Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I don't know what you're trying to say bro but look back over deschamp's call up history. Tolisso has always been preferred over bakayoko to the point baks said he doesn't understand why he is not getting called up but truthfully he hasn't been that great this season. I doubt he is even in the world cup squad considering he can't even make the team while pogba is unavailable

:mjpls: You think Toliso is objectively better than Bayakoko?

Quarquar

Pro
Daps
For club or country? He's been one of Chelsea's most consistent players.

He hasn't been as good as he was for Monaco. I have also yet to hear anyone say they've been impressed by his play this season. He has given the ball away a lot, been sloppy in possesion, his passing has left a lot to be desired, he's fouled alot and at times has just looked overwhelmed. Why do you believe he has been the squads most consistent player? As DM he is not even near the top of PL in tackles or possession retained and leads the entire league in fouls. He only has 2 more tackles than n golo Kante who has missed significant time as well

Quarquar

Pro
Daps
:mjpls: You think Toliso is objectively better than Bayakoko?

They're two different players. Tolisso is much better in the final 3rd. Baks is a much better defensively. That is irrelevant though considering the topic is selection for the french national team, not who is better. Look back over deschamps call up history. Tolisso has always been preferred over bakayoko. Has nothing to do with who I believe is better.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
why are you guys rating france over brazil or germany? brazil has a ridiculous winning streak right now, and germany has yet to lose in 2017. both teams have a better manager and seem to play better when it matters. france has the talent on paper, but most of them are young and inexperienced. i'd place them as the favorites for 2022, but right now i have them as 3rd/4th best team in the world.

The French coach is not that bad. He did a good job to rebuild a team after the South African shameful strike. He may seem conservative sometimes, which is frustrating, but much needed when you have to deal with so many egos... He wants to avoid the potential implosion of the team at all costs.
In 2018 French players won't be that young and inexperienced, that was the case for the WC in Brazil tho.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
I use a simple formula when rooting for teams in the world cup. Its usually 5 teams I'll Stan.

Automatically is the USA. But since they are out I lose 1 team.

I then choose a country from the UEFA Big 5: Spain, Italy, England, France & Germany. This is always France

I then have my African team. Its usually been Cote D'Ivoire but they out. So it's Nigeria

Next is a Latin country south of the US. I'm torn on this still. I have some days off mid December for my bday. I'll either be in Argentina, Colombia or Brazil. Wherever I go, I'll come back with there jersey and they'll be my squad.

Then I select a random team from a country I've traveled to recently that I like and that has a good jersey. This will be Switzerland

am37r4.jpg

Watch out these Puma jerseys were cheap af the last tournament, kinda the Nike NBA jersey this year.

Civilisé

Rookie
Daps
They're two different players. Tolisso is much better in the final 3rd. Baks is a much better defensively.

Exactly, Deschamps sees them as two different players. Baka is your typical strong def midfielder and France is already stacked with them. This place is for Pogba and Kanté. The question is who's gonna play this more offensive/sentinel role. So far Tolisso has been impressive with the NT, his pass quality and how he reads the game were more convincing than Baka (both being recent call ups).
Baka wasn't called because Deschamps wanted to give Nzonzi a shot, he deserved it.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For a nation of under 5 million where football isn't even in the top 3 most popular sports we do alright I think. :gucci:

Consistently punch above our weight.

We? You are Scottish. :russ:

And soccer is statistically the most popular sport in Ireland, stop making shyt up. Football is two, rugby is three and hurling is four.

Anyway you missed my point, singing when you are 5-1 down is pathetic loser shyt.

Fenian

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Govan
We? You are Scottish. :russ:

And soccer is statistically the most popular sport in Ireland, stop making shyt up. Football is two, rugby is three and hurling is four.

Anyway you missed my point, singing when you are 5-1 down is pathetic loser shyt.

I live in Scotland, I am Irish and have an Irish passport (have a British one as well though) so I can support both teams. :mjgrin:

And most soccer games struggle to get a couple thousand people through the gate, hurling and football can easily get 25,000 plus at a game.

And if you're losing singing is the best thing you can do, takes your mind off the fact you got humped 5 1. Done the same thing at the Celtic PSG game and it was a laugh in the end. What would you have us do, riot? :mjlol: