The Rise And Fall Of GameStop

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
New games from the online store come opened.... I’m surprised they have never been sued about that.

they been doing that shyt in store for the longest

I remember in the early 2000s...bought my little cousin a game for PS2 on his birthday...I took what I thought was the display case to the counter and to my surprise he pulled a “CD” envelope out from a drawer and put the game in the case and rang it up...I’m like it’s supposed to be new...he said it is...we just do that to prevent theft...I’m still pissed cuz it’s supposed to be a birthday gift and now it’s looking like I’m giving dude a used game...gave it to him and told his pops to test it out after I explained what happened at gamestop...shyt didn’t work...PS2 couldn’t read it...everyone was like chill we about to cut the cake but I couldn’t let it go...speeded back to gamestop immediately and was ready to go off if they didn’t give me a return or a new game...a real new game not that bullshyt they do...so dude gave me a shrink-wrapped game...shyt worked this time smh...that might’ve been the last time I bought a physical game from them

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
they been doing that shyt in store for the longest

I remember in the early 2000s...bought my little cousin a game for PS2 on his birthday...I took what I thought was the display case to the counter and to my surprise he pulled a “CD” envelope out from a drawer and put the game in the case and rang it up...I’m like it’s supposed to be new...he said it is...we just do that to prevent theft...I’m still pissed cuz it’s supposed to be a birthday gift and now it’s looking like I’m giving dude a used game...gave it to him and told his pops to test it out after I explained what happened at gamestop...shyt didn’t work...PS2 couldn’t read it...everyone was like chill we about to cut the cake but I couldn’t let it go...speeded back to gamestop immediately and was ready to go off if they didn’t give me a return or a new game...a real new game not that bullshyt they do...so dude gave me a shrink-wrapped game...shyt worked this time smh...that might’ve been the last time I bought a physical game from them

High key the reason why I stopped going there. nikkas can sell you opened games, and games that employees “borrow” as new. But if you buy a shrink wrapped game from them, open that shyt right in front of them, then try to return it, they won’t do it. fukk outta here

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At a basic level, it sucks to see them close, since having less places to buy games will ultimately be back for the consumer.

But as someone who has had almost nothing but negative experiences there, fukk this company. With most companies, they at least try to mask how hard they're fukking you. With Gamestop, their trade-in rates compared to what they sell used games for are so blatantly fukked up that it's sickening. On top of that, their aggression with driving pre-orders makes any interaction inside a Gamestop the absolute worst.

I remember rolling into Electronics Boutique and enjoying just browsing. There were times I would pick up a fun bargain bin game solely because I was able to get in and out without having to say no for a solid five minutes over shyt I wasn't there for, and had no interest in. :hhh:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Never had that disc in an envelope shyt happen to me but fr fr Gamestop was a bytch to deal with. Always on some bullshyt, not really sad to see em go under. :smugfavre:

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
I haven't shopped there in years but I think the people that want to see them close are crazy. Software prices just went up and you asking for less options on where to buy games? :patrice:Nah I can't cosign that.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't shopped there in years but I think the people that want to see them close are crazy. Software prices just went up and you asking for less options on where to buy games? :patrice:Nah I can't cosign that.

It's less that people want one less option, people just don't want THEM to be an option. Their business practices are really just that bad.

Buying a video game shouldn't take 20 minutes minimum, or happen in an environment as depressing as the inside of any Gamestop is.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"There's a big chunk of the population that look at that disc as a 20 dollar bill" :wow: