Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
you are blaming Edu for not offering a transfer fee that Napoli would have rejected
ADL was accepting €65M for Osimhen. That’s £55M. Arsenal sold Eddie is going for £30M, it’s not like the money is an issue. Essentially £25M to upgrade Eddie.

and contract terms that Osimhen would have laughed at?
Osimhen is on £300k/week and it was reported he’d take a bit of a paycut for PSG, but not a 50% like Chelsea was offering.

That’s why I said Edu could have done £200k/a week + tack on some incentives. I mean y’all paying Ode, Kai, Jesus, Rice £240K+ a week.

Osimhen has said many times he wants to play in the Prem. I think he takes you over the line.

SubZeroDegrees

50 shots in the blender.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nawlins
That's what everybody has been saying for 4 straight seasons..and sure they might in the first half of the season...but HIGHLY unlikely in the second half,where it actually matters
As long Arsenal is in range of City at the turn of the calendar, that's all matter. Above City in 2023. Behind City 2024.

Conjiggle

Pro
Daps
ADL was accepting €65M for Osimhen. That’s £55M. Arsenal sold Eddie is going for £30M, it’s not like the money is an issue. Essentially £25M to upgrade Eddie.

Osimhen is on £300k/week and it was reported he’d take a bit of a paycut for PSG, but not a 50% like Chelsea was offering.

That’s why I said Edu could have done £200k/a week + tack on some incentives. I mean y’all paying Ode, Kai, Jesus, Rice £240K+ a week.

Osimhen has said many times he wants to play in the Prem. I think he takes you over the line.
You do realize that the it has been reported Napoli kept changing terms with the Saudi club and that is why the transfer fell through, right? £55 mil was never enough to get Osimhen.

33% reduction in weekly wages isnt Taking “a bit of a pay cut”.

Osimhen is good, but not the hyped up “world class striker” some people seem to believe. Same with Toney and Gyokeres or whatever his name is.

There is a reason none of them moved to a top club despite waiting around all summer.

I guarantee their names won’t be mentioned next summer transfer window and it will be some other overhyped player that 99% of the fanbase has never watched play that will be deemed “he is perfect and exactly what we need to win the league.”

I’m good. I trust Edu and Arteta.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Keep saying it, Edu should have pushed the boat out for Osimhen, especially this week where Napoli were desperate for a sale.

£55M for a transfer fee, put him on £200K/wk then add some incentives and bonuses and he’d have been here.

No chance in hell Osimhen would ever accept 200K a week.

At some point you have to look at the whole project and trust that Edu knows what he's doing. He watched the Osimhen tape, and saw fugazi. You move on.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
You do realize that the it has been reported Napoli kept changing terms with the Saudi club and that is why the transfer fell through, right? £55 mil was never enough to get Osimhen.
Fair, we can agree on that. ADL is hard nose.

Osimhen is good, but not the hyped up “world class striker” some people seem to believe. Same with Toney and Gyokeres or whatever his name is.
Is he better than the option Arsenal currently has at striker, yes. He’s shown that with service, he’ll bang goals consistently. That is what Arsenal need. It’s a game of fine margins.

You could be looking at that chance Kai missed today as the 2pts needed to take you over the line at the end of the season. Still, early days.

There is a reason none of them moved to a top club despite waiting around all summer.
Disagree here. The demand for a top striker simply changed this summer. All the big clubs that needed a striker before (and could afford it) are sorted.

Man U - Holjand
Real Madrid - Mbappe
Bayern - Kane
Barca - Lewa plus they’re broke
Pool - Sorted with Jota and Nunez, need reinforcements at the back and MF
PSG - Spent 90M on Muani and still have Ramos
Dortmund - Can’t afford him
City - Haaland
Chelsea - Restructuring their wage structure

But aye, if Arteta wins the league with this squad, I’ll eat my crow. No issues admitting when I’m wrong. :manny:

Conjiggle

Pro
Daps
Fair, we can agree on that. ADL is hard nose.

Is he better than the option Arsenal currently has at striker, yes. He’s shown that with service, he’ll bang goals consistently. That is what Arsenal need. It’s a game of fine margins.

You could be looking at that chance Kai missed today as the 2pts needed to take you over the line at the end of the season. Still, early days.

Disagree here. The demand for a top striker simply changed this summer. All the big clubs that needed a striker before (and could afford it) are sorted.

Man U - Holjand
Real Madrid - Mbappe
Bayern - Kane
Barca - Lewa plus they’re broke
Pool - Sorted with Jota and Nunez, need reinforcements at the back and MF
PSG - Spent 90M on Muani and still have Ramos
Dortmund - Can’t afford him
City - Haaland
Chelsea - Restructuring their wage structure

But aye, if Arteta wins the league with this squad, I’ll eat my crow. No issues admitting when I’m wrong. :manny:
I was with you until the last part. Can we agree that one of, if not, the hardest position to fill on a team is a top/world class striker? They are rare. Few and far between.

If we can agree on that, then why would any top team pass on the opportunity to sign this supposed world class striker for 50% of his value and wages?

From the list of teams you mentioned:
Man U - Font have a world class striker

Barcelona - has never let the fact that they are currently broke stop them from signing a player

Liverpool - Are you saying that it is smart business passing on this supposed world class striker in favor of Jota and Nunez???

PSG - They expressed interest for most of the summer but ultimately backed away. I wonder why. Surely they would have happily paid him 50% of his current wage and paid the £55 mil fee you mentioned Napoli would happily accept.

City - Kings of “two world class players in each position” decided to go with no backup striker instead of getting Osimhen…

Chelsea - The team that has spent over £1 billion on nonsense transfers over the last 2 years weren’t willing to pay the asking fee.

Either they are all crazy, or, just maybe these directors and scouts know more than us casual fans do.