The Official SEGA Discussion Thread

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

I think it's just a matter of time before someone ports GTA3 over to the Dreamcast

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
SEGA's c-COO, Shuji Utsumi, on VF:

SEGA also promises to revive even more legacy properties. Fighting game fans have been wondering why the first 3D fighter series Virtua Fighter is so dormant. Utsumi said the company is aware of the game’s niche status.

“We are evaluating right now. Virtua Fighter doesn’t use so many tricks, special moves like in Street Fighter, it’s very realistic,” Utsumi said. “How can we make it more dramatic? It’s something we’re working on.”

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
[インタビュー]「バーチャファイター3tb」がアーケードに帰ってくる。APM3版稼働の背景と「Virtua Fighter esports」のこれから

Article with lots of exciting details

SEGA talks about VF5US updates & applies for VF3tb online.NET trademark and game.

4Gamer

And what about the future of the series?

Can we have some hope for a new collab or DLCs?

Mr. Aoki

For now, I can’t say too much about that question.

But as for Virtua Fighter Esports / 5 Ultimate Showdown we’re not done yet with the project.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

SEGA Filed Four Trademarks Of Classic Titles – Including Altered Beast, Kid Chameleon, and Eternal Champions​

IMG_20231213_133416-1536x864.jpg

UPDATE: To follow up with this article, SEGA has filed eight more trademarks of their classic IPs which includes Alex Kidd, After Burner, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, Outrun, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, and Super Monkey Ball. We’ll keep you all updated when more news arrive!

Following up with the recent announcement during the Game Awards, SEGA has filed four trademarks of their classic IPs which includes Jet Set Radio (which was recently announced at the Game Awards), and three more titles such as Altered Beast, Kid Chameleon, and Eternal Champions.

With these trademarks being filed publicly, we might see more games in development from SEGA down the line or it could be something completely different from what we could expect. Until then, we will keep you all posted if there are any official announcements regarding these titles. Let us know what you all think of this news in the comments below!

Can't believe we might be getting a reboot to Eternal Champions

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
A homebrew demo/port was released of the old school X-Men game from 92 dropped for the Sega Saturn; the one with 6 players. Only 2 players are usable in the demo as it's in early stages

Here's some footage:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

Lost in Time No More: SEGA’s Canceled Dreamcast MMO “Far Nation” Leaks Footage Online

Back in the day, the SEGA Dreamcast had quite the list of unreleased games, one of which was “Far Nation.” Briefly announced in 2000, Far Nation was planned to be one of the first console MMORPGs alongside Phantasy Star Online. Details about Far Nation have been scarce for over two decades. Sega only mentioned the title a handful of times before its quiet cancellation in 2001. No screenshots or gameplay details were ever officially revealed.

But now, thanks to Reddit user fuperslizzle0, we might be getting a glimpse of the game. In a post yesterday, they said:

[QUOTE] “I’m not going to get too verbose or overbearing with this, other than to say the footage shown here is from a legit disc belonging to a friend of mine who worked at Sega during the time Farnation was in development. We sat down and “played” (or really, experimented with) the game for about 35 minutes, all of which I recorded, and these clips are all we’re prepared to share for now. Please enjoy, and rest assured, more is coming! ;)” [/QUOTE]

Interesting enough, “Far Nation” is giving me Panzer Dragoon vibes in terms of its art style. My issue with the leaked footage, however, is that we don’t see any animation. It’s hard to say how far along development was based on how little is shown, so I wouldn’t expect too much. Still, it’s exciting to finally see something for Far Nation.

Fuperslizzle0 has confirmed a few more things about the game:

• There is more animation in the game, that he will show in the near future.
  • He looked at two characters: a male and female
  • There *might* be more variations to those characters.

They also posted a “texture viewer” video below. From what I understand, the person who worked at SEGA is unsure if they want to come out publicly about their time at the company and how they obtained the Far Nation prototype. It’s hard to blame them – why risk being doxed online?

UPDATE: It looks like a YouTube Shorts has been posted showing more animation of the game:

A few notes about the new gameplay:

• The game’s charcter displayed on the top left hand corner translates to “Chomechome”
  • When the player character hits the action button the door, the green circle appears with the same text as the character’s name “Chomechome” with a blue banner on top that also has the same phrase.
  • After this the character plays some sort of animation, which seems to be a animation for finding an item or doing completing a task.

If I had to take a educated guess, I’d say all the text in the prototype is just place holder text. I guess we will see more as the game leaks and see if all the in-game’s writing is the exact same “Chomechome” phrase.

As for the phrase “Chomechome”, I got this from Google:

[QUOTE] “Japanese Chome Chome is a term that has been used in various contexts, including addresses, music, and even euphemisms. Here’s a breakdown of the concept: [/QUOTE] [LIST] [*][QUOTE] [B]Addressing System:[/B] In Japan, the addressing system is complex and unique. Chome () refers to a block or district within a city or town. For example, Marunouchi 2-Chome is a district in Tokyo. Chome is often used in combination with other geographical entities, such as wards, cities, and prefectures, to create a specific address. [/QUOTE] [*][QUOTE] [B]Music:[/B] Chome Chome is also the title of a Japanese song, which has been interpreted in various ways. Some believe it’s an onomatopoeia related to sex, while others think it’s an euphemism for the same. [/QUOTE] [*][QUOTE] [B]Euphemism:[/B] In some cases, Chome Chome has been used as a euphemism for certain words or phrases that are considered inappropriate or offensive. This is often represented in written form using symbols or characters.” [/QUOTE] [/LIST]