The Official Formula 1 Thread šŸ

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Hereā€™s whatā€™s wild. Hamilton is actually still getting better. That must be killing these white folks inside. By 35 theyā€™re usually all worn out. Lewis looks like he has another half decade in him. I think if the 2022 changes make for exciting races, weā€™ll get Lewis for another two years past the next three he said heā€™d definitely do.

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
He said that? :heh:

Both Hamilton and Max said Bottas was abusing his tires and that it was going to happen.
All drivers have excuses when shyt goes left, I never expect them to out and out say it. The rain was around T11, and very light for 1, maybe 2 laps. If it was going to be a mistake due to weather, it would have happened going onto the back straight. Hamilton had been closing back up due to Bottas's tire deg for a couple of laps. Whatever graining Hamilton experienced, it seemed to happen several laps earlier and he just drove through it because he initially came through with a message about understeer and difficulty closing the gap, then a few laps later he was good. He took such good care of the tires that he was target +2 when they pit Bottas, and I'm sure they would have extended that if it wasn't for the VSC. Max clearly wasn't doing all that much better than Bottas with the tires either because Hamilton was starting to walk on away from him prior to the stop. Hamilton is just smarter with where he does his tire management - making sure he's not asking too much in high load turns while making sure he keeps the pace through low load turns. Then add in his ability to leave enough for several push laps late in the stint even when he has to extend past the original plan.

It's going to be a long time until people understand how masterful his driving ability is.

Last edited:

Taco

All Star
Daps
All drivers have excuses when shyt goes left, I never expect them to out and out say it. The rain was around T11, and very light for 1, maybe 2 laps. If it was going to be a mistake due to weather, it would have happened going onto the back straight. Hamilton had been closing back up due to Bottas's tire deg for a couple of laps. Whatever graining Hamilton experienced, it seemed to happen several laps earlier and he just drove through it because he initially came through with a message about understeer and difficulty closing the gap, then a few laps later he was good. He took such good care of the tires that he was target +2 when they pit Bottas, and I'm sure they would have extended that if it wasn't for the VSC. Max clearly wasn't doing all that much better than Bottas with the tires either because Hamilton was starting to walk on away from him prior to the stop. Hamilton is just smarter with where he does his tire management - making sure he's not asking too much in high load turns while making sure he keeps the pace through low load turns. Then add in his ability to leave enough for several push laps late in the stint even when he has to extend past the original plan.

It's going to be a long time until people understand how masterful his driving ability is.
We make fun of his paranoia for his tires, but it's truly underrated how well he preserves them while dominating a race.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Eddie-Long.gif

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Andrew Benson BBC column, for those interested:

Excerpts below
Lewis Hamilton says it will take him time to come to terms with the momentous achievement that came with winning Sunday's Eifel Grand Prix - equalling Michael Schumacher's all-time record of Formula 1 victories.

"It's definitely not just another win," the Mercedes driver said, as he sat down for his final media engagement of the day, after finishing his debrief with his team.

"I'm really just over this past hour or so trying to contemplate and realise what it is we have done and what I have been able to achieve. And I would say for the next couple of days that is where my mind is going to be.

"Just wow. It is hard to find the right words and be able to compute exactly, but it is definitely a special one."

Hamilton's 91st career victory equalled a record some felt might never be broken. He will move well beyond it before this season is over.

He is also now not very many races at all away from equalling another - Schumacher's equally monumental accomplishment, of seven world championships. Hamilton's victory at the Nurburgring put him 69 points clear of team-mate Valtteri Bottas, with just 156 still available.

As Hamilton spoke on Sunday, he tried to explain what it all meant to him at the same time as trying to make sense of it for himself.

He spoke of being "humbled" by the moment, "proud" of the work he had done with Mercedes these last eight years, and the "honour" he felt at being presented with one of Schumacher's old helmets by the German's son Mick, himself poised to enter F1 before long.

Hamilton described Michael Schumacher as "an icon and a legend of the sport". He reflected on the "journey" that had got him to where he is, and the people who had helped him along the way - particularly his father, Anthony, and Mercedes and McLaren, who backed him from the age of 13, long before it was clear he could become what he has.

It was left to the two men on the podium with him at the end of the race, Red Bull's Max Verstappen and Renault's Daniel Ricciardo, to put some meaning to Hamilton's achievement.

"Ninety-one wins - everyone thought that was almost impossible to reach," Verstappen said. "So to be there now is incredible and I am pretty sure there will be some more victories coming his way and probably also championships. Just very impressive. And hard to beat."

"Tip of the hat, at the very least," Ricciardo said. "Ninety-one races is nearly five years' worth of races. That gives perspective on how much success Lewis has now had. Michael as well.

"To do it week in, week out as well, and year on year - his career has been well over a decade - and to keep coming back and to show that level of consistency at the front is not easy.

"We understand that. You can have the package and car to do it but doing it every weekend when the lights go out is easier said than done. So, big respect."

As Hamilton surveyed his career, one moment stood out as the key turning point that led him to where he is now - his decision to leave McLaren at the end of 2012 and join Mercedes.

Seventy of Hamilton's victories have come since that moment, but it's easy to forget now that at the time many questioned his decision, for McLaren back then were a front-running team, and Mercedes very much were not.

"I knew it was the right decision for me and I wanted to be part of the journey of growing with a team that was hungry for success," Hamilton said. "But that was one of the most difficult moments.

"I have been a very loyal person. I had been with McLaren since I was 13 so to decide to leave a team that had given me a place in the sport was very, very difficult for me. And to call your boss and tell them you're leaving was damaging and emotionally difficult."

PL368Z

All Star
Daps
Mkkklaren congratulating that Finnish fraud kimi while ignoring their last champion 91th win.

Probably still salty that their Button experiment didn't work out as they thought it would, while lewis went on to do what he should be doing all along (dominating F1).