The tonedeaf war on Netflix at film festivals continues

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
In this scenario the issue isn't with the studios though, it's the theater chains (especially the smaller arthouse theaters) which make most of their profit of festival buzz films. If those are Netflix one-week only releases (that due to their limited release will already miss a ton of theaters), they will barely reap any box office profits from them.

This on-going war might have started as an elitist struggle against streaming services, but it's more and more becoming evident that it's the bypassed theaters who will suffer here.

This is also a great example. Netflix reportedly threw a guaranteed trilogy deal plus tons of money at the makers, but because they were adamant about bringing a picture with a full Asian cast to the big screen, they opted out of the Netflix deal. If they had taken it, it would've probably been buried in the gigantic slate of Netflix films that are released and forgotten about after a day because Netflix doesn't even advertise releases in a traditional way. The guaranteed pot of gold is too attractive for a lot of filmmakers, but if you have confidence, a theatrical release is still the fastest way to get attention on your product.
Possibly. But then All the Boys I Loved Before has been seen by more people than CRA and it's definitely been a bit buzzier if that makes any sense considering CRA topped the box office 3 weeks in a row.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Possibly. But then All the Boys I loved before has been seen by more people than CRA and it's definitely been a bit buzzier if that makes any sense considering CRA topped the box office 3 weeks in a row.

I have not heard anyone talking about All the Boys I Loved Before at all. Where are you seeing this?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I have not heard anyone talking about All the Boys I Loved Before at all. Where are you seeing this?
NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour just did a podcast on it today. A few other outlets did podcasts on it.

It's been viewed by 38K users on letterboxd (vs 17k for Crazy Rich Asians). It has over 25k ratings on IMDB (vs 16k for CRA).

Every time I turn on youtube i see interviews with the main actors who are now social media stars/darlings and its all over film twitter and pop culture websites the past few weeks. :yeshrug:

Netflix doesn't release numbers but it's obvious this has been a big success for them.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Possibly. But then All the Boys I Loved Before has been seen by more people than CRA and it's definitely been a bit buzzier if that makes any sense considering CRA topped the box office 3 weeks in a row.
Nobody gives a shyt how many people watch something on Netflix except Netflix executives, breh. :russ:

Theater audiences are people who specifically sought out a film and paid money specifically directed at the film in question. The same amount of money (or more) than they'd spend on a one month Netflix subscription. On top of that they only have limited choice of where and when to see said movie so they have to plan it around their personal time.

Theatrical success will always be the greater victory because it costs the audience all forms of convenience to experience yet they believe that it's worth it.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Nobody gives a shyt how many people watch something on Netflix except Netflix executives, breh. :russ:

Theater audiences are people who specifically sought out a film and paid money specifically directed at the film in question. The same amount of money (or more) than they'd spend on a one month Netflix subscription. On top of that they only have limited choice of where and when to see said movie so they have to plan it around their personal time.

Theatrical success will always be the greater victory because it costs the audience all forms of convenience to experience yet they believe that it's worth it.

I agree with you and I'm glad crazy Rich Asians got a theatrical release.

But this is the first Netflix to actually capture the Zeitgeist. I just find it pretty interesting.

It's also kind of cool to see these kids become like stars overnight.

Every Woman young or old has a crush on that kid he went from like no followers to 8 million on Instagram. (My wife is one of em :russ:)

And lana condor went from basically being cut out of the last x-men film to being known as an up-and-comer.

Feels like a new way of minting Stars

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Netflix movies are terrible for the most part so I'm indifferent on how the festival's treat them.
i like most of them.
but man, we watched that Forest Whitaker joint and that Extinction shyt back to back.
:francis:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

But this is the first Netflix to actually capture the Zeitgeist. I just find it pretty interesting.

Every Woman young or old has a crush on that kid he went from like no followers to 8 million on Instagram. (My wife is one of em :russ:)

And lana condor went from basically being cut out of the last x-men film to being known as an up-and-comer.

The first ? What about 13 reasons ?

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%

Nothing to do with the topic.. but I looked up the actress. Didn't know Deadly Class was getting made into a tv show

Dante Manning

Banned
Daps
And this site is a tough place to have these conversations because many of the people here only like comic book movies and television shows and seem to prefer to watch everything else at home. I wish I could've seen THE FUGITIVE or SYRIANA on the big screen. I missed out in both cases.

If Netflix continues to be intransigent to the festivals' perspective on how they release films, we are just going to keep going in circles. And unfortunately, in other countries the government regulatory bodies have a much larger say in how entertainment is disseminated to the public than USA does. A lot of these places will never allow Netflix to monopolize how they show content, the French most notably.

Just because Netflix is innovative, doesn't mean that all the traditional ways are now ineffective.
This isnt the type of movie that needed to be scene on the big screen, it was hard to catch each dialogue and the story could be seen as confusing and dense after first watch. This is exactly the kind of movie for streaming, good movie without a lot of action thats not a crowd pleaser lol

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Zeitgeist?

The Beasts of No Nation, 13th and Mudbound felt much bigger than Asian Love Simon or whatever. It's a cute lil movie tho :mjlol:

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
And this site is a tough place to have these conversations because many of the people here only like comic book movies and television shows and seem to prefer to watch everything else at home. I wish I could've seen THE FUGITIVE or SYRIANA on the big screen. I missed out in both cases.

If Netflix continues to be intransigent to the festivals' perspective on how they release films, we are just going to keep going in circles. And unfortunately, in other countries the government regulatory bodies have a much larger say in how entertainment is disseminated to the public than USA does. A lot of these places will never allow Netflix to monopolize how they show content, the French most notably.

Just because Netflix is innovative, doesn't mean that all the traditional ways are now ineffective.
1993 The Fugitive?