The role of the black women in contemporary black America?

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Some black folks have an expressed a fear about the Trump administration. I'll reserve my comments about that. In short, I believe it's ridiculous. What do you believe is the role of black women in contemporary black America? In this "resistance movement" (if there is one), what do you think black women's place is? In the past there have been complaints that black women have been put in the back when it comes to resistance against slavery, i.e. revolts, resistance and fighting for our rights via the civil rights movement etc. Some have theorized this has allowed for black women to be exploited by white women for their own "feminist" gains that haven't benefited black women in history period (naturally). So if there's some new resistance movement, the anti-thesis to BLM if you will, how does the black woman fit in? What's yall thoughts?

Black women can be whatever they want to be in the struggle, in my opinion.

shhh-kull & bones

Judah have I loved, Esau have I hated! -GAWD
Daps
Reppin
BK, USA
:mjlol:

Some of you clearly are not ready for a fight IMO.

...these dudes might as well cut their balls off and wear dresses and see how that movement goes

...oh wait that movement already started with those so called lgbt/queers

that stuff is really helping the black community get far ahead of themselves :sas2:

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Repeat the mistakes of every single revolutionary movement in the past brehs.
"We should put up another Cleaver" brehs.

Familia, when you start a movement much less a revolution with gender quotas you already lost from the get go. At that point you’re more interested in stroking egos rather than emancipation. IMO when you’re in a fight for survival the cream naturally rises to the top. Women would automatically be deep in the mix by sheer necessity alone. Look at the Kurdish fighting units, Eritrean liberation movement. Israeli Defense Forces etc

stock-image-of-eritrean-women-soldiers-marching-on-parade-and-in-camouflage-a03epm.jpg

Peshmerga-Women.jpg

Not much misogyny going on. :francis: When you’re that outnumbered every body counts.

Let me ask you this, when the Americans were fighting for independence did George Washington pause and ask ‘’how many gays do we have as generals? How many women captains?’’

No. They were trying to build a better country for their people and everyone benefits from that. Why fight over how much fighting men and women are doing :what:

Whoever can organise things the best naturally leads. It may be a woman, it may be a man.

Gender and other issues are wrinkled out when discussing the type of society you want to build after emancipation.

In my humble opinion of course.:biggrin:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Some black folks have an expressed a fear about the Trump administration. I'll reserve my comments about that. In short, I believe it's ridiculous. What do you believe is the role of black women in contemporary black America? In this "resistance movement" (if there is one), what do you think black women's place is? In the past there have been complaints that black women have been put in the back when it comes to resistance against slavery, i.e. revolts, resistance and fighting for our rights via the civil rights movement etc. Some have theorized this has allowed for black women to be exploited by white women for their own "feminist" gains that haven't benefited black women in history period (naturally). So if there's some new resistance movement, the anti-thesis to BLM if you will, how does the black woman fit in? What's yall thoughts?

Sorry for being late to this thread. Anyways, some say the Black Panther Party were anti-women. But I personally don't know about that. The only person from the BPP who were oppressive to women that I know was that nut Eldridge Cleaver, but other than that I don't know. Blacks from what I've seen don't have a history compared to whites in oppressing our women. Not denying abuse that have happened, but it was not on the same oppression as white men on white women.

I don't even know why people think black men force black women to take the back seat. Its like they forget about Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Assata Shakur, Kathleen Cleaver, Elaine Brown, Septima Clark and many, many others. Hell even back in Africa many women have the same rights as men even in MUSLIM MAJORITY countries like Mali and Senegal! If anything this seems to be feminist propaganda that black women are oppressed and I'm not trying to take shots as black women, but black women imo have it easier compared to other groups of women. Black women roles in this movement will be as equals because it doesn't matter who liberates blacks but that blacks be liberated by any means necessary! To me it will mirror the Ancient Egyptians where both the male and female pharaohs(there were no word for "queen" in AE) were equal in ruling and fighting off foreigners.

Black women will be helpful if they call out FAKE feminism which stagnants our progress and also the ones behind BLM. Black women role should be knowing that the "feminism" that got from the 70s was a lie and help build a stronger black movement that would be hard to corrupt.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Familia, when you start a movement much less a revolution with gender quotas you already lost from the get go. At that point you’re more interested in stroking egos rather than emancipation. IMO when you’re in a fight for survival the cream naturally rises to the top. Women would automatically be deep in the mix by sheer necessity alone. Look at the Kurdish fighting units, Eritrean liberation movement. Israeli Defense Forces etc

stock-image-of-eritrean-women-soldiers-marching-on-parade-and-in-camouflage-a03epm.jpg

Peshmerga-Women.jpg

Not much misogyny going on. :francis: When you’re that outnumbered every body counts.

Let me ask you this, when the Americans were fighting for independence did George Washington pause and ask ‘’how many gays do we have as generals? How many women captains?’’

No. They were trying to build a better country for their people and everyone benefits from that. Why fight over how much fighting men and women are doing :what:

Whoever can organise things the best naturally leads. It may be a woman, it may be a man.

Gender and other issues are wrinkled out when discussing the type of society you want to build after emancipation.

Agreed 100%!!!! Said it better than I did. This is why I say this gender war is nonsense and only stagnant our progress.

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
When you look at the role of Black women historically when it comes to being on the frontlines against oppression and imperialism then you'll see that they were always fighting along side Black men. For example, the Berber Queen Al Kahina fought off the Arab invasion in the Mahgreb, Queen Nzinga fought the Portuguese, and Yaa Assantewaa fought the British. Not to mention, you also had female regiments like the Dahomey warriors.

You also see that same spirit of resistance in the US with Harriet Tubman, Maggie Jones, Ida B Wells, Fannie Lou Hamer, Ella Baker and many others. Black women have always been heavily involved in the fight against imperialism and oppression. I don't see that changing at all. If one is capable of doing a job then it shouldn't matter what gender they are.
I agree. Ideally, they'd be right beside the black man--and instead of being at the forefront of a fight that isn't conducive to the actual well being of blacks, one that focuses on spreading a different agenda(like with BLM) they would be fighting a fight that would ultimately seek to improve the state of black families, and they would support, encourage and uplift the bm.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
Sorry for being late to this thread. Anyways, some say the Black Panther Party were anti-women. But I personally don't know about that. The only person from the BPP who were oppressive to women that I know was that nut Eldridge Cleaver, but other than that I don't know. Blacks from what I've seen don't have a history compared to whites in oppressing our women. Not denying abuse that have happened, but it was not on the same oppression as white men on white women.

I don't even know why people think black men force black women to take the back seat. Its like they forget about Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Assata Shakur, Kathleen Cleaver, Elaine Brown, Septima Clark and many, many others. Hell even back in Africa many women have the same rights as men even in MUSLIM MAJORITY countries like Mali and Senegal! If anything this seems to be feminist propaganda that black women are oppressed and I'm not trying to take shots as black women, but black women imo have it easier compared to other groups of women. Black women roles in this movement will be as equals because it doesn't matter who liberates blacks but that blacks be liberated by any means necessary! To me it will mirror the Ancient Egyptians where both the male and female pharaohs(there were no word for "queen" in AE) were equal in ruling and fighting off foreigners.

Black women will be helpful if they call out FAKE feminism which stagnants our progress and also the ones behind BLM. Black women role should be knowing that the "feminism" that got from the 70s was a lie and help build a stronger black movement that would be hard to corrupt.

Good post. As for the bolded, excellent point and that part had me confused about the op, black women were never in back during revolutions. Although, black women are often left out or forgotten for the bravery they displayed and contributions they've made during black movements.

As far as black women being oppressed, that is true. I think you guys often overlook how much many black men have ingested white doctrine, particularly in America. I agree it is found to be different back in Africa, but many black men emulate white men/white women relationship dynamics, example being wanting to dominate women and their views on relationships.

As far as what is our role in the black community/movement, I say whatever we want. Everyone has different talents and ideas, we shouldn't be put in a box. This goes back to what I stated above. Black women have always been leaders and big contributors to society and the black community.

It's a very European mindset to think we should be quiet and do nothing or have our role be downplayed. I think the reason many black people have an issue with what role black women should play is because of European indoctrination. White people view women as weak, unintelligent, overly emotional, and often in the way, as we saw with this past election. Being in their society so long has many of us believing the same. We need to get back to our African roots and thinking. From everything I've learned, black men and women have always viewed each other as partners, not one being superior to the other. Even when it's a patriarchal black society, black women never seemed oppressed and were still seen as an equal. I think recognizing this and altering our minds would help us in general, then the unnecessary gender wars can cease and we can make progress.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Peshmerga-Women.jpg

There's a massive difference between "quotas" and literally "barring people from combat" you're arguing against a point I didn't make.
The BPP literally pushed women to the back even as they rose up, nothing about "quotas."
And the Americans weren't doing too well in the Revolution, check out the Western European country that carried us to victory.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:patrice: This is pretty thought provoking. I come from a matriarchal family but they are quite selfless and try to help the family unit. I don't see them like revolutionaries like the Panthers are but of course they took on the burden of raising a family unit without that much support.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
By nature Women are natural Organizers and Managers. Women were never put in the "Back", in war you never send the women to the battle field because if the men die, who is left to raise the children? Why would a Black man want his woman to fight his enemy instead of defending her from that enemy? If a woman wants to be on the front lines more power to her but ain't no other group sending their women to battle.
though he is a bit radical and I don't agree with all of of it, he does make some interesting points.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
There is no "black" America. And we need to realize that.

We do not operate independent of America.

We are apart of the wiring of the country. EVERYTHING we produce oil the wheels of the machine.

That'll be our first step.

And I don't mean "Look for a seat at the table." White people will not do that strictly because of our skin color.