The Remake of Superfly > The Original Superfly

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
watched both of them yesterday

for what it's worth, both these movies are just ok, nothing really ground breaking

however

the soundtrack is the only standout thing in the original

a moment of :banderas: for this

but the original is just spotty, the dialogue is borderline cartoonish and over the top. It's too 70's for the sake of being shot in the 70's.

and Ron O Neal is not intimidating. I don't know if it's his accent but nothing he says is actually convicting other than when he says Tonight in the Fat Freddie Scene

But the Remake ain't exactly Godfather II, the soundtrack doesn't hit at all, and I think the breh Trevor Jackson need to kill that hairdo, way too European influenced for my liking.

But the Snow Patrol tho :banderas: them brehs

DfsMADlX0AAuXuM.jpg

really, they should've made this movie tell two stories.

But yeah, I think remake is way more impactful and stylish. The action scenes were the right amount of fukkery for a fictionalized take on Atlanta.

HOWEVER

I do think it could've been a mini-series on netflix to flesh it out.

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
IN

before someone says "alphabet gang" strikes again

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
but the original is just spotty, the dialogue is borderline cartoonish and over the top. It's too 70's for the sake of being shot in the 70's.

and Ron O Neal is not intimidating. I don't know if it's his accent but nothing he says is actually convicting other than when he says Tonight in the Fat Freddie Scene

:ufdup: Ron O'neal's performance was so convincing as Superfly he had trouble getting work after cuz movie execs thought he was a real street nikka just playing himself on camera. Ron O'neal was a classically trained actor and acting coach and was doing Broadway all before Superfly.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Compare an independent film to a big budget production brehs

The new superfly is missing that auteur touch that the original had. With that said, I still enjoy it and have seen it twice. The new superfly is basically a movie made for coli nikkas. He living the life brehs cap about here all the time :russ:

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
:manny:That don't mean nothing to me. Out of touch cacs not knowing the real from the fake is a tale as old as time.
:ufdup: Ron O'neal's performance was so convincing as Superfly he had trouble getting work after cuz movie execs thought he was a real street nikka just playing himself on camera. Ron O'neal was a classically trained actor and acting coach and was doing Broadway all before Superfly.

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Hell No.

The remake doesn't have the vibe, music, or scenery of the first movie. When it was announced that the remake would be taking place in ATL I automatically knew that shyt was trash :mjlol: nothing can beat that classic 70s NYC look, and up to this day I've still haven't taken the time to watch it.

My mom and dad were kids back when the original came out and when they saw the commercial they were disgusted and said that shyt was garbage and even clowned how the actor because his looks weren't convincing for the part.