Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Pre Earnie Stewart? Or since he been in the job?

Not 100% sure but of late more and more American players are plying their trade in Europe which benefits the national team. There was a period where USMNT was so gungho about recruiting players from the MLS, which to me made no sense.

The current crop of players are still quite young but if they can continue on this trajectory and have a really good WC showing I think it'd do wonders for the sport stateside. American Football is already falling out of favor for some segments of the population, soccer/football is well poised to over take it.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Atletico and Real both out of the CDR :ohhh:

Hopefully a Sevilla, Villarreal or Bilbao can knock out Barca before the final. I'd love some new blood in the CDR final.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Not 100% sure but of late more and more American players are plying their trade in Europe which benefits the national team. There was a period where USMNT was so gungho about recruiting players from the MLS, which to me made no sense.

The current crop of players are still quite young but if they can continue on this trajectory and have a really good WC showing I think it'd do wonders for the sport stateside. American Football is already falling out of favor for some segments of the population, soccer/football is well poised to over take it.

Of course it didn't make sense. They tried to run it like they do all the other major sports, forgetting that the league isn't up to the level to develop talent properly. If you weren't in America, you are out of sight out of mind. Also social media has helped the development. Instead of trying to force the kids/teens to watch a game, they have more access to to seeing football clips and become intrigued and want to try and replicate the skills they see. Also the networks show more football than ever before and you don't have to wait for a special occasion for football to be on the TV like an international tournament. The 1st-2nd generation children of immigrants, who have a football culture helps much like it has with England over the past decade, more so in the last 5 years and should coke to fruition over the next decade). Mainly Nigeria (which is also the case in the Entertainment industry, music and acting in the UK, Naija is well represented. especially those who have had international success) and Ghana as well.

Last edited:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
The 2nd-3rd generation children of immigrants, who have a football culture helps much like it has with England over the past decade, more so in the last 5 years and should coke to fruition over the next decade). Mainly Nigeria (which is also the case in the Entertainment industry, music and acting in the UK, Naija is well represented. especially those who have had international success) and Ghana as well.

This is kind of my hope too. Nigerian immigrants/2nd gen children use the US' sporting infrastructure to develop their talent but choose Nigeria when it's time for national duty. Not guaranteed to work but it's possible.

One issue is these dual-nationality players often get nation tied for a European country early but don't really go on to feature prominently on the National teams. Fikayo Tomori and Tammy come to mind. Both had a run in Chelsea that got them nods for the 3 Lions but since their first couple of runs in the side, they've been passengers for England.

Tomori could have been a great addition to our back line and Abraham gives us depth at the 9.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
This is kind of my hope too. Nigerian immigrants/2nd gen children use the US' sporting infrastructure to develop their talent but choose Nigeria when it's time for national duty. Not guaranteed to work but it's possible.

If the players don't feel valued outside of the token gesture of can you represent our country. They will go to where they will feel valued and returning sons will get more fanfare, like with Zaha. Also it depends on the relationships they've built with other players in the age groups. Playing with their friends as oppose to strangers.

Take Iwobi, who had to play for Nigeria at senior level. If you're related to JJ, there is no other option, too much lineage.

One issue is these dual-nationality players often get nation tied for a European country early but don't really go on to feature prominently on the National teams. Fikayo Tomori and Tammy come to mind. Both had a run in Chelsea that got them nods for the 3 Lions but since their first couple of runs in the side, they've been passengers for England.

Tomori could have been a great addition to our back line and Abraham gives us depth at the 9.

Tomori has barely played over the last 12 months. IDK if he was injured for a period. But if he isn't playing regular football he is no help to anyone regardless of what flag he decides to rep. He is still a developing player just because CB don't mature till 25-26. And he hasn't had the tutor to guide him thru games.

Tammy, I like his effort and he'll score goals because he takes up good positions. But not a fan overall I think it's his reading of the game, I don't like. As for England when he was picked he probably saw himself as back up to Kane especially when he was scoring at the start of last season. But with Ings back fit and DCL scoring and brings a physical presence to disrupt defenders Tammy down the pecking order for now. That can all change considering Kane and Ings are good for an injury or 2.

The Nigerian FA have to get Eze and Lookman on board. I would like them to play for the England senior team, but there is just too much talent in their positions, where they aren't going to get a fair chance. Which is a bit different in Tomori case, where if he can play regularly and perform he has a chance of cementing a place.

With the World Cup next year I do think Eze and Lookman will pick Naija tbh.

Last edited: