Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Yeah, that’s actually a better way of looking at it. :ehh:

Because you may one day crack the top 4 (the champions league being the elite club filled with dimes). Realistically, you need money to get into that club, but once you do, you start attracting the best.

Leicester almost did it this season but they fell at the final hurdle. Being in Europa is still good (smashing 7-8s) compared to being in the lower league and just smashing fat bytches.

Also, you may be scrapping along with three jobs but you know once in a while, you’ll get to meet some dimes (top clubs) and somehow, if your game is tight enough, you end up smashing (getting the win).

The longer you stay there and sustain and build up a portfolio (buying good players), you can move up the social ladder.

Hey so are people fans of multiple clubs? Let’s say your local club is a perennial middle of the pack League 1 club, do those people also root for a premiere league team or do they just ride with the lower level squad? How low does your local team have to be before it’s ok to root for a big squad as well?

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Hey so are people fans of multiple clubs? Let’s say your local club is a perennial middle of the pack League 1 club, do those people also root for a premiere league team or do they just ride with the lower level squad? How low does your local team have to be before it’s ok to root for a big squad as well?
A lot of these clubs were founded over or close to a century ago. So if you support a club, it’s likely your father and grandfather supported them too. It’s tradition, almost like a religion. It’s frowned upon to support more than one club. It’s even worse if you support a club that is not your local one but they happen to be “successful”.

There are a lot of Man Utd fans who live in London. And they’re called “glory hunters” because they have no connection to the city of Manchester. Kinda like being a Dallas Cowboy fan but coming from NYC. Because the clubs are so deep rooted in history and go back generations with the working class, supporting your local club is more of a community than a business.

That’s why football has lost so much of its soul at the top level. The amount of money thrown around has pushed out a lot of people who can’t afford the extortionate prices these premier league clubs have imposed. Add to the crazy tv packages for the games being shown on cable, only further alienates the grassroots of football.

It’s no coincidence most of the top players/managers in the PL aren’t English but then look at Germany and the inverse is true for the most part.

I honestly prefer watching championship football over the PL. I know in Spain because it’s usually a two horse race, it’s fine to have Barcelona/Madrid as a second team as long as Espanyol/Atlético isn’t your first team respectively.

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
A lot of these clubs were founded over or close to a century ago. So if you support a club, it’s likely your father and grandfather supported them too. It’s tradition, almost like a religion. It’s frowned upon to support more than one club. It’s even worse if you support a club that is not your local one but they happen to be “successful”.

There are a lot of Man Utd fans who live in London. And they’re called “glory hunters” because they have no connection to the city of Manchester. Kinda like being a Dallas Cowboy fan but coming from NYC. Because the clubs are so deep rooted in history and go back generations with the working class, supporting your local club is more of a community than a business.

That’s why football has lost so much of its soul at the top level. The amount of money thrown around has pushed out a lot of people who can’t afford the extortionate prices these premier league clubs have imposed. Add to the crazy tv packages for the games being shown on cable, only further alienates the grassroots of football.

It’s no coincidence most of the top players/managers in the PL aren’t English but then look at Germany and the inverse is true for the most part.

I honestly prefer watching championship football over the PL. I know in Spain because it’s usually a two horse race, it’s fine to have Barcelona/Madrid as a second team as long as Espanyol/Atlético isn’t your first team respectively.

The difference between the NFL though is that if you in NYC even if the Jets lose the next 30 games they still gonna be in the league and on tv. So you wouldn’t have a reason to switch. It would suck if your team fell to some lower level and had no hope of reaching back up so you stuck watching some 4th tier team because the team was good when your grandfather was a kid. It’s gotta be some point where folks know you not gonna exclusively root for this low of a level right?

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
The difference between the NFL though is that if you in NYC even if the Jets lose the next 30 games they still gonna be in the league and on tv. So you wouldn’t have a reason to switch. It would suck if your team fell to some lower level and had no hope of reaching back up so you stuck watching some 4th tier team because the team was good when your grandfather was a kid. It’s gotta be some point where folks know you not gonna exclusively root for this low of a level right?
I think that’s the difference between fans of soccer and fans of NBA/NFL. Being a soccer fan truly tests your resolve and loyalty.

Because as you said, there’s no penalty in football/basketball if your team are perennial losers, apart from becoming memes.

The consequence of supporting a shyt team is that they can constantly slip down the leagues into obscurity. But a true fan supports them through thick and thin. And if that club reaches the promised land again, you were with them every step of the way.

And personally, I think that’s more gratifying than supporting a team that gets lucky with a few trades or lottery picks.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I think that’s the difference between fans of soccer and fans of NBA/NFL. Being a soccer fan truly tests your resolve and loyalty.

Because as you said, there’s no penalty in football/basketball if your team are perennial losers, apart from becoming memes.

The consequence of supporting a shyt team is that they can constantly slip down the leagues into obscurity. But a true fan supports them through thick and thin. And if that club reaches the promised land again, you were with them every step of the way.

And personally, I think that’s more gratifying than supporting a team that gets lucky with a few trades or lottery picks.

Where would you say the divide lies? If my local team is in League Two then it’s expected I stick with them? What if they are in National League South? Are those games even on tv around the country?

Also at what level is it common for the team to have their own stadium? Its 92 teams in the top 4 levels, they all have their own stadium?

Last edited:

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Where would you say the divide lies? If my local team is in League Two then it’s expected I stick with them? What if they are in National League South? Are those games even on tv around the country?
That’s why you go to every game to support them. Ticket prices tend to correlate with a club’s league position. At worst, they should be frozen. Just because they’re not on tv, it doesn’t mean you can’t watch them play.

And that’s why the lower league teams have been hit worst by COVID. Their main revenue has been from tickets being sold for games. They don’t have TV money to fall back on.

And that’s why the FA Cup is such a great competition. Part time footballers have a chance to play against the superstars of the PL. Even better if it’s away at their ground.

And what’s better than if you’re a league 2 team and you make it to the FA Cup final and play in Wembley? Sadly that prestige has rubbed off since the semi-finals are now also played at Wembley (again, greed ruining football)… but it’s still a capable dream.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
That’s why you go to every game to support them. Ticket prices tend to correlate with a club’s league position. At worst, they should be frozen. Just because they’re not on tv, it doesn’t mean you can’t watch them play.

And that’s why the lower league teams have been hit worst by COVID. Their main revenue has been from tickets being sold for games. They don’t have TV money to fall back on.

And that’s why the FA Cup is such a great competition. Part time footballers have a chance to play against the superstars of the PL. Even better if it’s away at their ground.

And what’s better than if you’re a league 2 team and you make it to the FA Cup final and play in Wembley? Sadly that prestige has rubbed off since the semi-finals are now also played at Wembley (again, greed ruining football)… but it’s still a capable dream.

You just said something though. Part timers. Bruh you telling me that because of where I’m born I could be out here being expected to root for a team made up of part timers with no tv deal and my friend a couple miles away is rooting for Chelsea? Hell naw!

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
You just said something though. Part timers. Bruh you telling me that because of where I’m born I could be out here being expected to root for a team made up of part timers with no tv deal and my friend a couple miles away is rooting for Chelsea? Hell naw!
Like I said, it’s tradition. If your family have supported the same team for generations, no one said you have to support them but it’ll make you the odd one out if you don’t.

As I said, plenty of people support teams that they have no connection to, either geographically or via their family. Again, it’s an expectation but plenty of people don’t follow it, even if they are ridiculed.

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
Wtf is that lineup? :mjlol:
Sterling? No DM?
We’re either going to be singing about Peps genius, or having another discussion about how he fukked it up with his silly selections

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
I said in this thread before, City winning or losing a UCL final will be down to Sterling. That was like 3 years ago :francis:
He’s either Messi today or he’s shytting the bed completely. No in between