The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Payroll

Were these people suspended with/out pay?

More than 100 Toronto police employees who refused to be vaccinated against COVID-19 will be allowed to return to work later this month after the force announced Wednesday that it was dropping its internal vaccine mandate effective June 21.

The move brings to an end a contentious policy that, while almost universally praised by medical experts, nonetheless divided police service brass from the union that represents rank and file officers on the force.

On Wednesday, that union, the Toronto Police Association, offered cautious praise for the decision, even as some experts warned that it was coming too soon.

“While many in the city feel that COVID-19 is a thing of the past, it really isn’t. We are still seeing people get sick and we are still even seeing people die,” said Dr. Naheed Dosani, the health equity lead at Kensington Health in Toronto. “So the concern that existed before is still there: How will this impact people who interact with the police?”

The Toronto Police Service announced a vaccine mandate for all employees on Aug. 24, 2021. Several hundred officers and other employees who either refused to be vaccinated or to provide proof of vaccination were eventually placed on paid leave by the force.

As of Wednesday, 101 Toronto Police Service employees remained off the job for defying the mandate, according to the force. But as of June 21, they’ll all be allowed back to work. Uniformed officers among the holdouts will be redeployed as “operationally required,” a police service spokesman wrote in an email, while civilian members will be returned to their original roles.

“The Service’s decision to rescind its COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Requirement was made in response to the current public health and occupational health context of the pandemic and the unique nature of its work and workplaces,” the spokesman, Const. Alex Li, wrote. “Approximately 99 per cent of our members are fully vaccinated and new hires are required to be fully vaccinated.”

Jon Reid, the president of the Toronto Police Association, said in a statement that his organization was “pleased” by the announcement. “We have been resolute in our focus on our members’ return to active duty,” he said. At the same time, the union and the police force remain locked in arbitration over some issues related to the mandate, including promotions, vacation pay and sick leave for dissident officers.

Some public health experts, meanwhile, warned Tuesday that the decision to revoke the mandate could put the public at risk.

“First responders should be vaccinated because they come into contact with many people," said Raywat Deonandan, an epidemiologist at the University of Ottawa. “With the mask mandate dropped, this is even more important, since an (infected and infectious) police officer can now move infection from one person to another in the course of a single shift.”

Deonandan, like other medical experts who spoke to the Star Tuesday, said he was worried about how the new policy might affect the vulnerable, including the immunocompromised and those with small children.

“It was going to happen eventually,” he said about the mandate being lifted. “I’m disappointed that it’s happening so soon.”

if you use google chrome

add on bypasses paywalls

Jefferson Jackson

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Wave Rider
Don't know if I'll get time to vote :heh:

None of these parties speak to me

my nikka all the leading candidates are trash lol it's all about choosing who will do the least damage:mjlol:....if by some crazy event we end up calling Andrea Premiere, I guarantee that cac will be saying..."my 1st order of business is trying to reverese the judgement call against Amber Heard"

CP24:dahell::"Ma'am that was in another country

Andrea: I said what I said:yeshrug:

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me

Mess up your future brehs and brehettes

Police said two people, a man and a woman, attempted to flee the scene and dropped a pouch containing a loaded magazine. The pair were quickly arrested, and a firearm was found inside the stolen vehicle.

Prayer Osakpemwehuan, an 18-year-old man from Toronto, faces several charges, including robbery with a firearm and careless storage of a gun.

Kafui Setsofiah, a 19-year-old woman from Mississauga, faces the same slew of charges
:beli::snoop:

Kafui a former high school track athlete?

Where did it go wrong

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
41-BDF7-B1-9-D9-F-4-FC9-9035-6-A3-DC56-DC48-D.jpg

Lol dude is desperate just ringing my doorbell now

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
:beli::snoop:

Kafui a former high school track athlete?

Where did it go wrong

Way to mess up your future