Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
No, I'm not relying on stats. As far as I recall Zidane was fairly inconsistent and would often go missing. I remember those Juve teams getting spanked in Europe, especially vividly those Hamburg matches.

Somehow those five Madrid years propelled him into GOAT status.
Juve getting spanked doesn't mean he wasn't playing well at Juve. Why would Real pay a world record fee for him then if he was? How was he in Balon d'Or contention at Juve? All the individual accolades he was up for at Juve before he got to Madrid.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
No, I'm not relying on stats. As far as I recall Zidane was fairly inconsistent early on and would often go missing. I remember those Juve teams getting spanked in Europe, especially vividly those Hamburg matches.

Somehow those five Madrid years propelled him into GOAT status.

:hubie:

and then in 2006 as well ...

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Juve getting spanked doesn't mean he wasn't playing well at Juve. Why would Real pay a world record fee for him then if he was? How was he in Balon d'Or contention at Juve? All the individual accolades he was up for at Juve before he got to Madrid.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying he was trash :hubie: he was an amazing player.

I might be coming off overly dismissive because I'm judging him based on GOAT standard where he is often placed.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying he was trash :hubie: he was an amazing player.

I might be coming off overly dismissive because I'm judging him based on GOAT standard where he is often placed.
I'll accept that. I just think people are overly harsh on him because he hasn't got the stats. I watched enough of him particularly from the 96 UCL semi final against Ajax. That's when I started paying close attention to him. And even in games he hasn't been impactful he still did things that take your breath away. Add to the fact he was a big game player. And how he completely dominated the 2006 world cup.

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Am I imagining it but didn't Declan Rice sign a 6 year deal or so at West ham?
They did offer him an 8-year contract recently but he rejected it.

Come the summer he has 1 year left with an option of a further year, so basically 2. They'll 100% sell him this summer because a year later his value plummets.

Chelsea probably. :manny:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK

He's not GOAT tier and tbh on that image the GOAT tier is far too bloated.

GOAT tier is(no order, but we know it's Messi)

Pele
Messi
Maradona
C. Ronaldo

(Look I hate Ronaldo more than probably anyone here but the idea he's second tier there is insanity :dead: )

Then under that your tiers are much bigger.

Zidane is at the VERY top of the 'god tier' on par with a bunch of others.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
He's not GOAT tier and tbh on that image the GOAT tier is far too bloated.

GOAT tier is(no order, but we know it's Messi)

Pele
Messi
Maradona
C. Ronaldo

(Look I hate Ronaldo more than probably anyone here but the idea he's second tier there is insanity :dead: )

Then under that your tiers are much bigger.

Zidane is at the VERY top of the 'god tier' on par with a bunch of others.
I agree with this.