Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
EzfX1x1X0AEWhcG

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Said it already but new CL format is garbage. Too many games on an already full out schedule that might force leagues to get rid of their league cups. Also even stronger safety net for bigs with that Swiss formula.

However it does also give smaller teams more CL games and therefore more TV and home game revenue. Telling that ESL was worse.

What I take from this whole fiasco is that there has to have some new EU regulation for pro clubs that they should be 51% owned by their fans à la Bundesliga.

That wouldnt fix the unfairness of bigger clubs (see Bayern or BVB) but at least would prevent ownership from being totally disconnected from its base.

I'll get rid of the League Cup in a heartbeat. Pointless competition that is eating up potential midweek league fixtures which could give the players a winter break after the Christmas and New Year FA Cup 3rd round fixtures. At best they will just allow the teams in Europe to not be involved and it gives other teams a chance to win a trophy.

Gangstar8

Superstar
Daps
Pure greed from the English?

Barcelona and Real Madrid suffocate the rest of La Liga with TV right deals, reducing the quality of the overall product. To make matters worse, they are out here spending €100 million + on the likes of Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann, €1 million + a week on Ronaldo and Messi's wages.

They've been burning through cash and borrowing from banks with reckless abandon for a decade to satisfy their vanity just so they can say they have the best players in the world. Just two days ago, Florentino was talking about buying Mbappe.

Premier League on the other hand is a lot more frugal in terms of their spending and have an equitable distribution of TV money, therefore making the overall product a lot stronger and financially stable.

For years Barca and Real Madrid shat on PL clubs, bragging about having the best players in world and being able to cherry pick any Premier League player they wanted (Courtois, Suarez, Hazard, Coutinho, Ronaldo, Mascherano, Alonso, Modric, Bale)

They didn't care what it cost to be in that position. but now that the chips are falling down, Premier League clubs are greedy for not wanting to allow the Spanish Clubs to leverage off their appeal? :mjtf:

Its easy for two spanish teams to get the best players because everybody grows up wanting to play for them. Its like playing for the laker. Especially the kids from South Amerrica, africa and majority of Europe.

Nobody grows up wanting to play for English teams. They are wack. Maybe man utd even they arent as attractive anymore.

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
Its easy for two spanish teams to get the best players because everybody grows up wanting to play for them. Its like playing for the laker. Especially the kids from South Amerrica, africa and majority of Europe.

Nobody grows up wanting to play for English teams. They are wack. Maybe man utd even they arent as attractive anymore.
Plenty people grow up wanting to play for us or the Mancs :dahell:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
I'll get rid of the League Cup in a heartbeat. Pointless competition that is eating up potential midweek league fixtures which could give the players a winter break after the Christmas and New Year FA Cup 3rd round fixtures. At best they will just allow the teams in Europe to not be involved and it gives other teams a chance to win a trophy.
Yeah I agree. The national cup should be enough.

However will you guys accept no football in winter ? :lolbron:

Daps

No.. no chance on that
Football over Chistmas and new year is big thing here in England

We sort had a winter break which started last year I think where you had a couple of weeks off in early Feb I think.

But it was done so football continued by giving 10 teams a break first and then when that was over the other 10 teams had their break

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

January is a shyt month. There is about 2-3 league games played at most in the month and everyone is knackered after Christmas and New Year fixtures and the football is generally shyt. Apart from FA Cup 3rd round and transfer window and you don't really get many big moves if any in the winter window it's just one big old lull lol.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It's true in this case though, the American owners copped the most heat from the fans and the biggest grievance fans had was the Americanisation of football. It's different to when Souness accused "Latin types" of being divers etc.
If Johnny Anglo-Saxon owned one of these big clubs and was offers the chance to join the Super League, they would. Spurs is ran by Englishman Dan Levy, and he joined. Don’t be stupid. When Souness talks about proper, he means an English owner would have gotten Sky involved to sell it to the public, unlike these idiots.