The Official Sports Card Discussion Thread

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not mine, but should have some value huh?

njlon5ec24i51.jpg
Whos card is that,breh?

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
@Codeine Bryant I've been looking to see if there's any value plays with Luka and I'm struggling to find any. Dude's prices are all nuts. You holding yours long term?
His whole market is completely fukked at this point. There's really no value buy anymore unless you're convinced breh is a future multiple MVP winner (I think so) and will win a ring or three (possible, def not as guaranteed as the MVP trophies that are coming).

Optic Holo would be my best advice, but they're reaching ridiculous pricing. My friend and I have tried to buy up some team color (blue) Luka's from various sets, mainly Chronicles, but now everybody's caught onto that over the past 2-3 months and those are all $3k and beyond. IDK, I don't really have any buyer's advice for Luka at the moment. I think it's a seller's market and anybody with Luka should be holding at this time.

I'm definitely holding mine long term. Figure he'll have leeway until he's around 25/26 years old to make a Finals. I see multiple All NBA and All Star nods coming his way and likely an MVP trophy in the next year or two.

If he's still ringless at age 26 or so and the hobby starts to feel like he might not ever break through, I'd consider selling half of my Luka at that point.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances or events, Luka should only rise or plateau in price over the next few seasons as more and more people are drawn into his hype and unique marketability :mjpls:

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
@Regular_P Optic base PSA 10 going for $950 or so and Prizm base PSA 10 going for over $1800 :mindblown:

Blue prizm /199 gem mint going for over $20k, sure. Absurd, but understandable. Team color, numbered, default set for hobby.

But these Luka BASE prices are just astronomical...

Base bubble will pop well before RPA/Auto/Numbered/Team Color/Insert bubble, imo.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
@Regular_P Optic base PSA 10 going for $950 or so and Prizm base PSA 10 going for over $1800 :mindblown:

Blue prizm /199 gem mint going for over $20k, sure. Absurd, but understandable. Team color, numbered, default set for hobby.

But these Luka BASE prices are just astronomical...

Base bubble will pop well before RPA/Auto/Numbered/Team Color/Insert bubble, imo.
The base prices are stupid. There's almost 13,000 Prizm PSA 10s and it's closing in on $2K.

I'm like you thinking there can't be much value buying now but I've thought that about a lot of guys and prices just keep going up. If they beat the Clippers, who's to say those base Prizms aren't $3K in two weeks?

It bugs me that comparable cards of his are selling for a lot more than Curry. Stained Glass PSA 10s are around $1,500 now for Luka and $850 for Curry. In my head I can't justify it and want to go after the Curry instead. I'm still hard wired to look at these prices in a practical sense. I don't know if that's smart or just wishful thinking.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The base prices are stupid. There's almost 13,000 Prizm PSA 10s and it's closing in on $2K.

I'm like you thinking there can't be much value buying now but I've thought that about a lot of guys and prices just keep going up. If they beat the Clippers, who's to say those base Prizms aren't $3K in two weeks?

It bugs me that comparable cards of his are selling for a lot more than Curry. Stained Glass PSA 10s are around $1,500 now for Luka and $850 for Curry. In my head I can't justify it and want to go after the Curry instead. I'm still hard wired to look at these prices in a practical sense. I don't know if that's smart or just wishful thinking.
I hear you. Hype and potential is more valuable in this hobby than actual results, 90% of the time.

Results (trophies, titles) only further the hype and potential. And for Luka, the hype and potential should still be there without question for the next 3-4 years. I agree that his prices across the board should continue to rise IF he's able to upset the Clippers here, which is looking like a real possibility.

All just depends on how comfortable you are with riding this wave. I do think that the bubble will hold for another 2 years or so. I can't see his base prizm bubble popping with the influx of casuals and dollars into the hobby with each day.

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Luka booming. What else is new.

Should have bought more :snoop:

Could pay off my student loans if I had more liquid this time last year.

Ive told this story a couple times,right after 2018 prizm came out a local dealer here offered me 3 Luka silvers each was BGS 9.5 for 100 each and i turned them down...imagine that.

This when they were readily available before they took off that first time...They were available online for 75-100.00

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Ive told this story a couple times,right after 2018 prizm came out a local dealer here offered me 3 Luka silvers each was BGS 9.5 for 100 each and i turned them down...imagine that.

This when they were readily available before they took off that first time...They were available online for 75-100.00
I'm a Mavericks fan and Luka stan and I don't own any silvers :snoop:

Thought Silvers were overpriced at 1400-1500 in January/February. Tried to haggle a guy down to 1300 and he wouldn't budge. So I passed.

:martin:

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
I'm a Mavericks fan and Luka stan and I don't own any silvers :snoop:

Thought Silvers were overpriced at 1400-1500 in January/February. Tried to haggle a guy down to 1300 and he wouldn't budge. So I passed.

:martin:

I couldnt read the surge so i never copped any,when they went up to $500 i stayed put cuz i thought they was holding and they surged up again...It didnt make senseto me at that time to spend $300 on 3 new rookies from a player who at the time had hype but hadnt done anything when LeBron and Kobe and most other older HOF RCs were relatively cheap and available...Thats how i rationaled saying no to them at the time...

If Kobe TC rookie card is gettable at $400 and Brons TC chrome and bowman chromes are $500 and $250 and those cards been out for decades, why am i spending $100 on a kid who a rookie and aint did shyt ? IN hindsight i clearly fukked up.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
To be fair, nobody could have predicted this boom the hobby has been experiencing over the past 18 months or so. Everything for every player has skyrocketed.

If you score 20 points once and you’re less than 26 years old, the hobby immediately corrects itself and values you like you’re Steph Curry.