The Official Formula 1 Thread 🏁

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
A fallacy regarding the relative performance of the W13 to the W12 and the FW43B which denigrates Hamilton's abilities and elevates Russell's. Data can tell any story you want it to, and people are choosing to tell stories of Lewis falling off and George showing greatness, looking at the results vs what led to the results.
Oh I know. But I'm saying outside of the "results", the data shows Lewis has been the the better performer. But certain groups have their agendas... I just feel sorry for poor George after they inevitably flip on him.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see people saying this-- but absolutely no data supports that. How is GR acclimated better when Lewis' race pace and qualifying has been superior thus far?

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really hold up to someone pointing out that George has finished better than Lewis in all but one race, and had more points.

Hamilton's skill doesn't seem to have dropped off a cliff, so really the only thing that could be looked at is the car, which Mercedes themselves have said isn't up to their usual standard. And even from my fairly new viewpoint, I can tell you that there's just as much to be said for wringing the best results out of a car as there is to be said for getting your team to understand what the car needs to do for your skillset. Aside from the astronomically bad luck Lewis has had so far, George being used to having to make a subpart car work is really the main difference.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really hold up to someone pointing out that George has finished better than Lewis in all but one race, and had more points.

Hamilton's skill doesn't seem to have dropped off a cliff, so really the only thing that could be looked at is the car, which Mercedes themselves have said isn't up to their usual standard. And even from my fairly new viewpoint, I can tell you that there's just as much to be said for wringing the best results out of a car as there is to be said for getting your team to understand what the car needs to do for your skillset. Aside from the astronomically bad luck Lewis has had so far, George being used to having to make a subpart car work is really the main difference.
I'm glad you're here. And we try not to be "gatekeepers". But as you said. You are "fairly new". Lewis has been the given the more experimental car which allowed them to get to this point in rectifying their issues, with GR being given the more "stable" performant setups. And that's not touching on some of the sheer dumb luck. The only truly impressive thing he's done this season was his defense against Max on Sunday. Bottas could never.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm glad you're here. And we try not to be "gatekeepers". But as you said. You are "fairly new". Lewis has been the given the more experimental car which allowed them to get to this point in rectifying their issues, with GR being given the more "stable" performant setups. And that's not touching on some of the sheer dumb luck. The only truly impressive thing he's done this season was his defense against Max on Sunday. Bottas could never.

Right. But it's also not an either/or thing. George being very good with this car doesn't mean that Lewis is garbage or anything. As I see it, it just highlights that Mercedes itself is the issue (actually, it's really a case of the new regulations having the intended effect on Mercedes, but that's a whole other conversation), and they don't really know how to give Lewis what he's asking for out of the car right now.

KRayner

All Star
Daps
I finished the latest season of DTS on Sunday. Did my guy Hamilton so dirty still. The ending was weird as hell too.

They didn't really discuss the fallout much, just showed Toto in a bond villain turtleneck saying "everyone is a target" :russ: :dahell:

calh45

Cal
Daps
I feel like the far-out design might start to come back to them once they iron out these gremlins. Can they do it in enough time to fight back? We'll see.
Too far behind for this year.

:manny:
I see people saying this-- but absolutely no data supports that. How is GR acclimated better when Lewis' race pace and qualifying has been superior thus far?
The data is the end results plus qualifying. George has beat Lewis in qualifying as many times as Lewis has beaten him. That right there shows off comfortability with the car when you compare other first year performances. And with the higher point totals some of that is luck, but George wasn't getting smoked by Lewis like Bottas was and most of that is comfort with the car.

I ain't really like George, but he has had done a better job than Lewis on dealing with underperforming too. Lewis literally wanted to quit during the race on Sunday. Lewis is my dude, but just the fact that George is up with him would be a win for George let alone that he's currently beating him in points and out qualified him half the time.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Too far behind for this year.

:manny:

The data is the end results plus qualifying. George has beat Lewis in qualifying as many times as Lewis has beaten him. That right there shows off comfortability with the car when you compare other first year performances. And with the higher point totals some of that is luck, but George wasn't getting smoked by Lewis like Bottas was and most of that is comfort with the car.

I ain't really like George, but he has had done a better job than Lewis on dealing with underperforming too. Lewis literally wanted to quit during the race on Sunday. Lewis is my dude, but just the fact that George is up with him would be a win for George let alone that he's currently beating him in points and out qualified him half the time.
I see you didn’t read the Ross Brawn article I posted. It was quite timely for this discusssion. Also, I don’t want to do a bunch of tit for tat back and forth— but VB also led Lewis in the championship in the early days of seasons. So what GR is doing is nothing knew. People are just jumping the gun as usual on a 22 race season. And Lewis didn’t quit. He was telling the team he wouldn’t be upset if they chose to retire the car rather than waste an engine chasing zero points. They told him points was possible and he put in an all time great drive.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
They finally fixed the site..

Not really expecting much from Merc this weekend, but hopefully they surprise. I'm just happy they sorted out their main gremlin and confirmed that the concept works. Now they can focus on understanding the car and setup window while they keep brining performance upgrades.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Riccardo crashes into wall

McLaren: "Daniel, is the car okay?"
Riccardo: " Uhh..I'm okay"

:mjlol:
Didnt he say this because he didnt know he had crashed ? In hindsight it seems that they didnt have that info hence why dude asked about the car ?