NULL
for the funko collectors

Westworld-Bernard.jpg

:ooh:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The soundtrack was one of the first things to strike me about the show - especially the use of Radiohead songs

I'm gonna say more about that in a minute...
and the orchestral version of paint it black is so :noah: :noah:

Dr. Ford is still my favorite track though...shyt is so fukking fire man. I feel like he completely captured Ford's character in song form.

Daps
Waited patiently to binge this and now I'm ready to dive back in from the start :takedat:

Finally caught up on this thread and have some thoughts that I'm pretty sure they haven't already been covered here (I don't reddit, so maybe it's been said there).

First and foremost, well done, coli brehs.
I'm an infrequent dibble-dabbler on the forum, but respect the conversation in the threads I seek out, and I always look forward to reading what the community's thinking about something I'm digging on too. No exception here. :salute::salute:

Something that stood out to me right away was the use of music.
Big Radiohead fan here for 25 years, so it was notable to me that RDHD was used several times in this season alone.

The "sister" albums released at the turn of the century - Kid A ('00) and Amnesiac ('01) were both concept albums with a connected theme of a labyrinth.

If I recall from ~15+ years ago, Kid A was meant to symbolize looking into the labyrinth from the outside while Amnesiac was supposed to conjure the feeling of being inside the labyrinth. Thus tying to the WW maze concept.

I didn't connect that until episode 8 when a fukkin minotaur looking thing appears out of seemingly nowhere :ohhh:

The minotaur was also a central figure in the artwork from those two RDHD albums, Stanley Donwood their longtime artist created various sketches of the minotaurs and the main one is crying.

The legend of the minotaur can be related to the hosts a bit, half-man/half-bull, stuck in a maze, condemned to a lonely life of killing.
King Minos in that myth was kind of a sonofabytch maniac like Ford, and there's also a parallel to the princess and ball of thread that helped Theseus find his way to the exit of the labyrinth after killing the minotaur (the fortune teller told Dolores to follow the thread and she then pulls it out of her arm, yeah?).

Most importantly of the RDHD songs chosen, is the one featured for one of the critical host awakening scenes, Maeve's walk upstairs.
"Motion Picture Soundtrack" aka the closing track of Kid A (the album that began the labyrinth theme), the final lyric being "I will see you in the next life"
:whew:

Daps
Couple more tings...

In Ep 1 Ford explains to Bernard that humans have cured diseases, and in doing so are able to keep the weak along for the ride - they have reached the best they'll be, nowhere to go from there.

The way Ford says that with such disappointment, it makes you think from the very start that he is dissatisfied with the limitations of humans and is ready for the next level. :lawd:

Such excellent writing to then lead the audience astray into thinking Ford wasn't involved with every step of the hosts becoming self-aware, including the fukkery that allowed Maeve to keep climbing in sentience, seemingly unnoticed. The whole time I was watching I was like HOW DOES FORD NOT KNOW THIS. But now I know he was playing every key.
Also, some stats from ep 1 that are useful heading into S2 (in the damn distant future :damn:) - Theresa mentions there are currently 1400 guests in the park, and apparently Ford was tinkering with reveries in about 200 of them. So maybe we can assume that that's the ratio of human guests stacked against killer bots.

Daps
Not sure if this is relevant, but I'm sure it's no mistake that William/MiB's wife's name (IRL) was Juliet, and she winds up killing herself.

Not only is his name William, but there was reference to Abernathy's old Shakespearean narrative, and the "violent delights/violent ends" quote is from Romeo + Juliet, as mentioned earlier.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Waited patiently to binge this and now I'm ready to dive back in from the start :takedat:

Finally caught up on this thread and have some thoughts that I'm pretty sure they haven't already been covered here (I don't reddit, so maybe it's been said there).

First and foremost, well done, coli brehs.
I'm an infrequent dibble-dabbler on the forum, but respect the conversation in the threads I seek out, and I always look forward to reading what the community's thinking about something I'm digging on too. No exception here. :salute::salute:

Something that stood out to me right away was the use of music.
Big Radiohead fan here for 25 years, so it was notable to me that RDHD was used several times in this season alone.

The "sister" albums released at the turn of the century - Kid A ('00) and Amnesiac ('01) were both concept albums with a connected theme of a labyrinth.

If I recall from ~15+ years ago, Kid A was meant to symbolize looking into the labyrinth from the outside while Amnesiac was supposed to conjure the feeling of being inside the labyrinth. Thus tying to the WW maze concept.

I didn't connect that until episode 8 when a fukkin minotaur looking thing appears out of seemingly nowhere :ohhh:

The minotaur was also a central figure in the artwork from those two RDHD albums, Stanley Donwood their longtime artist created various sketches of the minotaurs and the main one is crying.

The legend of the minotaur can be related to the hosts a bit, half-man/half-bull, stuck in a maze, condemned to a lonely life of killing.
King Minos in that myth was kind of a sonofabytch maniac like Ford, and there's also a parallel to the princess and ball of thread that helped Theseus find his way to the exit of the labyrinth after killing the minotaur (the fortune teller told Dolores to follow the thread and she then pulls it out of her arm, yeah?).

Most importantly of the RDHD songs chosen, is the one featured for one of the critical host awakening scenes, Maeve's walk upstairs.
"Motion Picture Soundtrack" aka the closing track of Kid A (the album that began the labyrinth theme), the final lyric being "I will see you in the next life"
:whew:
woah thats nuts.

• Dap
Reactions: hex