Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
The equal pay stuff?
Yea

Leeds I can see. Everton nah, they’ll stay up. The loss of Bamford was big to Leeds. As were other injuries.

But what’s the word on sponsors pressing the USSF, why did they care? What other issues are / were there that you know of?

I’m all for equal pay for equal work / proportional to income, but some efforts are actually asking for a subsidy from one side of the house.

The AU Open has the same purse for men and women but women play the best of 3 sets compared to men best of 5.

That isn’t quite equal work :hubie:
Tennis is different. I think women tennis players when Williams sisters were at the top of their game was bringing in a lot ratings/money via sponsorship.

US soccer man benefits from international tournament where top world soccer players are playing so they get bigger money bc the mens game is way more valuable. It’s sucks that US women soccer is exceptional at thei job and the womens game is not as valuable but business is business.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Mané with at least 10 goals in the Prem the last 8 seasons. Consistent

Also, I peeped when Salah scored his 2nd PK. When Mané came to congratulate him, Salah's face went serious AF, still salty from that AFCON final :pachaha:

USSF Could Face Issue As Sponsors Sided With USWNT In Lawsuit

USSF is sloppy and begging for the Feds to come in. Since everything is in one pot and the men have been basura for a decade now, it made their case easier. Especially with the women winning the World Cup.

:ohhh: So if I understand this right, the sponsorship dollars the USSF received they placed in one pot and allocated to both the Men's and Women's as they saw fit, rather than asking for both women's and men's sponsorship dollars. Yea that's messy.

Tbf to the USSF argument, the quality of play in the Men's WC is far far higher than the Women's WC. I remember Thailand getting blown out 13-0 by the USWMNT last WWC. I think like half of the Thai players were like semi-pros.

I highly doubt you'll find a single player in the Men's WC that isn't a full time pro (maybe Iceland, maybe).

It is what it is.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Tennis is different. I think women tennis players when Williams sisters were at the top of their game was bringing in a lot ratings/money via sponsorship.

US soccer man benefits from international tournament where top world soccer players are playing so they get bigger money bc the mens game is way more valuable. It’s sucks that US women soccer is exceptional at thei job and the womens game is not as valuable but business is business.

Pretty much this is how I've seen the whole situation.

Most of us in here would not go to a women's WC game on our own accord unless it's a social event or tickets are cheap :hubie:
Even women don't really value their own game like that :hubie:

But if I talk too much they'll say I'm misogynist :hubie:

Tennis players are paid by hourly rates?

Nah, they play when they win. The winnings for the winner in the AU Open for both men's and women's is the same, but technically, Men do more work in that they play more sets than women for the same pot.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV

They need to protect David Neres and the rest of the Brazilians at Shakhtar at all costs :damn:

The way Neres dropped at Ajax is outstanding. Antony straight up replaced him as the skillful Brazilian :pachaha:

Neres is still a Copa America winner and 2-time Dutch Champion :yeshrug:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Nah, they play when they win. The winnings for the winner in the AU Open for both men's and women's is the same, but technically, Men do more work in that they play more sets than women for the same pot.
So you think tennis players are paid based on sets or hourly rates.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
they're paid via tournament prize money, appearances, sponsorships, bonuses, & exhibitions
I’m aware, which is why the “more sets” argument is doofy.

If you want to say men tennis players bring in more sponsors, ticket sales, etc for the grand slams then fine. I’m not sure that’s been true since the 90s.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
they're paid via tournament prize money, appearances, sponsorships, bonuses, & exhibitions

If you want to say men tennis players bring in more sponsors, ticket sales, etc for the grand slams then fine. I’m not sure that’s been true since the 90s.

I stand corrected.

Dap + Rep, I always say. You learn something else every day.

Tennis might be different since the tourneys are "one" unlike the WC that has a separate tourney for men's and women. Citi Open in DC be lit tho

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
I’m aware, which is why the “more sets” argument is doofy.

yea I remember the head(?) of the ATP got in trouble some years ago by saying the Williams sisters should thank Federer & Nadal for making the tour as much money as it did/does

so while the Williams are big draws here in the US...there's no woman drawing bigger crowds/tv audiences/sponsors than the Big 3

and even in general, the men will draw more...but there isn't really a big star in the sport right now besides the Big 3 (Federer/Nadal/Novak) & the Williams sisters...so now is as good a time for the women to make the play for equal pay, and actually get it.

edit - forgot to add Osaka as a current star

Last edited:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
FMUJH6SXsAcnUQj

:dead: