The Official Netflix Marvel's "Luke Cage" Season 1 Thread

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
I think for diamond back to work and I just seen the first episode with him, but I hated it,

you'd have to introduce this style little by little so it fits into the show there doing

either put him in little pieces of him doing viliany stuff each episode so he's make sense to the world, or have some of the other villains do some comic book-style stuff like maybe have Shades have his optic blast weapon or have cotton mouth steal an Iron Man suit and try to take out luke himself

just the show felt so authetic, having grown up in the Bronx and Harlem, and Diamondback just throws me out of the show

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The black women on this show
s50yprd.gif
My boy was watching this the other day and texted me the same thing :russ:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I think for diamond back to work and I just seen the first episode with him, but I hated it,

you'd have to introduce this style little by little so it fits into the show there doing

either put him in little pieces of him doing viliany stuff each episode so he's make sense to the world, or have some of the other villains do some comic book-style stuff like maybe have Shades have his optic blast weapon or have cotton mouth steal an Iron Man suit and try to take out luke himself

just the show felt so authetic, having grown up in the Bronx and Harlem, and Diamondback just throws me out of the show
When i get the chance ima post all of Luke Cage's villains from his comic book

THEY ARE ALL GOOFY
CORNY
D-LEVEL Villains that fit the blaxploitation style the writers and artists were aiming for.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

THEY ARE ALL GOOFY
CORNY
D-LEVEL Villains that fit the blaxploitation style the writers and artists were aiming for.

Yep, pretty much. And the thing is, the show makes them into much better, believable characters instead of the caricatures that they were.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

The homages to blaxploitation were there before Diamondback shows up. It just amps up when he is there with the more surreal stuff. I still think it's pulled off very well overall, but I def feel folks thinking its a lil jarring when and how he first shows up, at the very least.

Spaceman Piff

Superstar
Daps
just as i expected.. i enjoyed this more than jessica jones :manny:

i wish cottonmouth had grown to be a legit threat to luke cage.. even though the performance, that laugh in particular, was dope as fukk.. it never really felt like cottonmouth could beat luke cage. cottonmouth with a power suit :whew:

did diamondback do all this because he lost out on a girl? :patrice:

luke cage needs to learn how to fight.. or at least use his strength creatively. dude has like 3 moves in his arsenal including that karate chop :pachaha:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Yep, pretty much. And the thing is, the show makes them into much better, believable characters instead of the caricatures that they were.
Yup
I really appreciated what they were going for here.
Cause I grew up loving Coffee and Hell Up in Harlem... Black Caesar.
Hero For Hire was ALWAYS a silly book
But it was entertaining
Cause the dialouge
The action
The funny characters
What i wish they showed tho was the white folks who would seek him out
But he didnt open Hero For Hire yet so i guess thatll have to wait
This is def a series where knowing the source material could be beneficial to someone

And again...

Cottonmouth DOES actually die early in the book
By Black Mariah

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot

THEY ARE ALL GOOFY
CORNY
bingo.

yall seen what the 1970s cotton mouth looked like? :russ: and then the 2012 variant the writers didnt even bother trying to change his character from the corny pimp blaxploitation version

diamondback starts off hella werid, scatterbrained, and a textbook sociopath which threw even me off thinking ":dahell: the hell is this nikka deal?"

then an episode later
Luke explains how crazy his "brother" is and by episode 11 we see the point in how his motives and proves he's actually the mastermind and evrything he does he has a purpose, even though he improvising

episode 11

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Don't know if one villain performance tops Killgrave or Fisk. However, this had easily the best "collection" of villains. Cottonmouth, Mariah, Diamondback, Shades were a great combo. They weaved in and out like a comicbook.

This. The Marvel's netflix division has the best villains in superheros.

Diamondback is fukking terrible; he's such a fukking weird cartoon villain, like he's more cartoony than villains from Smallville and even the Flash. I half expected him to have cartoon sound effects and do little catch phrases

I just finished episode 8.

If you can keep your first impression bias in check, I think he might grow on you. He has a great presence and some of the best lines in the whole series.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This. The Marvel's netflix division has the best villains in superheros.

If you can keep your first impression bias in check, I think he might grow on you. He has a great presence and some of the best lines in the whole series.
Thats the biggest disservice of the show imo.
On paper, how it was aiming to be seemed like a GREAT setup for Diamondback. However, those particular scenes just didn't gel as well.

I think if his first scene was the "where there's smoke there's fire" it would have went a long way for winning people over with the character.

The actor was better in the subtle moments than he was in the loud moments.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
That doesn't make it any less random

Eh....I feel you. It is random. But there's really no way to work in "twists" or new information nowadays. People are too smart and pay too close attention. "Mr. Robot" tried to subtly tease something in episode 1 and people immediately figured it out. So this kind of stuff either has to come out of left field, which people will say is random, or it has to be telegraphed, which people will figure out long before it's time.

It's just the nature of the internet. :manny:

Fred.