The Official XBOX WON Thread - News and Info

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Breh, I don't think the vita is a fair comparison in the argument you're trying to make here. The average vita game size is just barely a gig. Only a few precious titles are pushing 2-3 and many are but a few hundred megs. Also, it being a portable has most wanting their games to be just as portably convenient to access and carry around, a la an portable music device or cell phone.

Show me something that shows that level of ratio to full-fledged retail games on the PS3 and maybe you'd have a better point. I'm willing to bet you 500 coli cash you can't find a ps blu ray exclusive title (last of us, uncharted, ratchet & clank, etc.) selling 2-to-1 or better thru digital download over its blu ray release.
Why are you always viewing things from the narrowest of views? The PS3 might not have that kind of ratio, but as I have stated before...whatever happens on the PC is usually what translates over to the consoles. Its just natural progression. Let's say 20% of the new launch owners are PC heads that game...thats already 20% of your market that is completely used to downloading big games over the internet. Then you also have to figure the split of those wanting to go digital over physical media is at least 30/70 and I am being generous to physical media on that one. I think @daze23 posted a chart earlier in the week, but I can't remember the percentages. You have to remember that when the XBOX 360 and PS3 launched they weren't really ready for full digital. The XBOX 360 had versions of the console with NO HARD Drive AT ALL and the PS3 capped at 60GB

In fact when you really think about it, the PS4 will be in a much better position to take full advantage of this mass move to Digital because they will actually allow you to swap the hard drive out just like the PS3.

Digital is the future but it won't be for a long time in regard towards console gaming.

Think about it for a minute. Console gaming is the only form of entertainment that reaches all demographics around the world. Poor, Rich, PC gamers, People that doesn't surf internet and I can go on. What Microsoft is trying to do is tragic because they are forcing a generation change that takes time and will gradually happen if it does. Dudes in the hood is not going to be downloading games or signing in everyday or majority of the people around the world aren't using Debit Cards/Credit Cards for purchases. Shyt, most people like going to Gamestop for purchases it is a lifestyle and culture.

Gamestop also employes thousands of people every year around the country and it is an economic muscle within itself.
The reason Digital has been successful with the PC market is the dynamics that helped build that process. Apple started with Digital music which transferred to other genres and most PC gamers do not need a physical disc like a console to be honest with you.

All I am saying is Digital gaming MAY never cross into Console gaming in a successful way. Too many cons.
It will be here before you know it. These are the first consoles truly equipped for the mass move.

I am waiting on confirmation by Sony to see if they will support 3.5" hard drives...if they do I might throw a damn 4TB beast in there :datazz:

Last edited by a moderator:

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so you make this thread, then merge all xbox one threads into this one. :mjpls: i see you

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Why are you always viewing things from the narrowest of views? The PS3 might not have that kind of ratio, but as I have stated before...whatever happens on the PC is usually what translates over to the consoles. Its just natural progression. Let's say 20% of the new launch owners are PC heads that game...thats already 20% of your market that is completely used to downloading big games over the internet. Then you also have to figure the split of those wanting to go digital over physical media is at least 30/70 and I am being generous to physical media on that one. I think @daze23 posted a chart earlier in the week, but I can't remember the percentages. You have to remember that when the XBOX 360 and PS3 launched they weren't really ready for full digital. The XBOX 360 had versions of the console with NO HARD Drive AT ALL and the PS3 capped at 60GB

In fact when you really think about it, the PS4 will be in a much better position to take full advantage of this mass move to Digital because they will actually allow you to swap the hard drive out just like the PS3.

It will be here before you know it. These are the first consoles truly equipped for the mass move.

I am waiting on confirmation by Sony to see if they will support 3.5" hard drives...if they do I might throw a damn 4TB beast in there :datazz:

First of all, how you figure I'm always taking the narrowest of views? Sounds like you're trying to form some preconceived notion of whatever previous debate you may or may not have had with me. :stopitslime:

2ndly, we're talking about consoles of now, not of the future and not PCs either (don't worry, I didn't argue anything about a digital only future not evevtually coming to pass) and I argued against your point of the here and now, the relevancy to that and the flawed comparison of using stats of a portable vs. a home console.

Basically, not what you're arguing about, but how you're trying to go about it...was a flawed example. :myman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
First of all, how you figure I'm always taking the narrowest of views? Sounds like you're trying to form some preconceived notion of whatever previous debate you may or may not have had with me. :stopitslime:

2ndly, we're talking about consoles of now, not of the future and not PCs either (don't worry, I didn't argue anything about a digital only future not evevtually coming to pass) and I argued against your point of the here and now, the relevancy to that and the flawed comparison of using stats of a portable vs. a home console.

Basically, not what you're arguing about, but how you're trying to go about it...was a flawed example. :myman:
I guess I went at you like that because you always seem to view things from a Playstation bubble. Is it a flawed comparison? I don't think so because all the signs outside of the Vita are there as well.

Yes, you are talking about consoles and I am talking about launches. Let's say 20% of console launch buyers are PC gamers (because we tend to get down like that). That means that at the very least 20% of your "install base" is already used to downloading large files and will probably go that route from Day 1 on the XBONE/PS4. Then you take the split that wants to get rid of discs all together and you might be looking at a 50/50 split to start out digital vs physical.

Plus lets consider that Microsoft, Sony and Publishers are probably going to be going hard at the digital crowd and giving a discount to buy it at their market place rather than a disc. It's not far fetched to think that by the end of year 2 you might be looking at a 60/40 split when it comes to digital vs physical media and slowly pushing towards 75% by the end of year 4.

The only console that physical will remain at an advantage is for the Wii U because Nintendo just doesn't want to budge on their stance.

Microsoft's whole strategy makes sense, but they are just too aggressive with some of their policies.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I guess I went at you like that because you always seem to view things from a Playstation bubble. Is it a flawed comparison? I don't think so because all the signs outside of the Vita are there as well.

Yes, you are talking about consoles and I am talking about launches. Let's say 20% of console launch buyers are PC gamers (because we tend to get down like that). That means that at the very least 20% of your "install base" is already used to downloading large files and will probably go that route from Day 1 on the XBONE/PS4. Then you take the split that wants to get rid of discs all together and you might be looking at a 50/50 split to start out digital vs physical.

Plus lets consider that Microsoft, Sony and Publishers are probably going to be going hard at the digital crowd and giving a discount to buy it at their market place rather than a disc. It's not far fetched to think that by the end of year 2 you might be looking at a 60/40 split when it comes to digital vs physical media and slowly pushing towards 75% by the end of year 4.

The only console that physical will remain at an advantage is for the Wii U because Nintendo just doesn't want to budge on their stance.

Microsoft's whole strategy makes sense, but they are just too aggressive with some of their policies.

Well, I brought up playstation cuz essentially you did, lol (vita it's still playstation brand), but also cuz PS exclusives were the main games that were really big file sizes this gen (a factor that may not be the same this coming gen since Xbox is also using blu rays). But beyond that, my question still remains the same. I'd like to see a purchase ratio of that with main retail games across all the consoles digital downloads compared to their disc counterparts for a better assessment of this. Hell, even just one amongst the more PC-oriented gamers that you're speaking of that post on here for starters would be of interesting note.

I see what you're saying about this obviously being beneficial for publishers/devs for digital downloads only console (cept maybe Sony since I guess the eating either way off blu ray royalties), but consumers apparently still like physical copies for the conveniences they hold as well.

Also, the discount venue that you brought, that still happens on both sides fairly often. Granted, digital has them in higher value and greater frequency. If anything, I think most will probably just dabble in both for a long while in dependence of a few factors, the titles in question, their plans of what they may do with the games after completion, the size and price of the digital version.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Well, I brought up playstation cuz essentially you did, lol (vita it's still playstation brand), but also cuz PS exclusives were the main games that were really big file sizes this gen (a factor that may not be the same this coming gen since Xbox is also using blu rays). But beyond that, my question still remains the same. I'd like to see a purchase ratio of that with main retail games across all the consoles digital downloads compared to their disc counterparts for a better assessment of this. Hell, even just one amongst the more PC-oriented gamers that you're speaking of that post on here for starters would be of interesting note.

I see what you're saying about this obviously being beneficial for publishers/devs for digital downloads only console (cept maybe Sony since I guess the eating either way off blu ray royalties), but consumers apparently still like physical copies for the conveniences they hold as well.

Also, the discount venue that you brought, that still happens on both sides fairly often. Granted, digital has them in higher value and greater frequency. If anything, I think most will probably just dabble in both for a long while in dependence of a few factors, the titles in question, their plans of what they may do with the games after completion, the size and price of the digital version.
What I am worried about is the available storage on the XBOX One. I can't see it having more than 400GB or so free right at launch with everything they are trying to do.

Smooth3d

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa,Ok
What I am worried about is the available storage on the XBOX One. I can't see it having more than 400GB or so free right at launch with everything they are trying to do.

Well you can use external storage. And im sure when you fill up your hd you can "erase" your stored games and redownload it when you want to play it again.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Well you can use external storage. And im sure when you fill up your hd you can "erase" your stored games and redownload it when you want to play it again.
Nah I'm not about that external hard drive life. All internal for me