Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
Seems galatasary dominated most of the game but Bayern just made it 2-1. Infact 3-1 now

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Seems galatasary dominated most of the game but Bayern just made it 2-1. Infact 3-1 now

(german fussball) 'eritage
mourinho.png

:picard:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Lyon always had the strategy of buying low sell high. The Michel Bastos/Gourcuff era is when it started to decline fall off. That's when they started to push/look for CL or to get to the semis and beyond. So they started paying higher and then that failed and that's when they were having money issues because they over spent. Even in Benzema last season they were spending more than what they were bringing in on sales.

It's funny Aulas took them to the promise land and stayed there long enough to become the Villain. I knew Lyon were phucked when they had to sell Martial for 5m to Monaco because Gomis wouldn't leave. And thats a decade ago. Which in a way is kinda poetic justice because Aulas would openly say he was all about ripping off PL teams.

To not even get a metro card for Aouar is criminal considering it made it obvious he wanted to move on like 3 years before he did leave
I would not say it was always their strategy more that Aulas was a bit cheap and was content on pillaging Ligue 1 as Lyon was a dominant force like Bayern in the BuLi.

Also he had good relations with a couple of other L1 presidents who were more than happy selling to him for above average french market price to do so (Lille mostly). Even though at times he could splash some cash like when he got Anderson from Barça

But once they started losing some of their key players (Abi, Essien, Diarra, Malouda etc.) and needed results asap in the CL then Aulas had to stop penny pinching.

Their peak was indeed the Juni/Diarra/Essien midfield so you could say they started declining after then. A shame Benzema plew up when that midfield was over because he was their missing piece.

I would say up until Genesio, they were still quite good and their academy gave them some good gems (the QF they won against City was mostly with homegrown players if i recall right).

But since then, sheesh. Also their budget needs them to qualify for a the Europa League at least which means if they don't they will likely need to sell assets asap. Cherki will probably leave for peanuts smh.