Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bu bu but Xhaka has been trusted by 3 managers. We have a good winning percentage when he plays.

You got other managers telling everyone how crap he is:stopitslime:

AFCMikel (@AFCPW) Tweeted:
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "Our organisation could cope, Granit Xhaka coming to the side meant Dennis Praet could press him, but it was about closing the lines, concentrating and then playing through when we had the ball."

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

Reading shaggers quote in full. What he is talking about is more like a SS role then a AM role. It's just easier to say #10 and everyone knows that is playing behind the main striker, without going into actual detail. Long and short, he means what Mane and Salah does.

Giggs, arguably United's greatest ever wideman, believes the 22-year-old can shine in a more central role.

He told the Webby and O'Neill YouTube channel: "In my last game [for Wales] he played more centrally.

"In the game against Ireland he played on the wing, and against Bulgaria away he played more as an inside forward.

"He can do it. The good thing about that is instead of coming up against full-backs he's more or less coming up against centre-halves.

"Centre-halves don't want to be against him.

"Centre-halves don't want to be going out to those wide areas and facing Dan James."

Giggs admits the Welsh starlet needs to be more lethal with his thinking and finishing in the final third of the pitch.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
Vinicius needs to leave madrid, he needs proper development and coaching, Real madrid is for established players not players learning their craft.:yeshrug:

Dortmund, Liverpool, teams like that, where he will play and the coach will actually improve him. Zidane is great but he's like Mou or ancelloti doesn't work well with youth

Last edited:

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Question for you tactics people. Why does everyone have to play 433. And what happened to the Support Striker role.

Like I'm looking at Arsenal, with Partey there, why can't we play 2 in the middle. Saka on left, Willian/Pepe right with Laca and Auba up top, and Laca dropping kinda behind Auba.

Am an idiot, or could this work?:ld:

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Question for you tactics people. Why does everyone have to play 433. And what happened to the Support Striker role.

Like I'm looking at Arsenal, with Partey there, why can't we play 2 in the middle. Saka on left, Willian/Pepe right with Laca and Auba up top, and Laca dropping kinda behind Auba.

I think its analytics that affected that mindset. I personally 100% agree but the game seems more obsessed with outnumbering the midfield due to how important midfield is in the game.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps

you will probably get destroyed in the middle if you only play with two midfielders, dont think laca could play behind auba, it will be the same issue as with guys like ozil, james or isco no defensive work rate ( not so much james now with everton) most coaches dont wanna give up the midfield like that.

in the same token arsenal dont really have the personnel to play a 4-3-3, at least i dont think so

the number 10 role/2nd striker is mostly dead, its sad to see, but most creativity is coming from the wings nowadays so

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

Simple reason is, teams wanted the extra midfielder not to lose the midfield battle. Especially in the mid 00's when you had Chelsea 433, Barca 433 and Milan 4312/4321 playing with 3 man midfields.

The SS role/player either became the false 9/main forward, so the likes of Totti & Di Natale or even a RVP, who went from W to SS to 9. Or moved out to the wings like Gooney and Tevez were for United. Or they were either replaced or moved slightly deeper as the AM/#10 like Thomas Muller. Then you have someone like Neymar who is a combo of SS/AM/W, but he is really a SS in old money.

433 gives more options for attacking. As your DM can drop back and become a third CB if needed or jsut stays as the screen. Which allows the FB to push up higher and your wingers play inside more in between the lines, taking up the role of a SS. And you have 2 CM's attacking instead of 1 in the double pivot. Which matches up with the defending side if they are playing a double pivot, thus somewhere you should have an man advantage. Also defensively you can hide a weaker defensive player better in a 433. So like Rijkaard did with Dinho, he moved him to LW. Usually in a 442/4231 if the FB/Wide player gets past the winger who doesnt track, your FB will get isolated and you have to pull one of the pivots out and if the team doesnt shift, you'll create space. In the 433 you have the LCM/RCM who can close down/press the flanks as if it was the winger/wide midfielder. Also with the 433 its easier to transition to 4141/343/3421/541 if needed.

What you said for Arsenal can and should work because it puts everyone in their natural position. But the possession whores want that extra man in midfield. Not sure who should play alongside Partey, i guess Elneny. :ld: As he is more mobile than Ceballos and Xhaka and defensively minded

Last edited:

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you will probably get destroyed in the middle if you only play with two midfielders, dont think laca could play behind auba, it will be the same issue as with guys like ozil, james or isco no defensive work rate ( not so much james now with everton) most coaches dont wanna give up the midfield like that.

in the same token arsenal dont really have the personnel to play a 4-3-3, at least i dont think so

the number 10 role/2nd striker is mostly dead, its sad to see, but most creativity is coming from the wings nowadays so

Laca has great work rate. I'm not worried about possession. We dont do anything with it.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think its analytics that affected that mindset. I personally 100% agree but the game seems more obsessed with outnumbering the midfield due to how important midfield is in the game.

But I've watched us against Liverpool at times, and barely anything is going through the middle. Everything is on the Wing. For both teams.