Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
So, for us TAS diaspora, can we claim any African team ancestry tells us we have in us?

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
I am a little late to this but I was thinking about how Carragher said that the Liverpool - Man City rivalry at the moment is the best title rivalry in English football history. I mean he's not wrong in terms of those two sides being the best ever English teams over a long-term period. So the football quality of the rivalry is the best. But that's not the best yardstick in my view because you have to take into account how dominant English football is as a whole at the moment, financially. The Arsenal - Man United rivalry wasn't as good in football quality because the Premier League was not the dominant league in the world, financially. Italy and Spain had all the biggest stars in the 90s and 00s. England only won two European titles out of a possible 26 between readmission to Uefa competitions in 1991 and the end of the Arsenal - Man United rivalry in 2004, Chelsea with the Uefa Cup in 1997 and United with the CL in 1999. That was the same time that the Arsenal - Man United rivalry was at its fiercest. The Italian and Spanish teams were just a lot better than the English teams and attracted all the best players, so of course the football quality of Arsenal - Man United wasn't as good.

Compared to the last five years in which the Liverpool - Man City rivalry has taken off, English clubs have won four out of a possible eight European titles, and there have been two all-English finals as well. Italy and Spain can no longer compete with the PL financially and with attracting the best players. So of course the current PL rivalry is going to be the best in terms of quality, because for once they've got most of the best players in the world.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
and there have been two all-English finals as well

:picard:

there is a reason why same country fiinals were rarer before .. HINT: only one team per country was in the comp most of the time

I mean he's not wrong in terms of those two sides being the best ever English teams over a long-term period.

:francis::snoop::picard:

liverpool in the early 80's ...

english clubs in the late 70's to early 80's ...

this is your "best ever" in europe's top comp ...

now ..

Screenshot-2022-04-16-at-07-03-56.png

and this is the late 70's early 80's - with 6 english wins in a row .. 7 wins out of 8 and we know what happened in 85 which stopped Liverpool playing properly.

Screenshot-2022-04-16-at-07-03-44.png

the best winning percentage manager/team over an extended period ever in english football was .. Bob Paisley/Liverpool..

"He went on to lead Liverpool through a period of domestic and European dominance, winning twenty honours in nine seasons:"
Bob Paisley - Wikipedia

this is what he won in around a decade.

Screenshot-2022-04-16-at-07-17-47.png

over an 8 year period he won 5 leagues, 3 european cups (retaining it once), 1 eufa cup and 3 league cups (in a row)

pep and klopp are good but they are NOT going to do anything as good as that.

pep is still struggling with his first champions league win after 5/6 years ..

coli hot-takes :wow:

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
:picard:

there is a reason why same country fiinals were rarer before .. HINT: only one team per country was in the comp most of the time

:francis::snoop::picard:

liverpool in the early 80's ...

english clubs in the late 70's to early 80's ...

this is your "best ever" in europe's top comp ...

now ..

Screenshot-2022-04-16-at-07-03-56.png

and this is the late 70's early 80's - with 6 english wins in a row .. 7 wins out of 8 and we know what happened in 85 which stopped Liverpool playing properly.

Screenshot-2022-04-16-at-07-03-44.png

the best winning percentage manager/team over an extended period ever in english football was .. Bob Paisley/Liverpool..

"He went on to lead Liverpool through a period of domestic and European dominance, winning twenty honours in nine seasons:"
Bob Paisley - Wikipedia

this is what he won in around a decade.

Screenshot-2022-04-16-at-07-17-47.png

over an 8 year period he won 5 leagues, 3 european cups (retaining it once), 1 eufa cup and 3 league cups (in a row)

pep and klopp are good but they are NOT going to do anything as good as that.

pep is still struggling with his first champions league win after 5/6 years ..

coli hot-takes :wow:

I appreciate your research. I'm sorry. Don't take it as a Coli hot take. It's the media, it's Sky. The whole ecosystem of football pretends like it was invented in 1992, so that's why we see stuff like this and believe it

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I appreciate your research. I'm sorry. Don't take it as a Coli hot take. It's the media, it's Sky. The whole ecosystem of football pretends like it was invented in 1992, so that's why we see stuff like this and believe it

it's not "research".

if you pass comment (read: pronouncements) on football you need to know these things. everyone and their dog (even Ty) knows that arsenal had their glory days in the 30's (chapman), spurs in the 60's, man utd initially in the 60's etc. those are major events and periods in football.

you don't see me (the brit) in the american football and basketball threads making pronouncements because i don't know those sports well.

yet in here (sometimes ...) :picard: hot-takes ... :wow:

in the F1 thread too tho :wow:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

@Kunty McPhuck @Piffiztheanswer :gucci: what’s wrong with some people?

He's right. I'll throw Pioli in the bushes as soon as someone better is available. :manny: Pioli season/year 3 mode is kicking in. Happened at Fiorentina and Lazio. And those are the only teams he's stayed long enough. He's a good football man but there's levels too this shyt. Yeah you can argue well he wasnt backed in January window the club is on a budget. Cannot have both ways after all the club has been pretty much been financially mismanaged for majority of the 21st century.

The football has been utter shyt pretty much for the past 6 weeks or so. Or however long @SCORCH been stalking Leao for. :mjpls: