering. I’ve never listened to anyone and went, ‘Oh this guy is jacking my [expletive].’ It’s a great feeling. It means what we’re doing is right.

A big leap toward pop audiences started with the Ariana Grande duet. At the time it felt a little like a left turn for you.

It did. A lot of people say that what I do is experimental, but to me it was the norm. Going into that world really felt experimental for me. It was more of me wanting to work with someone like Max Martin. I’m a sponge, I really wanted to work with someone like him and his team. It was kind of my ticket into that room — and it worked.

And of course Ariana is so great. It was a smash no matter what music you listen to, there’s such a great vibe to it. It was great for my career. It was a great alley-oop for “Earned It” and everything else. it worked really well. I didn't think anybody knew who I was on that side of the world.

“Fifty Shades of Grey” was an obvious fit for your music, “Earned It” pushed you further into a new audience. Was knowing what the film could be — the massive built-in audience, the anticipation — the selling point for you?

I knew exactly what that movie was going to be. “Fifty Shades,” you certainly knew about it before the film. I did like five records for it actually. It wasn’t like, “OK, this is the one.” [“Earned It”] was a mix of the sexy, dark music I was doing and the Ariana Grande record. It connected as soon as you heard it. I had never done anything like that before. I don’t think anyone had heard anything like it before and getting nominated for it is just … wow.

It really drove the movie.

It’s very cinematic.

It was a highlight at Coachella.

At that time it was the biggest singalong record I had. “The Hills,” I had performed it but nobody knew what it was yet. I love moments like that.

Between “Earned It,” “The Hills” and “Can’t Feel My Face,” you were the king of pop radio this summer. “Can’t Feel My Face” really lit up in the zeitgeist — the covers, the parodies, you couldn’t escape it.

Tom Cruise lip-synced it! Seeing that, it did something to me. I mean, I had never done a record like that. It was a risk. You want to do risks. Will I do another song like it? I don’t think so, because I did it.

You made history with “The Hills,” when you replaced your own song at No. 1. Were you surprised at all that the less obvious hit was the bigger smash?

That’s probably the most important song in my career because it is the Weeknd and the irony being it was the most successful song that I had ever done. But would it have been as successful if “Earned It” and “Can’t Feel My Face” hadn’t come out? Maybe not. The stars just aligned.

Before you released “Can’t Feel My Face,” it leaked online. How do you deal with things like that?

Yeah, that was a nightmare. It ended up being some 16-year-old kid from Germany. It’s terrorism. They hack into your thing and then they ask for money. We worked fast. On top of that [happening] we were finishing the album. It was a stressful moment. But well worth it. What an experience, man. Every album is a great experience, a learning experience. And to now have a record and album of the year nomination.

This is a year where everyone has mostly agreed on the nominations. Is there one where you say to yourself, ‘I want this over any of the others’?

Of course. Puff [Sean “Puffy” Combs] once told me, once you taste a hit you want more. It’s blood. There’s no real answer to it other than yes. But you have to just sit down and enjoy the moment.

“I wanted to drop three albums in a year because no one had done it. It was bold, unheard of. Back then I didn’t even want to get on stage,” the Weeknd said of his anonymous start. (Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times)

You’re also nominated for an Academy Award. The controversy about diversity among the nominees this year has been widespread, and you’re the only major person of color nominated.

I didn’t even realize it. When I got nominated I wasn’t really looking at any other nominations. I was ecstatic, I was so happy. What an overwhelming feeling, it’s the Academy Awards. It’s like your hard work is finally getting recognized.

You know, music is so diverse. My fans couldn’t even put a face or color or anything to my music. The same with film, it’s such a diverse thing. Every movie you see now is inspired by diversity. So it’s unfortunate.... but I think it’s much deeper than the academy or deeper than the film or music industry. It’s an issue that the nation has been dealing with, and I’m glad this has sparked a conversation ... it needed to happen. And good for the academy for trying to make the new changes.

The Weeknd. (Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times)

Do you feel any extra or added pressure stepping into that room because of that fact?

Oh, yeah. If Chris Rock pulled out it would have been like holy ... I definitely can’t show up. [Laughs]

What’s next after this? A break? Back to the studio?

I’ve already started. What am I supposed to do? I’m a studio rat. All I do is make music. I’m thinking about music right now. How do I reinvent myself, of course. I’m not cutting my hair though. [Laughs]

How the Weeknd got his revenge and became one of the biggest pop stars

The Gawd is back in the studio and is about to bless us again this year after he takes home some Grammy's in two days and an Academy Award :lupeweeknd:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Im really curious what direction he goes in the next albu.

I think after the hills being his biggest record yet he is now free to not have to lean on pop songs like cant feel my face to be all over the radio.

The hills felt like a combination of his old dark sound and his newer pop sensibilities.

BBTM was very much an experimental record with him trying different sounds out, which is also why personally its his weakest album,it lacks the cohesive sound all his other projects possess.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Bamboozled as to how Acquainted has been made a single yet. That shyt has #1 all over it how did In the Night get the green light ahead of it :dahell:
In the night is in the top 20 right now.

Apparently acquainted was released as a single on feb 2nd. Its currently at #98. Video must be coming soon

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

Populair

Guess what?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Just a Kid From Chicago
Im really curious what direction he goes in the next albu.

I think after the hills being his biggest record yet he is now free to not have to lean on pop songs like cant feel my face to be all over the radio.

The hills felt like a combination of his old dark sound and his newer pop sensibilities.

BBTM was very much an experimental record with him trying different sounds out, which is also why personally its his weakest album,it lacks the cohesive sound all his other projects possess.

I agree after letting BBTM marinate for some months. The album is a departure from his past work because it isn't thematic. HOB's, Thursday, EOS, & Kiss Land all had a certain sound to it that allowed for the music to flow seamlessly song-to-song into the next one. BBTM sounds like a collection of songs, and I'm still not a fan of "Losers", "Prisoner", or "Angels" from the album. He said in the interview that he wanted to make songs that people could sing with & to, and it's apparent. Still, when dudes try to open their mouths and say that he fell off, I simply point to songs like "Often", "The Hills", "Tell your Friends", and some of his guest appearances lately, as an example that he can jump back into THAT bag - the sound that he's etched in the musical culture since first hitting the scene - at the drop of a hat.

He talked about making an album in the vein as "Gone" before, and he alluded to it again in the interview that I posted

("The next album might not even be anything like this. It might be me whistling the whole thing.")

That's personally what I want - just letting the creativity flow and being less formulaic.

As an aside, I finally checked out the movie Fifty Shades of Grey, and it's fukkin amazing how that movie could be some sort of biopic to his music. Whoever was responsible for tapping him for that soundtrack nailed it.

Captain

Save a thought
Daps
Reppin
Ethiopia
Who are some of you nikkas? Losing interest huh?

"I got you, ooooo
Baby I got you, ooooo

Until your used to my face
And my mystery fades
I got you

So baby love me
Before they all love me
Until you won't love me

Because they all left me
I'll be different
I think I'll be different
I hope I'm not different
And I hope you'll still listen

But until then
Baby I got you
I got you
Girl I still got you
I got you"

Did the Gawd not foresee all of this shyt? Levels......

:whew:

Populair

Guess what?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Just a Kid From Chicago
Open question to all: how do y'all feel about Weeknd clones? Are y'all able to even listen to them? Identify them if possible.....

A friend told me to check out this dude named Johnny Rain because she thought I might be able fukk with his music. He has some joints, but it's clear to me that this dude sat down & really studied the game tapes.

Example:

Song is cool, especially the 2nd half of it, but got damn.... Dude even attached "OD" to himself as oppose to Abel's "XO" :laugh:... Really curious what are y'all thoughts on this subject :observing:.

BLAZO da GAWD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW ERA
Open question to all: how do y'all feel about Weeknd clones? Are y'all able to even listen to them? Identify them if possible.....

A friend told me to check out this dude named Johnny Rain because she thought I might be able fukk with his music. He has some joints, but it's clear to me that this dude sat down & really studied the game tapes.

Example:

Song is cool, especially the 2nd half of it, but got damn.... Dude even attached "OD" to himself as oppose to Abel's "XO" :laugh:... Really curious what are y'all thoughts on this subject :observing:.

:camby:

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati

Example:

i'm for it because the style of R&B is dope, look at mr. i don't come and see you because you kill yourself when i do, but they keep forgetting past the style the weeknd had literally everything mapped out as well as a debut artist could and better than people with money. he had that xo branding. he had the mystery. the imagery with the covers that matched the singing. and he had these drugged out dark ass songs that were unique.

so they can do it because it has the chance to sound nice but they gotta understand they've already lost everything that made the weeknd what he is.