Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I need us to settle this once and for all:

Is the way the English FA schedules games the reason why English teams sometimes struggle in Europe?

Are English teams too fatigued from Prem, FA Cup and LC to not go far in Europe?

Is that why it’s difficult for English teams to win the league and UCL in the same season?

Of the past 7 English UCL winners, only 3x did they also win the league in the same season (Utd 2x, City 1x)

:patrice:

I won't mention the League Cup as I'm sure someone already has. But I've been saying to bin it for years and go to an 18 team league for a long time now. The players are being killed.

The PL is a bloodbath. You think you can play at the pace and intensity week in week out for 30 weeks of the year and keep at the same level? Also there's a reason why no team but Real have retained the CL since the 1990. And they didnt really challenge for the league in 2 of the 3 seasons. Unless you're managing your effort doing both CL and PL and/or b2b is hard when going at full tilt. Casemiro legs went after 1 year of PL football.

All the foreign players say how tough the PL teams are even the shyt ones. You dont see foreigners from other leagues talk about how tough the lower table teams are. Just look at the games since the last international window. Real had like 10 days off before they played Citeh in the first leg. Citeh have played 4 League games + 2 Real games. Real have only played 4 games that's including both legs vs Citeh.

Bayern have nothing to play for so they can manage their efforts.

Last edited:

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Madrid had 9 days rest before the frst leg vs City compared to City who had 3. Not to mention the way their league has been built (top two teams make most of the broadcast money) there is a natural imbalance where they can rotate more during the season without much of a performance drop.

So yeah English teams usually have more money to spend and can build bigger squads, but you are always gonna have a best XI and maybe 3 other guys who you can play without consequence but fewer games, better weather usually wins out. And the best players in the world usually don't want to be rotated.

But also what alot of people dont realize is the difference in refereeing in champions league games. Saliba wins most of his duels in England, vs Bayern he lost the most duels and gave away a pen(Michael Oliver would never allow such a thing! Especially at the Emirates). The physical style of England gets punished by the refs in some games and most times the teams can't adjust to it.

At the end of the day it's XI highly trained players vs each other, I don't think any region dominates because their league is better. Alot of luck comes into play. If Bernardo picks a side of goal to shoot at we probably don't even have this conversation.

You’re capable of a good post
james-brown.gif

:lolbron:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Some good posts in here but I'm not buying what you are selling. City should be able to rest guys and still beat Luton and Burnley and nearly half of the teams they play with the players they have on the bench.... and they do the same with the FA Cup when they do rest guys...

JDH

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Lol @ 1:20 young romario toting iron in Rio :bustback:

Brazilian lifestyle and attitude towards life seem so chill

nahnah

Superstar
Daps
I know united aren't in a good place but to appoint Lee Mack as the new technical director is some move.