The Sopranos - The portrayal of Blacks

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
They are not supposed to be admirable characters. Every single person on that show is portrayed as a deplorable, with the exception of the children and Dr. Melfi.

They are violent sociopaths, and yes they are racist. It’s still an amazing show.

Yeah if anything show kept it 100%. It would have been inauthentic to portray that a$$hole or his inner circle as nice to black folk.

They were scumbags to their core.

Last edited:

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I haven't watched the videos but I remember that scene with the two cardboard cut out stereotypical black dudes that were gonna carry out a hit for Chris and when they got in the car one of them was like "don't tell my girl Kiyeesha (:comeon:) about this or I'mma have to start paying child support" or something like that. It's like they just had to throw that one in there.

The best black character was probably the dude who played a doctor who treated Tony when he got in an accident. The majority of the rest were portrayals that were way off.

Last edited:

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
If not there will be :scheme:

But what is a "good light" because I think the Coli often double speaks on this...
We shall see with Black Panther coming. Black-ish is the only network tv show that shows Black people in a good light. I can't think of any other shows or movies recently. I'm sure there's more.

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
But tony soprano seemed to be cool with that preacher black dude and his father he gave the turkeys to
:russ:Forget it breh, this show went over a lot of heads in terms of black people. Take Meadows black boyfriend, in the end he was a better person than an italian Jackie who Tony preferred and he let his racism cloud the fact that Jackie was a worthless piece of shyt. Also this scene

Look at the comments, they just don't get it. Tony and the government official are literally conspiring to destroy this poor neighborhood and yet they are being hypocrites by saying that they should "pull themselves up like his family did". Or how when you break it down they are criminals pretending they are better or something.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
We shall see with Black Panther coming. Black-ish is the only network tv show that shows Black people in a good light. I can't think of any other shows or movies recently. I'm sure there's more.
I doubt Black Panther will be about literally black royalty and have negative portrayals of black people but then again people's of what's acceptable or unacceptable are different. I'd say This Is US but I don't watch the show and I know the majority of the cast isn't black.

But I say the Coli double speaks because on one hand there will be threads and posts about how a "real nikka" you have to have experienced certain things growing up, usually things rooted in struggle or negativity that the hood breeds. Cats talking about what city is harder than the others. Brehs bragging on being a hood knockout artist or running through women on the strength of a dubsack and wings. Deeming folks "new Blacks".

Yet seem to have chagrin that there aren't a slew of shows about upper middle class Black people...who somehow still manage to "keep it real/hood". I don't know if ts the 6 figures 6 certs shyt rearing it's head but it's like this board expects all black characters to come from nothing to 6 figures or come from old black money, all while having a 6-7 man cast of supporting roles who are similar. There was a thread in which some posters were fussing on Power and Empire portraying dysfunctional Black people that opened my eyes to this...a crime drama and night time soap opera aren't going to feature modern interpretations of the Huxtable and Banks families.

I'm trying to develop a series that some Brehs on here wouldn't like because
1) The lead protagonist is mixed
2) His other family is fairly accepting, at least the immediate other family
3) His woman isn't chocolate or even Black
4) Criminality is abundant

But I'm hoping that the period it's set in, the city it's set in finally having their hidden black/brown populace revealed to the country, the hero's security and insecurity in his identity, and the intelligence the characters show offset some of those things. I want to make a true realistic show but I may be too optimistic in people being realistic about what a show will bring.