Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:damn:

Not even mad, we were exhausted and I don't think we would've won the penalty shootout anyway. But god damn, Angelo and Valber are gonna feel like shyt for a long ass time :no:

Your boys tired badly.

Cuevas looked alright, future superstar imho.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
“Most people don’t have to choose which country to represent. If i’m going to represent a country - well, then I’d have to choose one - and reject the other. That’s the rules - facts of life.

Firstly, I have to say that both federations have been very kind to me. In Norway I’ve had meetings with both Semb and Skullerud, and they have stood forward in a way that has made it almost painful not to say YES to them, with regards to what they’ve said and how sympathetic the two of them are.

I’m both norwegian and american, and I feel just as much as both, even though all my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins live in the US.
Haven’t been especially happy having to choose one over the other. Yet I understand that I’ve been privileged being able to choose between goods and not between evils, as many others have to.

Now that I’m not sitting on the fence any longer - but am willing to become cap-tied - it becomes in certain ways a political choice, exactly since it becomes a matter of values.
I’m first and foremost an athlete, and not someone who solves the big problems in society. Therefore I’ve been willing to make my choice a matter of sports policy, exactly in order to mix sports and (regular) policy to a minimal degree.

And then perhaps “the die has been cast" by three of four reasons:

1) I’m given enough freedom to have Mix or Morgenstar on the shirt.

2) In american sports, the best performers in “american selections" are chosen to represent the nation. In Norway the athletes are chosen, that a committee believes can yield most medals and honour in a long term perspective. Here we’ll find that individualism and the interests of the nation are in direct conflict. I believe that sports should be run on the premises of the individuals and the athletes - more like that rather than like how the communist and fascist states used to run it, and we in Norway unfortunately still do. I can mention many selections for the national skiing team and the rejection of gymnast Espen Jansen as the craziest examples.

3. Football (soccer) is amazing for the participants. For children - boys and girls - it’s cheap, and it creates so much joy and community. I believe the difference we can make by football becoming more popular in the states are bigger than in Norway, where you could almost say that football already occupies too much space. To be able to contribute just a little in shifting the focus from expensive or exclusive sports - to a sport like football in a big country - matters a lot.

4) I hate doping and cheating in sports. More cheating and doping is being done in american sports compared to norwegian sports. In the US, I’ll get a bigger opportunity to voice my opinion about that, and go straight into clinch with the cheaters. Maybe you need some more “norwegian values" there.

If you write any of this - then please add that I’m grateful. Especially to the moms and dads in Frigg (football club) that allowed me to lie about my age, and that let us keep doing penalty shootouts despite the rules of the FA.

Mix

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Your boys tired badly.

Cuevas looked alright, future superstar imho.

Yeah, it was difficult they could hold physically but it was worse than I feared. In 07' we beat Nigeria in extra time (quarterfinals too) because that team had an incredible physical condition, I missed that from this team.

I'm still iffy on Cuevas. He has the potential to be great (Castillo and Henriquez too imo) but I think needs to play for the right team or manager to fully develop. If he stays in Chile for too long or goes to an european team only to not play meaningful minutes, he's gonna get lost in the shuffle like Matias Campos Toro.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, it was difficult they could hold physically but it was worse than I feared. In 07' we beat Nigeria in extra time (quarterfinals too) because that team had an incredible physical condition, I missed that from this team.

I'm still iffy on Cuevas. He has the potential to be great (Castillo and Henriquez too imo) but I think needs to play for the right team or manager to fully develop. If he stays in Chile for too long or goes to an european team only to not play meaningful minutes, he's gonna get lost in the shuffle like Matias Campos Toro.

Tbf that Chile u20 team in 2007 had loads of talent so it's harsh to compare the current group to them.

Cuevas signed for Chelsea in February breh, you know I didn't single him out for no reason now :smugbiden:

530742_139694579523292_532575236_n.jpg

Probably a few loans for the first 2-3 years, maybe to Vitesse in Holland who get a few Chelsea players every season (3 last year, 2 confirmed already for next season).

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Tbf that Chile u20 team in 2007 had loads of talent so it's harsh to compare the current group to them.

Cuevas signed for Chelsea in February breh, you know I didn't single him out for no reason now :smugbiden:

Probably a few loans for the first 2-3 years, maybe to Vitesse in Holland who get a few Chelsea players every season (3 last year, 2 confirmed already for next season).

dikkriding the Utd Chilean movement :scusthov:

Shamelessly.

Angelo is the only one that matters :noah:

He'll be scoring shytty poachers goals at the Bridge in no time :blessed:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile

Didn't know he was leaving after this tournament :ohhh: Thought he was going to stay at least all of 2013. Good to know :obama:

And yeah, hopefully he ends up in a team that helps him develop. He's 2-3 years away to be major european league level ready.

dikkriding the Utd Chilean movement :scusthov:

Shamelessly.

Angelo is the only one that matters :noah:

He'll be scoring shytty poachers goals at the Bridge in no time :blessed:

:blessed:

I'm still pissed you guys took him from us so early, we coulda won 4 in a row and maybe repeat Copa Sudamericana :sadbron: