The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Man I wish you could sell games in your Steam account.
Your wish is granted

French court rules Steam users have right to resell their games

News by Matt Wales, Reporter

Updated on 20 September 2019

A court in France has ruled that Steam users have the right to resell their games, following a case brought against the digital storefront giant by consumer group UFC Que Choisir in 2015.

The consumer group initially bought the case to the District Court of Paris (as reported by French websites Next Impact and Numerama) in order to contest the legality of certain clauses within Steam's Subscriber Agreement under European law. Of primary concern was UFC Que Choisir's belief that digital games should, like their physical counterparts, be eligible for resale.

Ultimately, judges agreed with the organisation, using a 2012 European Court ruling (which said that a transaction for digital goods still implies the transfer of the right of ownership) as the basis of its decision, saying that Valve "can no longer oppose the resale of this copy...even if the initial purchase is made by downloading". Valve's terms attempted to frame a sale as a 'subscription' to a product, but the court ruled that users were, in fact, purchasing licenses, enabling European law to come into play.

A number of other rulings we made in favour of the UFC Que Choisir too, with the court proclaiming that fourteen clauses in Valve's Steam Subscriber Agreement could not be enforced. For instance, judges said Valve cannot legally keep the contents of Steam Wallet funds when a user leaves the platform, and users should be reimbursed when requested. Additionally, it said that Valve should accept responsibility when software used on its platform harms a user, even if it's in beta, should reduce its claim on mods and user-created content, and must be clearer about the ways players can lose access to their Steam library for poor conduct.

If Valve refuses to abide by the ruling and post the French court's decision to Steam within a month, it will have to pay a fine of 3,000 Euros per day for up to six months.

With this success in the bag, the UFC Que Choisir says it plans to take action against other platforms and products - although it's worth noting that the case isn't yet closed. Valve still has the right to appeal and, as Doug Lombardi told PC Gamer in a statement following the ruling, that's exactly what the company plans to do.

"We disagree with the decision of the Paris Court of First Instance and will appeal it," said Lombardi, "The decision will have no effect on Steam while the case is on appeal".

This isn't the first time that Valve has been involved with courts over its perceived anti-consumer practices, of course. In 2014, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission sued Valve (ultimately with success) over its failure to comply with local consumer law by denying purchasers the right to refund their games. The ACCC argued that while Valve had no physical presence in the country, the goods it sold were still subject to local law.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
is that like xbox game pass? :patrice:

Yeah, it's basically the same, but it doesn't stop there. Microsoft is offering new and current subscribers to Game Pass Ultimate(XBL gold; PC and Xbox GP) can get 3 months for $1 plus 6 months of Spotify, 1 month of EA Access, and three months of Discord Nitro. You'd be a fool to not try it out.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Yeah, it's basically the same, but it doesn't stop there. Microsoft is offering new and current subscribers to Game Pass Ultimate(XBL gold; PC and Xbox GP) can get 3 months for $1 plus 6 months of Spotify, 1 month of EA Access, and three months of Discord Nitro. You'd be a fool to not try it out.
the ultimate gives you xbox live gold too? :ohhh:

i dont get the $1 option. I think I had done something when they ran the deal back over the summer and i canceled my subscription and it messed something up cuz all i ever see is 14.99

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
RDR2 is restoring the ‘13 and ‘14 feeling. In the worst way possible. :beli:

The game won’t even go past the logo screen, which just runs on an infinite loop :beli:

I download the new drivers, the new patch...nothing. The fukking game won’t run. I can’t even run the benchmark :beli:

I thought we were past this. Most other games run with no problem. I haven’t had a problem with a game in like 2 years. RDR2 comes out and I remember how fukking frustrating pc gaming can be. Goddamn it:snoop:

These companies don't give a fukk. That's why I don't buy games until I see a lot of good user reviews.

To make matters worse these companies make it a hassle to get a refund.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
the ultimate gives you xbox live gold too? :ohhh:

i dont get the $1 option. I think I had done something when they ran the deal back over the summer and i canceled my subscription and it messed something up cuz all i ever see is 14.99

Ultimate gives you XBL Gold; GP for Console, and PC Game Pass. If it's not letting you join Ultimate for $1, just get PC Game Pass(it's at worst $5/month) and then get a year of XBL Gold($60). Doing this is cheaper than getting Ultimate(a yr of Ultimate is $180), because a year of XBL Gold and PC Game Pass is combined $120(both a yr of PC GP and Gold are $60 each).

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Do all new computers with Win10 run like shyt straight out the box? :rudy:
I’ve never heard this. Windows 10 flies on an SSD in my experience even after all of the updates.
How many brehs got 1440p? Think it might officially be time to up my 1080p/144hz.

4k60 with mixed medium-high-ultra :wow: gorgeous with stable frames. On the benchmark the low was like 37, avg 59.XX with vsync on. Even in Saint Denis it was smooth af

Different world from the console versions
I’ve been playing on 1440p for over a year now. :wow:

Most say 1080p 144hz is the sweet spot, but 1080p looks blurry to me now.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Ultimate gives you XBL Gold; GP for Console, and PC Game Pass. If it's not letting you join Ultimate for $1, just get PC Game Pass(it's at worst $5/month) and then get a year of XBL Gold($60). Doing this is cheaper than getting Ultimate(a yr of Ultimate is $180), because a year of XBL Gold and PC Game Pass is combined $120(both a yr of PC GP and Gold are $60 each).
Yeah that's something to consider since I rarely use my xbox these days anyways.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I’ve never heard this. Windows 10 flies on an SSD in my experience even after all of the updates.

Straight outta the box

A dell all in one form best buy

And it ran like trash right after setup...youd swear it had a virus running at 100% cpu or 100% Disk

I exchanged it for the same one and had the same problem

I was gonna get thia hp all in one from walmart and watch a unboxing and it ran like shyt and the streamer blamed slow internet because edge was slow
Win 10 is full of bloatware and unnecessary crap, you can do like me and get rid of most junk through powershell commands.

:snoop:

Yo Microsoft legit told me to reinstall Win10 on a deaktop i bought two hours earlier

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
Straight outta the box

A dell all in one form best buy

And it ran like trash right after setup...youd swear it had a virus running at 100% cpu or 100% Disk

I exchanged it for the same one and had the same problem

I was gonna get thia hp all in one from walmart and watch a unboxing and it ran like shyt and the streamer blamed slow internet because edge was slow

:snoop:

Yo Microsoft legit told me to reinstall Win10 on a deaktop i bought two hours earlier

:skip:

That's foul :francis: