Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I need us to settle this once and for all:

Is the way the English FA schedules games the reason why English teams sometimes struggle in Europe?

Are English teams too fatigued from Prem, FA Cup and LC to not go far in Europe?

Is that why it’s difficult for English teams to win the league and UCL in the same season?

Of the past 7 English UCL winners, only 3x did they also win the league in the same season (Utd 2x, City 1x)

:patrice:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK

Is the way the English FA schedules games the reason why English teams sometimes struggle in Europe?

Are English teams too fatigued from Prem, FA Cup and LC to not go far in Europe?

Is that why it’s difficult for English teams to win the league and UCL in the same season?

Of the past 7 English UCL winners, only 3x did they also win the league in the same season (Utd 2x, City 1x)

England is the only league of the big 5 that has 2 cup competitions, doesn’t have a winter and has the shortest summer break. I’m not gonna blame this season‘s shortcomings solely on fatigue because I believe Arsenal shyt the bed at the Emirates but it definitely does play a factor :manny:

Daps
Reppin
NYC

Timestamped. 40:13

Neville is the funniest guy in the room and he doesn't even know it. Always has to remind everyone of his title wins, insecure as hell, and Trent's reaction was priceless.

Hey Gary, what did you have for breakfast?

...yeah so back then it was me, Keano, Giggsy and the lot, we had about 9 titles behind us and just lifted our 7th premiere league....raisin bran.

:mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

The EFL Cup is garbage, I don't care what anyone says. Yes, I watch when it gets down to the final but does anyone truly care about it?

By the way, I don't think that's the answer for the shortcomings because most of the big clubs rest guys during the EFL Cup and the early stages of the FA Cup. Teams like City for example have more talent on their bench than most first teams do overall.... It's a cop out in my view..

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps

Madrid had 9 days rest before the frst leg vs City compared to City who had 3. Not to mention the way their league has been built (top two teams make most of the broadcast money) there is a natural imbalance where they can rotate more during the season without much of a performance drop.

So yeah English teams usually have more money to spend and can build bigger squads, but you are always gonna have a best XI and maybe 3 other guys who you can play without consequence but fewer games, better weather usually wins out. And the best players in the world usually don't want to be rotated.

But also what alot of people dont realize is the difference in refereeing in champions league games. Saliba wins most of his duels in England, vs Bayern he lost the most duels and gave away a pen(Michael Oliver would never allow such a thing! Especially at the Emirates). The physical style of England gets punished by the refs in some games and most times the teams can't adjust to it.

At the end of the day it's XI highly trained players vs each other, I don't think any region dominates because their league is better. Alot of luck comes into play. If Bernardo picks a side of goal to shoot at we probably don't even have this conversation.