‘THE SUBSTANCE’ (Starring Demi Moore, Margaret Qualley) | Official Trailer | MUBI (9/20)

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
Saw this last night and it was by far the most wildest movie I’ve seen this year. Not really a fan of the body horror genre, but this shyt pushes the limits.

The trailer doesn’t do it justice…they did a good job hiding a good portion of the wild shyt that happens in this film..

Demi Moore deserves an Oscar nomination for this. She may not get it cause the Academy frowns on movies like this, but she acted her ass off.

Also at 61 she still looks :wow:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw this last night too. Thought it was very good. Loved the directors style and surreal set design, the way they shot people's faces, up close, and flawed. Thought it was too long and needed like 20 minutes cut, but not really complaining. Also thought it could have been more satirical of LA culture, it obviously was, and it wasn't subtle, but there's a lot of material that wasn't explored as far the club scenes, the food culture, the trends/social media but whatever. it's not my movie. Liked the constant billboard in her penthouse, that is a fixture of West LA life, every hotel on Sunset, you wake up to that.

as it was, it was a masterpiece of Cronenberg style body horror. Makes you uncomfortable. The first switch, and the food scenes were what me the most. The special effects were stunning. The gore. The themes of woman's bodies. Youth. The cult like fixation on health and wellness to detriment of all else. The color schemes in the hallways. Looked like a 90's movie theater. Reminded me of Body Double too. The editing, the soundtrack, it's a really dope movie. It was a 'real' movie, in a sense that it looked good, and looked surreal, immersed you in it's world. The European influence was obvious. Goes way way over the top, like that Suspiria remake at the end.

pretty sure I know women that would probably do that lol we all probably do. The skin care routines, the masks, the mosturizuers, the products, the make up, the hair curlers, straighteners, lotions, creams, lip stick, eye liner

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
What’s your overall thoughts?
Loved it. It’s Cronenberg af and practical effect lovers should have an absolute joy with it. Did think it kinda overstayed its welcome towards the back-half, but that last act is absolutely batshyt crazy. In a way, I was reminded of the Suspiria remake.

Demi’s surely joining the ever-growing list of actresses with monster performances that go unsung by the Academy due to their disdain of the horror genre.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
Loved it. It’s Cronenberg af and practical effect lovers should have an absolute joy with it. Did think it kinda overstayed its welcome towards the back-half, but that last act is absolutely batshyt crazy. In a way, I was reminded of the Suspiria remake.

Demi’s surely joining the ever-growing list of actresses with monster performances that go unsung by the Academy due to their disdain of the horror genre.
Dead ass…

I’m still mad that Toni Collette and Lupita Nyoung’o didn’t get a nomination for their roles in “Hereditary” and “Us.”