Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
Messi can have his crown in the weak La Liga while Ronaldo rules the CL :manny:

You notice how Ronaldo is compared to Messi, while Messi is compared to Pele and Maradona? :jbhmm: that alone should tell you something

How is Ronaldo with Juventus and you have the nerve to talk about someone being in a weak ass league? :mjlol:

nikkas keep bringing up CL like Messi has never even won one.

We got to witness both of them in the same league for like 9 years,facing the same opposition and watch Messi consistently body him. Won best La Liga player 7 fukking times, while your mans won 2.

galsen

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tell Messi to win a world cup. Ronaldo too. Neither of them are the GOAT. This is honesty the weakest era of defenders in Football history. Realistically, Ramos is the only central defender from this era going down in history as an all time great defender. Why? he's clutch, a known hot head, 4 time CL winner, 3 CLs in a row, Scoring the goal that took 2014 CL final to extra time to win, won everything internationally and has been the best central defender in the world since 2014. I don't consider, Thiago Silva, Dante, Pique, bonucci etc as defensive legends.

As for full backs, those are Dani Alves, Marcelo and lahm.

The previous era we had legends like Nesta, Cannavaro, Costacurta ,Maldini, Cafu, Ashley Cole, Stam, Puyol,Zanetti, Samuel, Zambrotta, Grosso, davids, roberto carlos etc. I could go on and on. What defender today is even half as good as the these? Messi and Ronaldo would not be styling on these motherfukkers. Defenders today are dog shyt.
I agree with the defenders era, coupled to the fact that offensive players are WAY more protected now. Just imagine what Ronaldo R9 would have done with that type of protection in the 90s. CR7 and Messi would NEVER have these stats in the 90s. Also remember how a very old Zanetti put Messi in his pocket in 2010? That was a thing of beauty. How you gonna cite Dante tho, lmao.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
I don't rate la liga. Eventhough Barca have beaten English teams (and will destroy Man U easily), I really don't think they'll be beating teams left and right in the EPL, same goes for Madrid. EPL is more tougher and full of surprises. No way Barca winning 8 EPLs in 10 years like they did in la liga.
If City can do I don't see what is so special about premier League teams to stop them catching that L to Madrid and Barca. We've seen sevilla,celta,valencia give english teams that work too so.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Tell Messi to win a world cup. Ronaldo too. Neither of them are the GOAT. This is honesty the weakest era of defenders in Football history. Realistically, Ramos is the only central defender from this era going down in history as an all time great defender. Why? he's clutch, a known hot head, 4 time CL winner, 3 CLs in a row, Scoring the goal that took 2014 CL final to extra time to win, won everything internationally and has been the best central defender in the world since 2014. I don't consider, Thiago Silva, Dante, Pique, bonucci etc as defensive legends.

The previous era we had legends like Nesta, Cannavaro, Costacurta ,Maldini, Cafu, Ashley Cole, Stam, Puyol,Zanetti, Samuel, Zambrotta, Grosso, davids, roberto carlos etc. I could go on and on. What defender today is even half as good as the these? Messi and Ronaldo would not be styling on these motherfukkers. Defenders today are dog shyt.

:stopitslime: Davids a midfielder, Grosso :mjlol:.

Dante :dead: cult legend, yes. Nothing more than that.

Naming inferior Samuel and Stam before Thuram and Desailly :mjpls:.

Ramos the most overrated defender EVER, excellent footballer, as a straight up defender he's alright, just a GQ Gary Cahill.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh

I think you're underestimating how long Messi and CR7 have been around. They done it to most of those guys. And they've only got better with age

Puyol.. Cannavaro... R Carlos... Ashley Cole..Rio Ferdinand.. John Terry
All got that work

Also what group of world class defenders was Pele embarrassing week in week out

Last edited:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Defending/Defensive play is down in all sports, why? Sports have evolved and changing of the rules in favour of attacking play. Team Sports become more quicker and athletes have become more athletic, better tekkers, more healthier and have access to more advanced sports science and analysis then ever before. Sport in general has become more mechanical and about repetition, that reading and instincts have become secondary.

The romanticism of defending in previous eras is nice, but people forget, you could get away with the dark arts of intimidation with common assault challenges back in the day and all you would get is a telling off, don't do it again. Nowadays athlete safety is more endorsed.

At the elite level, the evolution of the back 5 has required then to do more than what the forwards have to do. As forwards/wingers have always had to track back, but not all defenders have had to initiate attacks.

Keepers have to be able to control the ball like a midfielder and pass the ball and not just launch it. CB's have to pass and bring the ball out, CB's have to play higher line. FB's have to pushed up and be wingers. Ask defenders to do more and more mistakes will happen.

Last edited:

Montez

Superstar
Daps
I hope Man Utd bring plenty of lube in their champions league games. :francis::dame:

Van Dijk. He’s better than Ramos. I’m not 100% sure Ramos is a great defender. Too many red cards, too violent. The greats never accumulated cards like him. And a lot of his attacking comes from corners not in game transitions.

Varane has a similar CV to Ramos. He’s a better player. Pique is a better player than Ramos.

Do agree it is the weakest era of defenders. Coincidentally think Ramos is the best example of that.

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps

Why do u rate a tourni that comes around every 4 years rather than football that is played constantly through each year

Ronaldo n Messi are top 2, for me Messi is better.

And

Chielinni >>> Puyol ..zambrotta grosso and costacurta

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
You notice how Ronaldo is compared to Messi, while Messi is compared to Pele and Maradona? :jbhmm: that alone should tell you something

How is Ronaldo with Juventus and you have the nerve to talk about someone being in a weak ass league? :mjlol:

nikkas keep bringing up CL like Messi has never even won one.

We got to witness both of them in the same league for like 9 years,facing the same opposition and watch Messi consistently body him. Won best La Liga player 7 fukking times, while your mans won 2.

Barca always had a better team the Real during thier clashes, stop it. Cron owns the CL and 3 other leagues while messi stays on a team built around him.

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
Barca always had a better team the Real during thier clashes, stop it. Cron owns the CL and 3 other leagues while messi stays on a team built around him.

Let's not act like real wasn't built around Ronaldo

Ronaldo only comes alive in the final 3rd , that's fact

Barca team was built within, the main stars came from the youth team

Ini

Xavi

Sergio b

Pique

Pedro

The list goes on

All came through at the perfect time.