The Official HBCU Thread

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4

Spoke with an alum today who’s in the know, and he told me the goal is 15,000+ in 2 years.

More dorms coming, and of course there’s a new engineering building being built right where Hayes Taylor YMCA was at. Also some rumblings of a 2nd cafeteria.

Aggie Land is growing.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Alabama stand up

:salute:

Alabama bands getting that aggression back:salute:

I watched the live stream on YouTube..that shyt was wild as hell.

AAMU, Dega, Stillman & Miles were all cranking at the same time :dead:

Miles threw everything off them nikkas always doing some extra shyt like playing out of turn or playing while someone is on the field.

Bama State was the best sounding to me though. We’re small as hell compared to how we usually are, but the sound quality has improved greatly

Supreme

King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC
It’s A&T

Then everyone else

8ded687dd0545137b291be9e49b60db0--eagles.jpg

full

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
We read a lot about struggling HBCUs, well here is a positive article.I'm going to keep it 100, I had NEVER heard of this school before.
(the graduation rate numbers seem shaky, though)
===========================================================================
excerpt, full article is in the link
Claflin University distinguishes itself as it joins the ranks of well-regarded HBCUs

The Secret’s Out

Claflin is not well-known outside South Carolina, but the liberal arts institution stands out among seven other HBCUs in the state and is raising its national profile.

By
Marjorie Valbrun
October 1, 2019
8 Comments

Claflin University
Henry Tisdale
For those in the know, Claflin University has always been a bright spot in a landscape of bad news about dwindling resources, decreased state funding and declining enrollment at many colleges that predominantly serve black students.

To the uninformed, the private liberal arts institution in Orangeburg, S.C., is just one of many small, indistinguishable historically black colleges, or HBCUs, struggling to keep their doors open and remain relevant at a time when some question if such colleges, or at least as many of them, are still needed. (There are eight HBCUs in South Carolina alone.) Never mind that Claflin is financially secure, its enrollment numbers stable and its reputation strong.

This conflict between perception and reality was always top of mind for Henry Tisdale. He spent considerable energy pushing back on the misperceptions even as Claflin reached one milestone after another, meeting and sometimes exceeding goals big and small that he set for the university when he became president 25 years ago.

“When I arrived at Claflin, I knew firsthand the excellence that already existed there,” he said. “It was considered one of America’s best-kept secrets. I was determined not to keep it that way.”

By the time Tisdale retired last June, the secret was decidedly out -- and others had taken note.

Today Claflin, which is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, is among the most highly regarded HBCUs in the country. It has a freshman retention rate of 78 percent and a job placement rate of 86 percent, among other good academic outcomes.

Its average four-year graduation rate for the last five years is 40 percent, and the average six-year graduation rate for the same period is 50.4 percent, which is higher than the average for HBCUs.

Enrollment has also climbed steadily over the decades. The university had 1,023 students enrolled when Tisdale arrived in 1994; that number had more than doubled to 2,172 by the time he left.

As Claflin’s reputation has risen, outside benefactors have come calling with offers to help build on the university’s momentum. The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation gave the university $1 million in unsolicited grants to help it revise and improve its general education program by aligning the School of Humanities and Social Sciences’ curriculum more closely with workforce needs. The old program required students to complete 46 credits; the new program requires 39 credits and gives students more flexibility to customize their courses and add minors and certificate programs based on their career goals.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Lilly Foundation are also supporting various initiatives on campus to help more students graduate, better prepare them for careers and improve their employment prospects.

Tisdale said representatives of the foundations told him they had been tracking the university’s progress and wanted to encourage its efforts.

“They’re recognizing the climb of the university and the student success of the university,” he said. “They not only want to support us financially but to partner with us to share what we do with other institutions.”

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
@staticshock @jahsoul357 any other band heads i forgot i apologize but this kinda major

Clarence Gibson no longer band director at Texas Southern University

Gibson out at Texas Southern

Heard about this today. Some are saying him & the other BD werent getting along.

Whatever the reason, it isn’t a good look, especially with the whole Haymer mess they had at the beginning of the season.

I’d like to see him at a small band tho like Morehouse, Clark or Benedict.

It was just confirmed that the Ocean will be at Crankfest in a few weeks too. Wonder if they’ll have their heads on straight

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I watched the live stream on YouTube..that shyt was wild as hell.

AAMU, Dega, Stillman & Miles were all cranking at the same time :dead:

Miles threw everything off them nikkas always doing some extra shyt like playing out of turn or playing while someone is on the field.

Bama State was the best sounding to me though. We’re small as hell compared to how we usually are, but the sound quality has improved greatly

yall ready to get this work from Alcorn :mjlit: