Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Wow, I'm very very impressed with what Pellegrini has done with Betis. SF in the CDR with only Valencia, Bilbao and Rayo left and 3rd in La Liga.

Betis should comfortably feel this could their year for the CDR and UCL football for next season.

:hubie:
I was wrong. sure seems like it though

You were right. I think N. African teams tend to have better GKs, either that or Black African teams just don't practice enough.

I know CIV doesn't lol

there goes Ancellotti overplaying Modric, Casamero and Kroos again

even if they get past PSG, they are going to be too burnt out against other teams

Bilbao at the San Mames in the CDR is always a tough task. Bilbao always plays Real and Barca like it's a cup final. Only 3 La Liga clubs to never have been relegated.

I think Egypt are gonna get their 8th AFCON title.

Nah, I think Senegal has this. Egypt haven't really played much this tourney, 2 0-0 KO matches that they won on PKs.

And Senegal is finding their goal-scoring form at the right time and they've still been tough to score against.

Daps

shaq-smh.gif

LOL

Bukayo Sako looks like every babyfaced West African dude ever. LOL

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Pellegrini working magic with Betis.
I always enjoy the copa del rey when all the big teams are out.

:ehh:

If Betis pick up the CDR and UCL football then that's some amazing achievement from Pelligrini and Betis.

I'm pulling for Valencia to win it though. I think Bilbao will be the most energized for this. Lost 2 years ago to their Basque rivals La Real. Got smashed by Barca last year in the clash of the most two winning CDR champs. This is their year for redepmtion. Also, Marcelino could win the CDR with two different clubs.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Egypt’s penalty record in AFCON has to be something outrageous like 35-0

6-0 in PK Shootouts at AFCON.

North African teams definitely prepare for PKs better than Black African teams, their record below shows this. The Cameroonian PKs from yesterday tell me that aspect of the game was likely overlooked.

Even before our match with Tunisia, Eguavoen said that was one thing the Eagles would practice well.

AFCON 2021 2-0 to N. Africans (Egypt against CIV and Cameroon, CIV is terrible at penalties so it is what it is)
AFCON 2019: 2-1 to N.Africans (Benin beat Morocco, Tunisia beat Ghana, Algeria beat CIV)
AFCON 2017: 1-0 to N. African (Egypt beat B.Faso)
AFCON 2006: 1-1 (Nigeria beat Tunisia, Egypt beat CIV in the final)
AFCON 2004: 1-0 to N. Africans (Tunisia beat Nigeria)
AFCON 2000: 1-0 to "Black African" (S.Africa beat Tunisia)

So in the past 20 years, of the 10 matches decided by PKs in the KO rounds, N. African teams have won 7 out of 10 times compared to Black African teams.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/eguavoen-amuneke-to-takeover-super-eagles/

Eguavoen looks to be staying on. We're scrapping plans for Jose P.

I think on the balance of things, it's the right decision. Our AFCON exit was tragic but I'll say the red card which was harsh, definitely added to it. Tactics-wise, Eguavoen might have been a little too reactive, but he's far better than Rohr was when it came to subs. The Kelechi for Iwobi was actually the right decision to get us more bodies in the midfield and someone to link up with Taiwo, the red card just messed things up.

I think a Super Eagles at full strength (Etebo, Victor, Lookman) would have had a different tourney, but that's in the past.

We've seen the difference in play in just a month since he took over on an interim basis. WCQ we'll be at full strength and if that's the case, I think we have enough to edge out Ghana.

@Ukbrotha @Roberto Firmino @TobiOT

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
6-0 in PK Shootouts at AFCON.

North African teams definitely prepare for PKs better than Black African teams, their record below shows this. The Cameroonian PKs from yesterday tell me that aspect of the game was likely overlooked.

Even before our match with Tunisia, Eguavoen said that was one thing the Eagles would practice well.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/eguavoen-amuneke-to-takeover-super-eagles/

Eguavoen looks to be staying on. We're scrapping plans for Jose P.

I think on the balance of things, it's the right decision. Our AFCON exit was tragic but I'll say the red card which was harsh, definitely added to it. Tactics-wise, Eguavoen might have been a little too reactive, but he's far better than Rohr was when it came to subs. The Kelechi for Iwobi was actually the right decision to get us more bodies in the midfield and someone to link up with Taiwo, the red card just messed things up.

I think a Super Eagles at full strength (Etebo, Victor, Lookman) would have had a different tourney, but that's in the past.

We've seen the difference in play in just a month since he took over on an interim basis. WCQ we'll be at full strength and if that's the case, I think we have enough to edge out Ghana.

@Ukbrotha @Roberto Firmino @TobiOT

I’m for it :obama:

He got the groups spot on and we will never know how his changes against Tunisia would have worked out because of that bs red for Alex :snoop:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Athletic Club to face Valencia in Copa semi

CDR SF Draw

Betis vs Rayo
Bilbao vs Valencia

First leg of the 2-legged tie starts next week.

I have Betis in the Finals, but Bilbao vs Valencia is tough to call. Both teams are hard to beat and play some terrorist football but I think I give Los Che the edge as they have more going forward.

So I'm calling a Betis vs Valencia final. Betis to win.