Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth

Its how I feel. Love for Club legends usually clouds sound judgement. I'm not going to pretend because Ole is doing well now with some good results means we're suddenly going to win the league and CL. He's mostly done well but I dont see him making us an elite challenging club for years to come. :yeshrug:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
So that's Giggs, Keane, Rooney, both the Neville brothers, OGS, Carrick, Fletcher

Andy Cole had to get put on by Paul Ince and Sol Campbell at MK Dons and Southend

:martin:

Several of those white players haven’t been involved with United since they left/retired.

So what’s your point? United’s lack of diversity? Because if so you’ve made it poorly given what i said just above.

Or football’s lack of diversity? Because if so 1. Thanks, brand new info. 2. Wtf has darren fletcher becoming a coach at United got to do with overall diversity in football? He’s been coaching our u-16’s and they clearly liked his work and thought he could contribute to the first team squad.

It’s not a case of him being hired over someone black, he wasn’t even ‘hired’ just promoted.

United helped Andy Cole complete his coaching badges, he worked at the club while working towards them(then had a a bad illness where he couldn’t do anything for years) so did Evra. So did Quinton Fortune, who was a coach for our U-23’s and was a regular pundit on MUTV.

Last edited:

Montez

Superstar
Daps

I'm kinda with them on this. No John Barnes.

We all know Latin America has a very weird, complex, and, if you're in America or the UK, shocking view on race. I think it's all about intent and circumstance, I don't think Cavani meant anything derogatory by it.

Several of those white players haven’t been involved with United since they left/retired.

So what’s your point? United’s lack of diversity? Because if so you’ve made it poorly given what i said just above.

Or football’s lack of diversity? Because if so 1. Thanks, brand new info. 2. Wtf has darren fletcher becoming a coach at United got to do with overall diversity in football? He’s been coaching our u-16’s and they clearly liked his work and thought he could contribute to the first team squad.

It’s not a case of him being hired over someone black, he wasn’t even ‘hired’ just promoted.

United helped Andy Cole complete his coaching badges, he worked at the club while working towards them(then had a a bad illness where he couldn’t do anything for years) so did Evra. So did Quinton Fortune, who was a coach for our U-23’s and was a regular pundit on MUTV.

More so to do with a path to management for black and brown players. There isn't really one. Not just at United but in European football. Fletcher isn't the issue but it's interesting how many former white players transition to management pathways so easily compared to their black counterparts. Henry, Vieira, Sol, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Chris Powell are the only players I can remember watching as kids who became managers.

I do think black players don't go after managerial positions because they don't believe there is a path for them. I don't think they all just want to be on Sky Sports or TalkSport. Many of them might not be good but they don't seem to be in the system.

Last edited:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
I'm kinda with them on this. No John Barnes.

We all know Latin America has a very weird, complex, and, if you're in America or the UK, shocking view on race. I think it's all about intent and circumstance, I don't think Cavani meant anything derogatory by it.

More so to do with a path to management for black and brown players. There isn't really one. Not just at United but in European football. Fletcher isn't the issue but it's interesting how many former white players transition to management pathways so easily compared to their black counterparts. Henry, Vieira, Sol, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Chris Powell are the only players I can remember watching as kids who became managers.

I do think black players don't go after managerial positions because they don't believe there is a path for them. I don't think they all just want to be on Sky Sports or TalkSport. Many of them might not be good but they don't seem to be in the system.
I'm in complete agreement about the lack of diversity in coaching across football, there's no argument to be made about it.

That's why, as you mentioned, the lack of a 'pathway' needs to be addressed. People may argue "oh well old black players must not have wanted to be coaches", but it's hard to dedicate your like to chasing after something you think you'll never get. Like, i'm with you.

I just think jumping on every appointment of a white former player to a coaching role and calling it racist sort of dilutes the point.
I just won't have this slander against my beautiful and diverse club:wow:

If there's any issue in this appointment it's whether you think packing the club full of former players is the right way to go(regardless of colour). I happen to not mind it, it was basically Fergie's dream to pack the club full of former players from the directors box right down to the coaching staff, he wanted United to be run like Bayern.

For what it's worth Fletcher is by all accounts meant to be a potentially great coach/student of the game.