The Official Quiet Storm R&B Thread

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Since the Quiet Storm use to end about this time, I thought I'd throw this on. From what I remember, this was the original theme song to the Quiet Storm when the program first began, which was in DC. Y'all don't have to end it at 12 midnight, but I'm going to bed.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV

Everybody know this one

I remember this song very well. It came out in the spring of 85. My older cousin, who crashed on me and my brother, was crazy about this song. It made him relax. May they both rest in peace.

Edit: Thought you was asking if anybody knew this one.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I know I said I was going to bed, but since I bought up my cousin, I got to leave with this song. About a year after he crashed on us, he played this old 45 cut on our record player one day, that for some reason didn't play on the radio when it was released. My brother and I liked it as soon as we heard it, but we couldn't guess for the world who it was. He finally told us it was Earth Wind and Fire, and that it was released back around 1970, when they had a female as their lead singer.

I don't think they started playing this song on the radio until around five years after our cousin introduced it to us. I downloaded it on Napster, which was sometime after he passed. Every time me and my brother heard this song, that should have been a classic, we reminded one another how much it reminded us of our cousin.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
THE 2 only 2 Quiet Storm classics :ahh:

I gave the original classic to the Quiet Storm in post #241. That Delfonics song was released before both of these. They also played it in the background, when people would call WHUR, and wish their significant other, or crush, a good night, or dedicate their call to them. This part of the program lasted for about a half hour. Then the program ended with The Delfonics song again. I don't remember exactly when Smokey's cut started playing. They may have rotated them both at the beginning, when the program first aired. But the Delfonics cut was played more when the show first began. It touched the heart more. Years later, they would play only the long musical version of the Delfonics song. Then they would play the short version at the end of the program, followed by Smokey's cut. Then later, they would play the long musical version of Smokey's cut at the end.

The Art of Noise cut came out like 20 years later. That song lasted longer than both of these cuts combined, it seemed. But it hasn't been out long enough on the program to compete with The Delfonics or Smokey's version of the Quiet Storm in my opinion. Plus, it never had any words. Tbh, I'm surprised the song made it that big. Sometimes, I believe they played this Art of Noise cut to pass up time. Like I said, I still don't consider it the Quiet Storm version, especially coming out nearly 20 years after the program first aired, although they played it for an hour.

Actually, The DC Quiet Storm program itself isn't nearly what it used to be, ex
cept the Sunday night version, the night it debuted. Even the Sunday night version isn't as good as it once was. It's like they've been playing the same slow songs for 25 years. They now call it the DC sound. They no longer play request. I don't think they even play dedications anymore. I guess it's the same with all R&B radio stations these days.

I didn't mean to be long winded, but I was there in DC at the beginning, when the Quiet Storm only lasted til 10:00 pm. That's how I can remember all these old classics.

Edit: The Art of Noise version came out about 10 years later. That's still a decade.

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
This my favorite thread in a long time. I'll be back to contribute at some point. Too busy listening to all the links. Some fire ass music been posted.