Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I really don't think he cares that much.

This obsession with trophies, has become rather silly
Yeah I feel like this obsession is fairly new to soccer or maybe I wasn't paying attention to it.

Trophies/rings equalling greatness is American phenomenon. "Rings Ernie"/Skip Bayless/MJ winning six out of six has been the main talking point for 20 years now that I feel like it's seeping into soccer.

Daps
Regarding the Harry Kane post,
No I dont think there is someone as great as him who has never won a trophy, I do think he likes the personal glory just as much as if he would if it was team glory
I think he would like to win team trophies but he is just as happy winning golden boots and personal trophies
Other good players who never won anything what haven't already been mentioned Clive Allen,scored 49 goals in a season I think, never won anything
Stan Collymore never won anything, but then he never fulfilled his potential
You could include Jermain Defoe in this conversation if we were talking about it 2 weeks ago
I know he has already been mentioned but Le Tissier was the one in the 90's, he was something special, but he was happy being the big fish in the little pond, rather than the other way around

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Yeah I feel like this obsession is fairly new to soccer or maybe I wasn't paying attention to it.

Trophies/rings equalling greatness is American phenomenon. "Rings Ernie"/Skip Bayless/MJ winning six out of six has been the main talking point for 20 years now that I feel like it's seeping into soccer.
Interesting

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

Brian Clough before he died in 2004 use to rinse Fergie about only winning 1 European Cup/CL to his 2.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Interesting

It isn't new. Souness has talked about showing his medals off for years. But as soon as he directed it too Pogba it became a meme.

Show me your medals/put them on the table been around for a long time in English football.

Teddy Sheringham only joined United in his own words due to Spurs lack of ambition.

Last edited:
Daps
who else remembers when La Liga used to avoid scheduling games at the same time as PL games :aicmon:lol

man dont even have a Carlin/EFL Cup to his name :damn:
But he has all his hatrick balls and golden boots
uJBEALH.jpg

But as Ian Wright once said they will all be worthless come the end of his career if he doesn't win anything