Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
funny, i checked facebook for the first time in months yesterday and my liberal white professors are RAVING about Dear White People
the movie is for them. Those are the only reviewers who are saying its brilliant. Along with the Rembrandt-types.

It just wasnt good.

Saw Dear White People

@mastermind was pretty much on point. I didn't laugh once, and it was very heavy-handed and just sorta blahhhh.

In terms of the satire and the messages the movie was sending it was all preaching to the choir but I'm guessing that's why it was addressed to white people.

It was like those Buzzfeed type articles that poke fun at white people in movie form, those ubiquitous lists and internet think pieces that more or less all have the same messages about black life in the united states.

And I didn't really have much time for any of the characters at all.
exactly. The only character I slightly cared about was the gay black kid, but he lost me at the party. It just wasnt good. I told my friends that and they got mad at me or tried to tell me I was wrong.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
Saw Dear White People

@mastermind was pretty much on point. I didn't laugh once, and it was very heavy-handed and just sorta blahhhh.

In terms of the satire and the messages the movie was sending it was all preaching to the choir but I'm guessing that's why it was addressed to white people.

It was like those Buzzfeed type articles that poke fun at white people in movie form, those ubiquitous lists and internet think pieces that more or less all have the same messages about black life in the united states.

And I didn't really have much time for any of the characters at all.

Movie was 5/10. They really could've done so much more but ironically they ended up white washing themselves. Hopefully someone makes a similar more poignant movie down the line.

With that being said... What movies does the OFT like?

I'm trying to watch that new Michael keaton flick when it comes my way.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Movie was 5/10. They really could've done so much more but ironically they ended up white washing themselves. Hopefully someone makes a similar more poignant movie down the line.

With that being said... What movies does the OFT like?

I'm trying to watch that new Michael keaton flick when it comes my way.
I've seen A Most Wanted Man, The Drop, Gone Girl, and Fury in successive weeks. The only one I wouldn't recommend is Fury. A Most Wanted Man being the class of the bunch.

KingHurst

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can elaborate on how I was overreacting. We're on a message board, we can debate about it, no problem :salute:

But I don't think I overreacted honestly because Barça's problems have been going on for a couple of years now. I was a Barça stan (more a Guardiola stan to be frank) and this Barça doesn't have the rhythm, the clinical passing, the movement and the cohesion he had. I was watching the game and I was mad at the lack of pace, the lack of runs, the lack of pressing from Barça.
Individually, Iniesta (peace be upon him) is losing his magic and doesn't really impact big games like he used to. Messi doesn't press anymore and walk most of the times when he comes back from offside position, the central backs aren't good as they used too (Puyi was the one who was holding the backline and there's no defense leader anymor)e. Alves is the ghost of the player he used to be, he doesn't take on players anymore and only crosses though at times he can be really good on D. Busquets was coming back from injury and didn't weighed in that game (and got caught a few times by Madrid's pressing) and Masche should really be the holding midfield. And so on.

Since last year, it's obvious that Madrid > Barça. Better bench, better football (ironically), better D and midfield and better coach.
i think you are overracting cuz this result at the end of the day doesnt mean shyt and still early in the season and it was suarez first game...atletico madrid beat madrid a few weeks ago and it also didnt mean madrid suck or that they werent gonna win this season its still way too early to come to early conclusions...as for the barca not being the same yes of course they arent the same some players have aged and other ones are gone, its never going to b the same again it was a once in a generation thing it wasnt going to last forever bro

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Fury was hot fire :ufdup:

but it was missing something to be a great film
Fury is a very watchable hot mess.

It's not terrible in any way. But here's what's wrong with it aka what it's missing to be a great film

1. What the fukk is Brad Pitt's character? He feels like a purely astethic combination of atleast five captains from different war movies. He is so many things he is ultimately nothing.

2. The ridiculous shift from the rookie being a simp to suddenly yelling "fukkING NAZIS" and being the first to volunteer to stay when he's been with the squad for like 20 minutes.

