Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
The president of Liberia is a french citizen?

Pulled from wikipedia so we know it's not always 100% but,

"Weah is also eligible to represent France, Jamaica, and Liberia, through his residency and parents' citizenship. Weah stated his decision to represent the United States "wasn't hard at all" and was based on his love of the country and his teammates. He reportedly turned down offers from the French Football Federation to join the French program."

Hard to live up to his dad, but if he finishes like this he'll be something worth watching for the next 10 years. Then he can move back to the MLS and play for Miami or one of the New York teams.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
George live in France for 7 years, after 4-5 years living in an country outside of your birth country you can claim residency. When George started his career in Europe, you had the 3 foreign player rule in a matchday squad, for both domestic and European competitions, so it made sense for him to gain citizenship, even more so when the Civil War was going on.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
when George Weah got US citizenship and then resumed Liberian citizenship which doesn't allow dual citizenship he kept French citizenship?:patrice:
also if he's a French citizen, how did he become President of Liberia which again bars dual citizenship:patrice:
even so, Tim Weah was born in 2000, well after George left France .:patrice:
Pulled from wikipedia so we know it's not always 100% but,

"Weah is also eligible to represent France, Jamaica, and Liberia, through his residency and parents' citizenship. Weah stated his decision to represent the United States "wasn't hard at all" and was based on his love of the country and his teammates. He reportedly turned down offers from the French Football Federation to join the French program."

Hard to live up to his dad, but if he finishes like this he'll be something worth watching for the next 10 years. Then he can move back to the MLS and play for Miami or one of the New York teams.

from what i looked up he would need to have live in France for at least five years and be over 18 to get citizenship:patrice:
wiki isn't always right
the internet says Leon Bailey can play for Germany, Malta or England but that turned out to be false:patrice:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
when George Weah got US citizenship and then resumed Liberian citizenship which doesn't allow dual citizenship he kept French citizenship?:patrice:
also if he's a French citizen, how did he become President of Liberia which again bars dual citizenship:patrice:
even so, Tim Weah was born in 2000, well after George left France .:patrice:

from what i looked up he would need to have live in France for at least five years and be over 18 to get citizenship:patrice:
wiki isn't always right
the internet says Leon Bailey can play for Germany, Malta or England but that turned out to be false:patrice:

https://www.liberianobserver.com/news/citizenship-land-ownership-for-all-races-says-weah/

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
President Weah however did not comment on public concerns about his dual nationalities which according to sources includes French and U.S. citizenship. Legal analysts however hold the view that President Weah’s previous acquisition of French citizenship and then U.S. citizenship in 2013 automatically annulled his rights to Liberian citizenship.

Legally speaking, according to analysts, President Weah’s tenure is illegitimate because he swore allegiance to the United States of America and has not since renounced his U.S. citizenship even though he took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of Liberia. Analysts recall for instance the case of former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori who fled to Japan after being accused of involvement in corruption and human rights abuse.

While this situation may not necessarily obtain in the case of President Weah, according to a former legislator (name withheld), it only highlights the problems associated with dual citizenship particularly with regards to individuals desiring to contest political office. It must however be observed that this is not the first time that such an idea has been bandied about. It was more recently rejected in the 2005 national referendum. Moreover, the idea was discussed quite extensively but failed to make it to the 2011 national referendum.

Under Liberia’s alien and nationality laws, any person who is a citizen by birth or by naturalization shall lose his citizenship by (a) Obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon his own application (b) Taking an oath or making an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof: (c) Exercising a free choice to enter or serve in the armed forces of a foreign state, unless, prior to such entry or service, such entry or service is specifically authorized by the President (d) Voting in a political election in a foreign state or voting in an election or plebiscite to determine the sovereignty of a foreign state over foreign territory; or (e) Making a formal renunciation of Liberian nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of Liberia in a foreign state in such form may be prescribed by the Secretary of State.
this is why im doubting whether Tim Weah could really have play for france because of his dad.
i think he would have to live in France a little longer

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
this is why im doubting whether Tim Weah could really have play for france because of his dad.
i think he would have to live in France a little longer

From an article 22 years ago.

Political Football : As His Soccer Stature Grows Around the World, Weah Hasn't Forgotten About Trouble at Home in Liberia

It would be easy for Weah to turn his back on his country. After all, he is financially secure and as at home in New York as in Paris or Milan. He and his American wife, Clar, have three children, the oldest a Jamaican-born daughter they adopted. But even though he holds joint Liberian-French citizenship, he can't ignore the plight of his native land.

How to Get U.S.-France Dual Citizenship

P.S. fukk you for making me do this on my busted phone. :pacspit:

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Dip

Max B

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
tdot
F#ck Palmeiras and anybody that love them.

ibawdgXTzrMGKs.gif

Negged :arsenaltears:
Funny just today at my job a brazilian guy whos a palmeiras fan was telling me about the game going to penalty. He said its a state tournament?

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Funny just today at my job a brazilian guy whos a palmeiras fan was telling me about the game going to penalty. He said its a state tournament?

Yeah, before the Brasileirão begins the different states and regions hold tournaments. You have the Paulistão, Gauchão, Carioca, Copa Do Nordeste, etc. They’re not as prestigious as they use to be back in the day. Back then all you had was the local tournaments, because it was too expensive and difficult to travel throughout the entire country.

But they’re still important for bragging rights, and you typically end up playing your biggest rivals.

Last edited:

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
@THEREALBRAND

The young boy Vinicias Junior , you reckon he's gonna do work at Madrid ? From what little i've seen, he looks like he got next.

He has the skill and athleticism to be great. He’s inconsistent from game to game though, but that’s expected for someone that young. This year I want to see if he can dominate on a game to game basis, especially in big games. He scores a lot, but a lot of his goals come against sub-par competition.

For me to C/S him at Madrid I have to see him perform on the big stages, like Gabriel Jesus did most recently.