Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
West Bromwich Albion have contacted police over an alleged racist message sent to midfielder Romaine Sawyers.

West Brom say an "abhorrent message" was sent to Sawyers on social media during the loss to Manchester City.

They have called for "the toughest available legal punishment" and will ban the individual responsible from The Hawthorns for life.

"There is No Room For Racism. Anywhere. Challenge it, report it, change it," said the Premier League club.

"Albion will offer Romaine the relevant support required at this time and continues with its long-standing commitment to help rid football of racism."

West Brom manager Sam Allardyce said on Friday: "We dealt with it as quickly as we can. It leaves a big question about whether reporting it is enough.

"He is extremely upset, as anybody would be.

"It does become a greater thing to put right. But who does it lie with? Should a player take legal action? Social media sites need to act in a more responsible way. We have to do our best to cut this out."

Sawyers getting it as well.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
How do you police accounts in the hundreds of thousands some of whom are overseas? Sounds like too much for the police to deal with.

I think the social media platforms should step in.. Permenant IP bans and delete the offending messages

But if it's direct messages to the players from real accounts then hell yeah let the police pay them a visit

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
How do you police accounts in the hundreds of thousands some of whom are overseas? Sounds like too much for the police to deal with.

I think the social media platforms should step in.. Permenant IP bans and delete the offending messages

But if it's direct messages to the players from real accounts then hell yeah let the police pay them a visit

I generally agree with most of this. Only thing I worry about is if the shoe is on the other foot. These tech platforms are amassing such large levels of influence so it's critical that we understand how much more power we're willingly giving up to them. It's all well and dandy when it comes to de-platforming someone like Trump, but the precedent should give reason to pause.

While there are clear cut examples of accepted racism, there are cultural nuances where one statement could be seen as "racist" in one society and perfectly fine in another.

Example with that "negrito" thing with Cavani. In Uruguay, from what I've read, that's a term of endearment and has no malice in it. Elsewhere it becomes a different story.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

You cannot ban IP's permanently breh. Most people share public IP's with other people (outside of their household). If it was that simple would ahev done it already.

Even phones have VPN tech built into them these days.

Classically speaking state on the Internet is maintained by cookies but cookies can be deleted.

Delete offending language. Language is always changing. Humans can always alter the text to get their point through any filter breh.