3. Michael Pena coming off as incredibly anachronistic at times.

4. Wasting a great performance from Jon Bernthal, and a pretty good one from Shia. Also, Shia would have been fantastic as the rookie. The dude that played the rookie immediately stopped being convincing the second he wasn't a p*ssy.

5. THE fukkING ENDING.

Okay. This was a major gripe for me. THE HEROIC SACRIFICE ONLY WORKS WHEN DOOM IS INEVITABLE AND SACRIFICE IS THE ONLY WAY. Where the fukk did the tank being "home" come from? That's another thing with Pitt's character being like every character but none at all. At the dinner scene dude looks like a composite gentleman holding onto sense of civilization and then suddenly he knows no life other than the tank? But back to the sacrifice. IT WAS STUPID. ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GO INTO THE WOODS FOR LIKE EIGHT HOURS AND A US FORCE WAS GOING TO BE THERE. THEY DIED FOR ABSOLUTELY fukkING NO REASON. THEY fukkING LOST ANYWAY, AND THE FORCE THEY FOUGHT WAS SO MUCH fukkING SMALLER THAN THE FORCE THAT ARRIVED IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A WASH. IT WAS JUST fukkING STUPID. LAZY ASS WRITING AT THE UTMOST, AND A COMPLETE REACH FOR A DRAMATIC ENDING. IF THE TANK BREAKS DOWN JUST SECONDS BEFORE THE GERMANS ARRIVE AND THERE IS A REAL FLEETING MOMENT WHERE FLIGHT OR FIGHT IS THE CALL, THEN TERRIFIC, BUT THEY HAD fukkING FOREVER.

AND THEN AT THE END PUTTING IN SOME COMPLETELY UNDEVELOPED NOTION OF 'WE'RE ALL THE SAME" WHEN THE YOUNG LOOKING GERMAN KID SPARED THE ROOKIE WHO WAS YELLING "fukkING NAZIS" AND WILLINGLY MAKING A SACRIFICE TWO MINUTES AGO BUT IS NOW A p*ssy AGAIN.

This movie wanted to be too many damn things.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Fury is a very watchable hot mess.

It's not terrible in any way. But here's what's wrong with it aka what it's missing to be a great film

1. What the fukk is Brad Pitt's character? He feels like a purely astethic combination of atleast five captains from different war movies. He is so many things he is ultimately nothing.

2. The ridiculous shift from the rookie being a simp to suddenly yelling "fukkING NAZIS" and being the first to volunteer to stay when he's been with the squad for like 20 minutes.

3. Michael Pena coming off as incredibly anachronistic at times.

4. Wasting a great performance from Jon Bernthal, and a pretty good one from Shia. Also, Shia would have been fantastic as the rookie. The dude that played the rookie immediately stopped being convincing the second he wasn't a p*ssy.

5. THE fukkING ENDING.

Okay. This was a major gripe for me. THE HEROIC SACRIFICE ONLY WORKS WHEN DOOM IS INEVITABLE AND SACRIFICE IS THE ONLY WAY. Where the fukk did the tank being "home" come from? That's another thing with Pitt's character being like every character but none at all. At the dinner scene dude looks like a composite gentleman holding onto sense of civilization and then suddenly he knows no life other than the tank? But back to the sacrifice. IT WAS STUPID. ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GO INTO THE WOODS FOR LIKE EIGHT HOURS AND A US FORCE WAS GOING TO BE THERE. THEY DIED FOR ABSOLUTELY fukkING NO REASON. THEY fukkING LOST ANYWAY, AND THE FORCE THEY FOUGHT WAS SO MUCH fukkING SMALLER THAN THE FORCE THAT ARRIVED IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A WASH. IT WAS JUST fukkING STUPID. LAZY ASS WRITING AT THE UTMOST, AND A COMPLETE REACH FOR A DRAMATIC ENDING. IF THE TANK BREAKS DOWN JUST SECONDS BEFORE THE GERMANS ARRIVE AND THERE IS A REAL FLEETING MOMENT WHERE FLIGHT OR FIGHT IS THE CALL, THEN TERRIFIC, BUT THEY HAD fukkING FOREVER.

AND THEN AT THE END PUTTING IN SOME COMPLETELY UNDEVELOPED NOTION OF 'WE'RE ALL THE SAME" WHEN THE YOUNG LOOKING GERMAN KID SPARED THE ROOKIE WHO WAS YELLING "fukkING NAZIS" AND WILLINGLY MAKING A SACRIFICE TWO MINUTES AGO BUT IS NOW A p*ssy AGAIN.

This movie wanted to be too many damn things.
1. I will say, there was an opportunity lost with Pitt's character. There was that scene in the beginning when he started crying after seeing his breh get his head blown off. You never saw that emotion again from him.

2. Breh, its war. You gotta grow up fast. That was the point. And he grew into that mode. He didnt immediately jump in either. He was still slightly shook when he mowed some down before they had that dinner.

3. I disagree.

4. I disagree here also. I think the only character that was wasted was Pitt's. Everyone else were powerful.

5. The rookie was scared of dying. We all are. I will say that the German soldier sparring dude's life was fukked up and missed the point of the movie, and why I liked it so much. And they delayed and caused significant casualties to German troops which helped along the way for the other battalions. It def meant something for them to sacrifice like that.

THe one issue, and it was probably intentional, was timing. We dont know how long breh stayed under. This movie did a bad job with that.

Other than that, this movie was fire but it is not a great movie. I also liked the lack of care for German soldiers. I feel thats real.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
@Grams you ever heard that song "Sailing" by Christopher Cross though?
@Grams you heard "Keep A Light On" by Maxus?

Thing that was annoying about Dear was the best looking woman in the film had like 15 seconds of screen time. The one who rang the gong whenever the white people came in the cafeteria, and when Sam was speaking in the beginning it kept cutting to her. Glimpses of her was what kept me interested tbh:ehh:

Can't find her on imdb though :mjcry:

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Kid tries telling me scope some Dear White People and i'll be dear gramsing their ass:yeshrug:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
@Grams you heard "Keep A Light On" by Maxus?
@Grams, you heard "Georgy Porgy" by Toto?

Thing that was annoying about Dear was the best looking woman in the film had like 15 seconds of screen time. The one who rang the gong whenever the white people came in the cafeteria, and when Sam was speaking in the beginning it kept cutting to her. Glimpses of her was what kept me interested tbh:ehh:

Can't find her on imdb though :mjcry:
:rudy:

Teyonah Parris was the GAWDess in this joint. That green skirt she wore :wow:
I want to put my face in her ass and thats all I thought about when she was on screen. :wow:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
@Grams, you heard "Georgy Porgy" by Toto?

@Grams you heard "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright?

@Grams
:rudy:

Teyonah Parris was the GAWDess in this joint. That green skirt she wore :wow:
I want to put my face in her ass and thats all I thought about when she was on screen. :wow:

I like her in Mad Men. Wasn't really feeling her in this with the wig and the contacts. I thought the girl who played Sam looked better than Teyonah too :yeshrug:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
@Grams you heard "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright?
@Grams you heard "This is It" by Kenny Loggins?

I like her in Mad Men. Wasn't really feeling her in this with the wig and the contacts. I thought the girl who played Sam looked better than Teyonah too :yeshrug:
I genuinely dont remember how "Gong girl" looked. Im not watching it again either, so I will never know. :why:

But I cant say that Sam looked better than Teyonah

I just like chocolate skin

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
:avbusure:

QQ4JSv6.jpg

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
@Grams you heard "This is It" by Kenny Loggins?

@Grams you heard "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car" by Billy Ocean?

I genuinely dont remember how "Gong girl" looked. Im not watching it again either, so I will never know. :why:

But I cant say that Sam looked better than Teyonah

I just like chocolate skin

Far right. That ain't representative of her though :mjcry:

13914-1.jpg