Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
@Liu Kang what you think about the back 3 becoming more and more popular in the PL? Think I saw Hull play with it recently :lupe: stopgap measure for injuries or an emerging trend?

@mastermind :lupe:
Dunno really.

May have to do with the lack of old school crossing wingers because now they all drifting towards the goal so full backs seems unnecessary then as they provide width in the back. Fortifying the axis seem to be the best solution against them because instead of having two CB, you got 3 though there is then space behind the one person on the wing. There was also this trend in 4/3/3s with the 6 dropping low between the CB allowing the FBs to push higher and making it de facto a back 3 or a 2+1 in attacking phase. But it also depends on how many forwards the opp has too : usually back 3 is a good solution against a front 2 but it seems overkill if there is only one. Maybe it's also because of false 9s dropping letting the finishing to the (2) wingers (à la Real Madrid for example) or with teams with very attacking midfielders seconding a lone forward. Ultimately, trends come and go.

But it's weird because the back 3 was revived in the Serie A with Juve, Napoli and/or Inter a couple years ago and now those teams are slowly avoiding that type of defense. Benitez came back to a back 4, same as Mancini for Napoli and Inter. And Juve struggles with the back 3 in the CL and sometimes they revert back to a back 4 though they ain't really successful either.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
BoAA4Tc.png
VK4hFS9.png
I take it you're not too familiar with a little something called #WengerSeason Breh?
How many custom smileys do you have breh ? :pachaha:

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
@Liu Kang what you think about the back 3 becoming more and more popular in the PL? Think I saw Hull play with it recently :lupe: stopgap measure for injuries or an emerging trend?

@mastermind :lupe:

Not a trend until you see articles popping up about the benefits and drawbacks. As of now it's a stopgap, IMO. Reminds me of when 4/3 defensive schemes were predominant across the NFL and teams started running the 3/4 because of personnel or an odd coach's preference.

Edit: :bryan:yeah should have left this to @Liu Kang

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Not a trend until you see articles popping up about the benefits and drawbacks. As of now it's a stopgap, IMO. Reminds me of when 4/3 defensive schemes were predominant across the NFL and teams started running the 3/4 because of personnel or an odd coach's preference.

Edit: :bryan:yeah should have left this to @Liu Kang

Well I have been seeing murmurs about it since the end of the year roundups dropped. Example:

http://www.theguardian.com/football...14-three-at-the-back-back-in-fashion-football

Thanks for the overview @Liu Kang :tu: