The Overlooked Genius of Training Day

Brolic Scholar

Licensed Text Technician
Daps
Reppin
Unknown Side Effects
On its surface, Training Day is a movie about a corrupt detective, Alonzo Harris, using a “training day” as a cover to lure Jake Hoyt into becoming a pawn in his mission to rob a drug dealer. If all goes as planned, Alonzo can pay off his debt to the Russians.

giphy.gif

Hoyt is key to Alonzo’s credibility in robbing and killing a drug dealer because he is a “virgin shooter”. Alonzo’s plan is detailed and he has built in contingency measures for various scenarios. It’s interesting to think about, but that’s really not the point of my post.

tumblr_nzdedoTJ3W1rxmai6o1_400.gif

The real genius of this movie is placing a black man in what is typically a white man’s role: the lying, thieving, murderous cop that will use the built in credibility of their position to fukk up other people’s lives.

It also places a relatable white man (thinks he’s cool, just doing his job, trying to advance, family man) in the typical role of a black person when dealing with the cops: in a position of having no control over the outcome of his dealing with a police officer.

tumblr_ow97bevE2p1u1q8dno3_r1_400.gif

Training Day is actually training the audience. The audience is unaware of it, but your average white person not interested in hearing what black people have to say about police brutality and corruption are thrown into the position of having to experience it through Hoyt’s character.

Think about it...

Brolic Scholar

Licensed Text Technician
Daps
Reppin
Unknown Side Effects
I'm with you, but what does this have to do with police brutality? No civilians were killed in the movie.

:mjgrin:

You sure? Or maybe you just haven’t watched in a while.

Alonzo put a gun to the little white college boy’s head for buying (wet) trees. White dudes get slaps on the wrists for trees.

He also entered a home without a warrant and shot up the block on the way out.

There was also the way he shoved a pen down Snoop’s throat. Not legal by any stretch of the imagination. The way he beat up those bums was excessive too.

No civilians were killed but laws were broken by Alonzo under the guise of police work. If a white cop does this, it’s just cop business. Having a black man do it made it villainous.

Brolic Scholar

Licensed Text Technician
Daps
Reppin
Unknown Side Effects
Yeah i think every body got that

Well why were so many people complaining about Denzel only getting the Oscar for being crooked? It was barber shop woke talk at the time. I don’t ever remember those same cats acknowledging why the role was celebrated outside of Denzel’s usual performance.

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
Im fully convinced that Denzel wasnt acting very much in that movie.

Fuqua was like "Action!"

Denzel was like "finally a movie where I can be myself" :myman:

Not saying hes a shiesty breh, im saying the WAY he was saying and doing stuff seems to be more his real personality.

Last edited:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
:mjgrin:

You sure? Or maybe you just haven’t watched in a while.

Alonzo put a gun to the little white college boy’s head for buying (wet) trees. White dudes get slaps on the wrists for trees.

He also entered a home without a warrant and shot up the block on the way out.

There was also the way he shoved a pen down Snoop’s throat. Not legal by any stretch of the imagination. The way he beat up those bums was excessive too.

No civilians were killed but laws were broken by Alonzo under the guise of police work. If a white cop does this, it’s just cop business. Having a black man do it made it villainous.

Interesting. I overlooked that.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Im fully convinces that Denzel wasnt acting very much in that movie.

Fuqua was like "Action!"

Denzel was like "finally a movie where I can be myself" :blessed:

Not saying hes a shiesty breh, im saying the WAY he was saying and doing stuff seems to be more his real personality.

I think it was just a fun role for him

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
Well why were so many people complaining about Denzel only getting the Oscar for being crooked? It was barber shop woke talk at the time. I don’t ever remember those same cats acknowledging why the role was celebrated outside of Denzel’s usual performance.

That's because Don Cheadle came through and made Denzel a side character in his own movie.