The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
EDIT-

Update:
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/bre...rving-high-paying-jobs-for-immigrants.819240/

"The demand for programmers is insane! :damn:"

"The demand for developers is tHrOuGh tHe rOoF! :damn:"

"The demand is crazy!!!! :leon:"

"Software brehs eating :eat:"

Please, please, please STOP listening to this regurgitated bullshyt. The demand is high for talented highly skilled senior developers/engineers, not regular people who learned how to code within a couple months/year and have a few mini projects under their belt.

Just look at all these posts and the comments about people on reddit who struggled to find jobs... Applying for as many as 300-900 applications and took months and even years to find a regular job. This is reddit too so you know we're talking about a lot of cacs/Asians.

Just type in "hard to find jobs" in any reddit page related to computer science/programming and the amount of frustration, struggle and stories are depressing AF. Mind you most of these aren't black people talking.

This field is not an easy field and almost impossible to break into. Again, these articles, ads and websites do a GREAT job of marketing coding, developing, and machine learning as the saving grace to society and pathway to success. For most people it will be a complete waste of time. I want brehs to be absolutely sure this is something that they wanna invest their time into. It's almost like trying to be a big time movie star or getting into the NBA.

I know the average breh don't got years to just be sitting around wishing on a star hoping that this coding stuff works out. Stop listening to these brehs that say "I got a coding job in 3 weeks after my bootcamp" or "I found a job in 2 months and only filled out 5 applications" it's all cap. No matter how many apps or websites you build and GitHub projects you've worked on... you can very well NEVER get a job in Development. It happens to way more people then it gets talked about.

Last edited:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I looked for a year, couldn’t find anything except those sketchy contract jobs with them Indian dudes in Kentucky and shyt. Said fukk it and just branched off into IT. :mjlol::yeshrug:I will say don’t bother getting into programming it unless you’re really passionate about it or just hella talented. I was decent at it but I definitely didn’t have a passion for it. :yeshrug:

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
No matter the subject, you should always be sceptical about what you read here and do your own research.
/ Thread

Also come join coli skilled trade brehs and get out of that entry level position HELL.

As long as I'm an electrician I will never work an entry-level position again.

The Realist Perspective

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We choose to code in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

A question a guy asked me during the first few days of college.

Him: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Nope.

Him: You don't have one or you don't want one?

I will never accept someone saying something is too hard. You simply don't want it enough. I especially will not push such discouraging and dissuading narratives the OP is pushing to a majority black forum.

Last edited:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
We choose to code in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

I will never accept someone saying something is too hard. You simply don't want it enough. I especially will not push such discouraging and dissuading narratives the OP is pushing to a majority black forum.

So you telling me the people filling out 500+ applications and getting no replies simply don't want it enough? :gucci:

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
"The demand for programmers is insane! :damn:"

"The demand for developers is tHrOuGh tHe rOoF! :damn:"

"The demand is crazy!!!! :leon:"

"Software brehs eating :eat:"

Please, please, please STOP listening to this regurgitated bullshyt. The demand is high for talented highly skilled senior developers/engineers, not regular people who learned how to code within a couple months/year and have a few mini projects under their belt.

Just look at all these posts about people on reddit who struggled to find jobs... Applying for as many as 300-900 applications and took months and even years to find a regular job. This is reddit too so you know we're talking about a lot of cacs/Asians.

Just type in "hard to find jobs" in any reddit page related to computer science/programming and the amount of frustration, struggle and stories are depressing AF. Mind you most of these aren't black people talking.

This field is not an easy field and almost impossible to break into. Again, these articles, ads and websites do a GREAT job of marketing coding, developing, and machine learning as the saving grace to society and pathway to success. For most people it will be a complete waste of time. I want brehs to be absolutely sure this is something that they wanna invest their time into. It's almost like trying to be a big time movie star or getting into the NBA.

I know the average breh don't got years to just be sitting around wishing on a star hoping that this coding stuff works out. Stop listening to these brehs that say "I got a coding job in 3 weeks after my bootcamp" or "I found a job in 2 months and only filled out 5 applications" it's all cap. No matter how many apps or websites you build and GitHub projects you've worked on... you can very well NEVER get a job in Development. It happens to way more people then it gets talked about.

Well for starters,there is no such thing as a computer science job. Graduating at one of the top schools will not even guarantee a six figure job within such short period of time,unless you know somebody. You do not study cs or learn to code because you want to get rich and that type of thinking does lead to failure. People that have studied cs are not just limited to only apply for software engineering jobs.

Online courses do not provide the relevant experiences or the curriculum that employees are seeking. Companies that pay well are going to have very high expectations.And stem itself is very competitive.

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps

This post isn't relevant to this thread but is a GREAT outlook for life in general

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
Ageism is also very much a thing in tech. Unlike trades and other careers where age is somewhat appreciated, if you're pushing 30 to 40 the road is gonna be 10x harder

Imagine being black, over 30, no experience, and looking for a job... :huhldup:

but senior positions in tech,tends to be filled up with older heads. That have been in the industry for a decade or two.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
If you truly want to code and have a good academic backing just apply to Georgia Tech or UPENN. GA Tech's masters will cost you about 10K and get you entry level jobs. UPENN will get you a job at Amazon, Facebook etc. with internship etc. Self learn coders have to be really good.

I went to grad school for coding n dropped out, mainly because I landed a cyber sec gig, which took me three years to land from the moment I told myself thats what I wanted to finally getting the job.