The Official Formula 1 Thread 🏁

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
Their pits stops are the fastest but they aren't the slowest either.

Strategy now... that's a different story. But not mad at the strategy decisions today.
They need to get those pit stops handled, RB consistently kills them there, and if the FIA didn't step in with that safety rule, RB pit stops would look robotic. Also, Merc hasn't been good with tyre warming, the RB comes online faster.

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
Yeah, I'm finished for the year with F1. I really wanted to stay on and watch Seb and Daniel's last races, but this race was a heartbreaker. Merc dropped the ball on the car this year in every way imaginable. I'll see you guys next season (hopefully).

calh45

Cal
Daps
And why is this case? If us laymen have been identifying this, even when Merc was winning, why have they not tackled it? I'm wondering if that is caused by their no-blame culture.
Lewis calls them out on it all of the time. I think their attitude was "We winning championships so we're good" and it finally all got exposed this year. It was low key hubris.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They need to get those pit stops handled, RB consistently kills them there, and if the FIA didn't step in with that safety rule, RB pit stops would look robotic. Also, Merc hasn't been good with tyre warming, the RB comes online faster.
That's the car though, not pit stops or strategy

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
Lewis calls them out on it all of the time. I think their attitude was "We winning championships so we're good" and it finally all got exposed this year. It was low key hubris.
Seems to be the case, RB is just operating like a championship team in every facet, I honestly see no flaws on their end, Merc's flaws probably total up to at least a second being lost on the track, that is huge when facing RB and Max.

That's the car though, not pit stops or strategy
I'm aware, I was just throwing that in there, at the time, I was just thinking of everything wrong at Mercedes. lol

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
@Obreh Winfrey @MoneyTron, saw some rumours on reddit that Mercedes are going with a high rake philosophy next year. Have you guys heard or seen anything?
I haven't seen anything to that affect. My internet aerospace degree is still under consideration, but my understanding of ground effect is that you want low take concept to more easily control the air expansion at the rear. If you don't maintain a seal on the floor edge then you bleed downforce and a flatter car facilities that.

If Mercedes is moving to a high rake then that suggests they've got a good handle on their suspension geometry and can create that floor edge seal more effectively. That would also suggest a whole lot of downforce - whether they could do that cleanly (without increasing drag) will be the question. They'd probably also want to be able to progressively stall the defuser at speed to not lose time on the straights so that under hard braking the car remains stable or at least predictable with a reasonable level of downforce through high speed corners.

That's all completely speculative based on a narrow understanding though. I think the key is in the suspension development at the rear to give them more scope on spring stiffness. It would be very interesting to see how they get a high rake car working. You have a link to where you saw that? Because I did a skim of Reddit and didn't see anything related to car development.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't seen anything to that affect. My internet aerospace degree is still under consideration, but my understanding of ground effect is that you want low take concept to more easily control the air expansion at the rear. If you don't maintain a seal on the floor edge then you bleed downforce and a flatter car facilities that.

If Mercedes is moving to a high rake then that suggests they've got a good handle on their suspension geometry and can create that floor edge seal more effectively. That would also suggest a whole lot of downforce - whether they could do that cleanly (without increasing drag) will be the question. They'd probably also want to be able to progressively stall the defuser at speed to not lose time on the straights so that under hard braking the car remains stable or at least predictable with a reasonable level of downforce through high speed corners.

That's all completely speculative based on a narrow understanding though. I think the key is in the suspension development at the rear to give them more scope on spring stiffness. It would be very interesting to see how they get a high rake car working. You have a link to where you saw that? Because I did a skim of Reddit and didn't see anything related to car development.

Good shyt, breh. Appreciate it.

The bolded got me, though. :mjlol:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
@Obreh Winfrey @MoneyTron, saw some rumours on reddit that Mercedes are going with a high rake philosophy next year. Have you guys heard or seen anything?
No, but sounds interesting. :ehh:

Mercedes'(and Ferrari) main issue is that the car produced too much drag vs Red Bull. I have no doubt that will be addressed in some way for the W14 by both the the body and floor.

Mercedes should have a little more wind tunnel time than Ferrari, and if the rumors are correct, much more than Red Bull. Should be interesting to see what they come up with next spring.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

It was in a comment somewhere, not a story so I thought I would ask. I will take a look.

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
No, but sounds interesting. :ehh:

Mercedes'(and Ferrari) main issue is that the car produced too much drag vs Red Bull. I have no doubt that will be addressed in some way for the W14 by both the the body and floor.

Mercedes should have a little more wind tunnel time than Ferrari, and if the rumors are correct, much more than Red Bull. Should be interesting to see what they come up with next spring.
I read somewhere that the FIA wants to give Red Bull a 25% decrease in R&D and wind tunnel time plus a fine. They are pushing back, of course.