The Spiderman Movies went to shyt without Tobey Maguire

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Just nostalgia when Spiderman first came out it was :wow:, I remember even the ps2 game was banderas

Going back now movie was :scust:

F Tobey McGuire as well

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
1000% this.

Those first 2 movies were crack.

But comic nerds wanna argue about organic webshooters and shyt. Or now they're suddenly wack because they're not MCU :beli:

:camby:

Nerd revisionist history irks me too. Brehs been acting like the whole trilogy was wack the past few years when everyone was losing their shyt when they came out. And they had the box office records (at the time) to prove it

It is possible tho breh to just not have been a big fan of the first one when it dropped and love the second one which is exactly what happened to me. But I love those movies despite tobey because even at 16 he never popped for me. I remember being in the theater watching the first one just saying to myself that maybe he'll figure it out

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It is possible tho breh to just not have been a big fan of the first one when it dropped and love the second one which is exactly what happened to me. But I love those movies despite tobey because even at 16 he never popped for me. I remember being in the theater watching the first one just saying to myself that maybe he'll figure it out

That's understandable. For me, I loved them and they're still lovable. Well, not Spidey- 3, but that Sandman origin was a masterpiece.

Spidey 1 was good enough. For all of the criticism Tobey gets, a lot of it is deserved, James Franco doesn't get enough credit as Harry. And the entire Bugle staff plays out exactly as it does in the comics. The Rami Spideys also do a better job of explaining his entire world....which is important to me. Spidey 2 is just amazing. It has everything, and while Tobey stepped it up as Peter, I think Dunst was bland. But Ock vs Spidey x2, and then the last one with the train and the people stepping up. The Amazings just feel like more Spidey movies.

Overall both are flawed but I think the positives of Spideys outweigh the positives of Amazings. I think Tobey is a better Peter than Garfield, even though Garfield is seemingly based on Ultimate Peter. Garfield is a better Spidey as Ultimate, than Tobey as classic. But I think people don't realize that Spidey's quips in the books are quite corny and annoying. Tobey's Spidey just didn't talk enough. The only truly memorable scene in Amazings is the Gwen thingy, but we never get to see it weigh on him.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That's understandable. For me, I loved them and they're still lovable. Well, not Spidey- 3, but that Sandman origin was a masterpiece.

Spidey 1 was good enough. For all of the criticism Tobey gets, a lot of it is deserved, James Franco doesn't get enough credit as Harry. And the entire Bugle staff plays out exactly as it does in the comics. The Rami Spideys also do a better job of explaining his entire world....which is important to me. Spidey 2 is just amazing. It has everything, and while Tobey stepped it up as Peter, I think Dunst was bland. But Ock vs Spidey x2, and then the last one with the train and the people stepping up. The Amazings just feel like more Spidey movies.

Overall both are flawed but I think the positives of Spideys outweigh the positives of Amazings. I think Tobey is a better Peter than Garfield, even though Garfield is seemingly based on Ultimate Peter. Garfield is a better Spidey as Ultimate, than Tobey as classic. But I think people don't realize that Spidey's quips in the books are quite corny and annoying. Tobey's Spidey just didn't talk enough. The only truly memorable scene in Amazings is the Gwen thingy, but we never get to see it weigh on him.

But Tobey isn't even classic spidey which is my complaint. He's okay as Peter but once spider man 2 happens, his interpretation of Peter should've changed because Peter wasn't the same kid he was in college once he graduated high school. He was a lot more confident and more like his alter ego than anything else. So for Tobey to continue to play Peter as this mute with no backbone who never speaks up for himself or stands up for himself was frustrating to me. In the first one he's fine but he never nailed the humor of Peter or even the joy he felt of being spider man even when his real life was weighing him down. That's not ultimate Peter, that's Peter. Period. Playing the shy reserved nerd is fine but never growing out of that and never showing the other dimensions to the character just bugged me. Even more because some cats who've never read spider man feel like Tobey's interpretation is that character when in reality, he played the stereotypical version of Peter

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
fair enough breh. MCU stan revisionism still bugs me though breh. they've even started shytting on all the x-men flicks

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
But Tobey isn't even classic spidey which is my complaint. He's okay as Peter but once spider man 2 happens, his interpretation of Peter should've changed because Peter wasn't the same kid he was in college once he graduated high school. He was a lot more confident and more like his alter ego than anything else. So for Tobey to continue to play Peter as this mute with no backbone who never speaks up for himself or stands up for himself was frustrating to me. In the first one he's fine but he never nailed the humor of Peter or even the joy he felt of being spider man even when his real life was weighing him down. That's not ultimate Peter, that's Peter. Period. Playing the shy reserved nerd is fine but never growing out of that and never showing the other dimensions to the character just bugged me. Even more because some cats who've never read spider man feel like Tobey's interpretation is that character when in reality, he played the stereotypical version of Peter

I think that's why the Spidey No More works here. He's still not yet confident enough to be Spidey at the cost of his normal life. He's wrestling with the choices internally. He doesn't really become the confident Peter/Spidey until Gwen's death and MJ returns and he reveals himself to her. Now 3 should've been a more confident Peter. But even in the books, Peter is still a normal guy at most, with life whoopin his a$$ all of the time. He's never been a cool guy, and always an outsider. Even at school/work, everyone views him as a slacker and irresponsible and absent-minded/absentee...even though it's not the case. Peter Parker is still quite corny, which has only recently changed with his ANAD book. I don't have any problem with that being his primary characterization.

See. You got me ready to watch Spidey 2 tonight

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think that's why the Spidey No More works here. He's still not yet confident enough to be Spidey at the cost of his normal life. He's wrestling with the choices internally. He doesn't really become the confident Peter/Spidey until Gwen's death and MJ returns and he reveals himself to her. Now 3 should've been a more confident Peter. But even in the books, Peter is still a normal guy at most, with life whoopin his a$$ all of the time. He's never been a cool guy, and always an outsider. Even at school/work, everyone views him as a slacker and irresponsible and absent-minded/absentee...even though it's not the case. Peter Parker is still quite corny, which has only recently changed with his ANAD book. I don't have any problem with that being his primary characterization.

See. You got me ready to watch Spidey 2 tonight

He's always corny. He's always goofy and a bit weird but he's confident. And he gets that confidence making that transition from high school to college before Gwen and mj are even a thing to him. His confidence comes from being able to be spider man and it bringing out who he really is while the cornier or goofier aspects of his personality. Spectacular spider man is a perfect example of who Peter is and its not Tobey. It's a lot closer to Andrew

Last edited: