The Official Playstation 4 Thread - News and Info

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Shots fired back at Cliffy B for saying used games need to be banned.

Nintendo: If devs are worried about used game sales, they should make better games | Polygon

The best way for console makers to deal with the used games market is to ensure their games are so good that people don't want to trade them in, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told Polygon. But supporting used games is also important, he added.

"We have been very clear, we understand that used games are a way for some consumers to monetize their games," Fils-Aime said. "They will buy a game, play it, bring it back to their retailer to get credit for their next purchase. Certainly, that impacts games that are annualized and candidly also impacts games that are maybe undifferentiated much more than [it] impacts Nintendo content. Why is that? Because the replayability of our content is super strong. The consumer wants to keep playing Mario Kart. The consumer want to keep playing New Super Mario Bros. They want to keep playing Pikmin. So we see that the trade-in frequency on Nintendo content is much less than the industry average – much, much less. So for us, we have been able to step back and say that we are not taking any technological means to impact trade-in and we are confident that if we build great content, then the consumer will not want to trade in our games."

Used games have become a hot-button topic this year as both Microsoft and Sony continue to detail how their new consoles will operate.

While Microsoft won't charge any fees as a platform holder for the sale or purchase of used Xbox One games, they are leaving it up to individual publishers to decide whether their games can be sold or traded — a policy that hasn't been very popular.

"THE TRADE-IN FREQUENCY ON NINTENDO CONTENT IS MUCH LESS THAN THE INDUSTRY AVERAGE – MUCH, MUCH LESS."

When Sony announced during their E3 press conference, held half a day after Microsoft's, that they wouldn't have such restrictions, the news was met with thundering applause.

That spontaneous reaction, Fils-Aime said, was likely not just a message to Sony, but "probably a bigger one to the [publisher] who went earlier in the day."

Sony is still allowing publishers to decide whether the online portion of their games will require some extra fee to be re-activated when resold.

The end result is three next-gen consoles with three sets of used game policies. Ultimately, it will be up to the publishers to decide how they want their games to be bought and re-sold. I asked Fils-Aime if Nintendo is prepared to stick to their open used games policy in the face of publishers who may want Nintendo's policy to become more restrictive, like Microsoft's or Sony's.

"The fact of the matter is, we will see what happens with publishers," he said, "but it seems to me that every major publisher has come and said we don't mind used games."

Nintendo's approach to used games may be in part driven by the fact that the publisher is having increasing success with the sale of downloadable versions of its games.

In April, Nintendo announced that about a quarter of the 3.86 million copies of Animal Crossing: New Leaf sold in Japan were purchased through its online store.

Nintendo found that once a person made a purchase through the online store, they were much more likely to purchase other games or content. In their current form, those disc-less games can't be traded in, lent to friends or sold, essentially removing any question of a used game market.

"BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT EVERY MAJOR PUBLISHER HAS COME AND SAID WE DON'T MIND USED GAMES."

Despite the increasing popularity of purchasing games online and downloading them, Fils-Aim said he doesn't think "digital games" will supplant physical copies and the retailers who sell them anytime soon.

"I don't see [Nintendo stopping the sale of game discs] in the future, certainly not the near-term future," he said. "For us, retail is a key part of our overall business. Retailers play a huge role in driving awareness. Their stores play a large role in consumers having an experience with their interactives. We couldn't do a program like what we are doing with Best Buy without the power of retail and letting consumers play four games that haven't been released yet. The only place you can see these games is either here at E3 or at a 100 best buy locations in the U.S. and in Canada. So we see a very strong role for physical product in the near-term."

Ultimately, Fils-Aime said, he doesn't know how much the used game policies of a console will weigh on a gamer's decision to purchase a console, but with the least restrictive policies, it's not something Nintendo has to worry about.

"I think we'll have to wait and see," he said. "I am not sure what the next steps will be, how the different competitors will respond to each other. Again, for us, it is about the games. We want to give the consumers a great gameplay experience."

:gladbron:

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps
whats the minimum of bread that you have to put down for amazon pre orders?

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yoshida on Demon Souls Sequel

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida says he loves From Software's Demon's Souls and would really like to see more of that game on PlayStation platforms, but wouldn't say when or if we'll see a direct sequel to the 2009 game.

Yoshida said Sony "dropped the ball" when it passed on publishing Demon's Souls in North America and Europe. Atlus and Namco Bandai picked up the slack, with the latter publishing From Software's spiritual successor, Dark Souls.

Sony still owns the rights to the Demon's Souls intellectual property. At E3, I asked Yoshida about Sony's relationship with From Software and if it plans to work with the developer again on the license.

"We have been great partners with From Software from the very beginning of PlayStation," Yoshida said. "I was actually the account manager of them when we launched PS one in Japan. I worked directly with [Naotoshi Zin], president of From, when they were entering into video game development. We have a long history of working as platform holder, developer and publisher in the case of Demon's Souls. We love them."

I asked Yoshida if Demon's Souls is a franchise that could join series like Killzone, Gran Turismo and Uncharted as a multi-PlayStation platform — and if Sony would consider developing a sequel without From Software as the primary developer.

"That's a great question, but because of the attention that will get, I choose not to answer," Yoshida said. "But personally, I love Demon's Souls. I spent hours and hours and hours [playing it]."

"I love the team, I love the game and yeah, I'd really like to see more. But that's all that I will say."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/44...rried-about-used-game-sales-make-better-games

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Right now, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty isn't coming to Xbox One or Xbox 360 • News • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net

In a nutshell, MS not allowing a developer to self publish pushed them away.

""If they're looking at the world that way, you've got the obvious, enormous titles. They're going to be the big revenue generators. If the company's purely about profit, profit and profit, they're looking at those, and then they're looking at the little guys saying, 'oh, they only make this much.' They're not interested."

"For Xbox One they've granted us a license for New 'n' Tasty! but they still say you need a publisher. We don't have a publisher so we're not officially on the platform, even though we're compatible, even though we'll be ready to do it. Period."

"Why do we need a publisher when we self-finance our games, we build our own IP, we manage our own IP and we've turned nearly two million units online as indie publishers sold - not free downloads? Why? What's wrong with us?

"Who's in touch with their audience? And who seems out of touch with their audience? All we know is we've tried to get our games on their platform and we can't do it - and I even helped them release the (Original) Xbox."
Oddworld Inhabitants boss Lorne Lanning""

And these nikkaz helped them on the OG Xbox....:smh: @ MS

Tigrre

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Email today from amazon..."We are writing to confirm that you ordered the "Launch Edition," which is Release-Day Delivery eligible. All other aspects of the two editions are identical. "
:blessed::blessed::blessed:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
e3.gif